280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

280ZX (NA) to 280ZX Turbo swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 09:35 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

go bleach go. i want to see that baby fly in BC.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:17 PM
The Evil Twin

Ok, on my question about the temp gauge I just took a mini zip tie and tied to two plug together and plugged one in! hehe.. ghetto rigged so now the Turbo ECU can see the temp and my dash temp gauge works. Muahaha!

The car runs ok. It did drive. I won't go full throttle because it starts to backfire out the intake when I get on it too much. Could be running lean? But its only doing this at 3K rpm.
Also, that BOV is hissing and going off almost all the time... like its under boost while driving easy at 1800rpm. I'm not sure, but I don't think it should be boosting while driving 35mph in 4th gear. what do you think? I think it is boosting at idle and that's why the idle stays so high all the time.

I put a good amount of penetrating oil on the wastegate mechanism and then moved it a little with some pliers. The rubbers hoses from the wastegate actuator to the turbo are all new so there are no leaks there.

Could this all be from a vacuum leak? I don't see one but maybe one of my blockoff plates is not working or something like that. Would that leak caust it to boost prematurely?

Old 07-09-2006, 10:36 PM

Is it registering positive pressure, or "0" boost or vacuum?

If it's showing zero on your boost gauge, there's a leak somewhere.

As for your BOV constantly releasing, you've first got to figure how it operates. Be sure the vacuum line running to the top of your BOV goes to the intake manifold AFTER the throttle body, in the plenum. This way, the BOV will read both intake pressure and vacuum [when your throttle plate closes]. Under boost, the intake obviously sees this pressure, and its transferred through the hose to the BOV, which uses intake pressure to stay closed.

If you've got a manifold leak somewhere, your BOV will float, and your idle will be unnaturally high. That was the case with my Pontiac Sunbird GT Turbo, I had a vacuum line get brittle, and crack, and it idled at 2200revs, showing "0" on the boost gauge. Even that tiny vacuum port messed with my car. Be sure to once-over everything.

I think I've found your problem, Bleach. Check your manifold over once or thrice, make absolutely sure there's no leaks.

Last edited by Dorifto; 07-09-2006 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:50 PM
The Evil Twin

I kind of had that idea so ya, I'll go check for leaks again. Thanks.

also, I dont' have a boost gauge. I'm running NA gauges in the car and I don't own a boost gauge yet. I'm relying on the POV and BOV to keep me from overboosting in case of a problem with the wastegate... for now. I will get a gauge soon.

You could probably see from the pics that the BOV hose is going to the middle of the manifold. I'm getting the signal from right next to the FPR hose. I see it working properly when I move the throttle by hand and watch the BOV

Here are some pics for you folks.

don't mount the AAC unit here, move it back a couple inches or else the radiator will hit it.

- - - -
How about this stupid thing... could my vacuum leak be going through this?
Old 07-09-2006, 11:30 PM

Uhh ...

... what is it?
Old 07-10-2006, 12:16 AM
Bleach is my Hero

mmmm mmm GOOD ISH MAN!!! I need to catch up.. oh wait still missing a z
Old 07-10-2006, 12:40 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Wow Bleach verry nice man. That scheme under your hood is tight. And I really dig the rising sun on the hood. Way to go brother, keep it up.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:42 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by s/cL3.0
mmmm mmm GOOD ISH MAN!!! I need to catch up.. oh wait still missing a z
Hopefully what I found for you. You should have 2 Z's, and slicktops to boot.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:02 AM
The Evil Twin

Get rid of the VW's and only have Z's!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:58 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Bleach
- - - -
How about this stupid thing... could my vacuum leak be going through this?
That's for the air regulator & AAC port. It will idle poorly if pinched. Does it look cracked?
Old 07-10-2006, 08:21 AM
The Evil Twin

All hoses are brand new as well as all hose clamps. It looks ... new, and not kinked

Every single vacuum hose and fuel hose on that car is new except for the valve cover vent hose which looks to be in good shape. That hose has a unique pre-formed shape to it so I reinstalled it.

I'm just wondering if one of those items on the intake is bypassing air from that hose... I'll check tonight when I get home. I didn't go back out and work on my car last night. I drove the Toyota today.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:25 AM
The Good Twin

Did you hook up the stock 280zxt boost sensor? And it kinda sounds like you need to adjust the AFM.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:33 AM
The Evil Twin

no, the boost sensor is not installed at all. The port for it is used for the BOV. I removed the small port and replaced it with the larger size one (from the canister on the NA engine) so I could run the larger BOV hose to it.

