280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

280ZX (NA) to 280ZX Turbo swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Doesn't post much...

I only know that from dicking with my car for the last 3.5 years, running rich seems to be a common and irritating problem that is very elusive. I'm still running rich and can't figure out why. As most of you know, I replaced virtually EVERY part on my car that would effect the mixture to no avail. My last and only hope is to replace the AFM. I know that the one currently in my car is not from the same year car so it's almost certainly the culprit. Still, I don't recall too many posts about anyone having a lean condition on an n/a car...

Rod.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:10 AM
The Evil Twin

Tony D is saying vacuum leaks cause the Bosch FI system to run rich... so basically any issues with our FI will cause a rich condition.

I was thinking my spark plugs show signs of proper or lean condition.
I'm going to do a compression test tonight. Maybe a valve got tight and I have one cylinder burning up the exhaust valve. that'll be fun

anyway, things on my list:
PCV valve, oil change, new plugs, compression, AFM swap/clean/check something...

A good cruise HC count is a sign that your oxygen sensor is working... so considering mine is far less at cruise, I'll assume my 1 yr old O2 sensor is ok.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Big Poppa

dude, pull #5 and trust me, itll pass flying colors. ive done it aboot a dozen times on zeds that fail, and they ALL passed, just cause its multi port, doesnt mean that that cylinder wont get fuel, the injectors are batch fired, and pulling one makes it run a little rough, but it really helps the readings. up here we are as tight as cali too.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:07 PM

LOL yep im gonna drink a shot of ever clear and then poor the rest in my fuel tank and fuel up... do u really think that would work ? nismopick ?
Old 06-27-2006, 05:17 PM

have you tried adjusting the by pass screw on the AFM Bleach??? That will lean out your idle mixture real good and it has a slight affect on cruise speeds. Since you're cruise speed levels were only slightly off that may be all you need to do. Problem is that you need a means of measuring what your adjustments are doing. But worst case scenario, too lean will generally pass an emissions test. And it's at no risk to your engine cause the by pass doesn't have an effect up higher in the power band where running lean can cause damage.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:58 AM
The Evil Twin

I have two AFMs, and I installed the 'old' one that came stock on my car. I never had a problem with it but I came accross a rebuilt unit (or so it said) a while back and used it for a while recently. I also replaced the FPR with an old used one from an NA motor. New spark plugs, new PCV valve, and the car is back to running as good as it had before. (maybe better, but its hard to tell) The idle still studders a little but I also forgot to borrow the compression tester last night so I'm delayed another day. I'll test the compression tonight. I did notice that #1 spark plug was wet. The others looked dry and tan. My NGK wires are about 3 months old. I put them on before my road trip in April.
Maybe its time for a new cap and rotor... I suppose if one cylinder was getting fuel but no spark that could have caused all my problems....in theory

So I'm driving the Z again today to go through the mid grade fuel I usually run. I'll do the low octain with additive trick and run the car down the freeway for a good while before I test next time.

So, if I have no issues, I should be able to remove an L28, change out the steering rack, install new tie rod ends, and drop in an L28 in maybe 3 days??? then there's the turbo coil wiring which I'm not sure why I need to run the turbo wires to power the coil... but we'll see
Old 06-29-2006, 07:01 PM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by Bleach
Well screw it! I went through again and barely failed. It passed three tests but failed the idle HC again.
Got 149 on the cruise and 318 at idle. The studder is still there though which means I've got other issues...
I think I'll just rip the engine out tonight.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Crucial. Well what are you going to drive now? I thought the Z was your daily?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:12 PM
The Evil Twin

I'm borrowing a CRV to drive now but I only have two weeks left to borrow it... so thats why I must do something fast.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:17 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Well I wish you luck. Just take your time and dont stress too much.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:21 PM
The Evil Twin

oh, I'm stressin'
Old 06-30-2006, 06:58 AM
Big Poppa

hurry bleach, 15 days till the meet!!!! hahahaha, if ya need ill give you an daily count-down. just kidding, take your time, and itll get done fast enough, the actual mechanics of the swap only take a day, its the other stuff that adds time!
Old 06-30-2006, 09:13 AM
The Evil Twin

well, I unexpectidly had my daughter over last night. Although thats not a bad thing, I didn't get much time in on the car.

The hood and bumper are off... so ya that's about 30 minutes of work. My buddy is probably stopping by this weekend. He's done CA18 and SR20 swaps in his 510 before and he seems to know what he's doing and works pretty fast. (hyper guy too) I'll try to get the NA pulled or ready to yank out by late tonight. Drop the other L28 in and then the meticulous work comes... wiring and more wiring. I'll see then why the turbo coil wires must be swapped. Seems to me that since I'm keeping the NA dash and cassis wiring that the coil will still power on the same as before. Same with the fuel pump... the turbo ECU powers on at the fusable link box which looks to be the same number of power wires as before. If I run into any problems though, its just a matter of making a basic relay box and manually turning everything on.
and I still have the old turbo ZX body out in the yard with whats left of the wiring.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:24 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Go Bleach! GO!
Old 06-30-2006, 03:