Should I plug in the boost sensor and run a hose to the intake anyway? ...even though I dont' have the stock gauge; will this be good info for the ECU?
Old 07-10-2006, 08:51 AM
The Good Twin

When I first did my turbo swap, my boost gauge wouldn't work... even w/ the hose hooked up right.... and my car really struggled to get past 3k. I got a diff boost sensor from the junk yard & it helped a lot... tho it seems like the boost sensor isn't tied to the ecu???
Old 07-10-2006, 09:59 AM
The Evil Twin

correct. The boost sensor plugs in on the coil wiring harness section. That piece does have an 8 wire plug that connects to the ECU harness so it is possible that it gives a signal there. Everyone that does an S30 turbo swap has said nothing about using the factory boost sensor. Right now I don't even have those wires spliced in.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:39 PM
The Evil Twin

Problem 1 fixed: I adjusted the stopper on the gas pedal so now the throttle can close all the way. It now idles at proper rpm

Still an issue is my unsteady idle. The culprit is the BOV. I can see it opening and closing moving the rpms up and down. Pinching the vacuum line does nothing so it is only repsonding to pressure in the J-pipe. Is this BOV just no good or what?

Because of this large leak the power is very touchy untill 2K rpm then it seems fine. But above 3K I think I need more fuel flow... so I'll install the turbo fuel pump. Maybe I should just run no BOV?!? I want my psssst!
Old 07-10-2006, 08:04 PM

Boost sensor is not needed for anything but the factory gauge. It doesn't affect the way the car runs at all. Mine is removed and the car runs perfectly from Idle to redline.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Originally Posted by Bleach
Maybe I should just run no BOV?!? I want my psssst!
Here you go bleach! Wade sends this one with love. He has it on his civic right now
http://www.takakaira.co.jp/accessori...ightpager.html
Old 07-10-2006, 08:57 PM
The Evil Twin

oh wow, that's the solution I've been waiting for! electric BOV sound generator...

I plugged the BOV hole after removing it and the car idles great. It still pops out the intake if you press the pedal down too quickly but if you ease into it the car revvs up to 4K in neutral. I can hear the turbo spooling now and no BOV sound..
How can I be fast and furious without a real BOV?!

oh and then after letting the car idle for another 5 minutes it got to full temp and died. I couldn't get it started again and the engine now reaks of fuel... uuuhh... I'm glad I wasn't out away from the house
Old 07-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Big Poppa

your too rich? might want to do your timing? and your afm adjustment. i really dont know what to say on the dieing thing
Old 07-11-2006, 01:33 AM
The Evil Twin

I replaced the spark plugs with turbo plugs. I was using the ones from my NA before and they got fouled out. Not hot enough.

I'm pretty sure its too lean. I'll put the correct fuel pump in tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:43 AM

This probably isn't the problem with the dying but I had a 1987 Grand Marquis with a busted thermostat (didn't know it at the time) and what was happening was the car would heat up to operating temperature and keep on going. The computer would shut the car down as a safety precaution to protect the motor.

Are you going soley by bits and pieces of information or did you happen about a book or huge article about how to do this swap? Im trying to decide if I'd just be better off searching for an actual turbo car somewhere else and making the drive to get it, or if the turbo swap is really worth it. Either way my 2+2 is a heavy bitch.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
i'd like to do a turbo swap--anyone like to helpme?? i'd like to swap my turbo for some MONEY
Old 07-11-2006, 01:55 PM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by z-hag
i'd like to do a turbo swap--anyone like to helpme?? i'd like to swap my turbo for some MONEY
oh, you don't like forced induction?
Old 07-11-2006, 08:01 PM
The Evil Twin

Installing the turbo fuel pump made no difference at all.

At one point I retarded the distributor all the way and it seemed to run great! Almost no popping and would rev right up to nearly 5K in neutral. (I didn't try to go any higher) so I let it idle a minute and shut the car off. I tightened down the two bolts at the base of the distributor and once I started it back up it was doing the same popping thing again and won't quit!

I swapped out the AFM for another one and it does the exact same thing. I tried unplugging the oxygen sensor to get it to run a little more rich and it does the same thing!!!
I am not a happy camper

Quick Reply: 280ZX (NA) to 280ZX Turbo swap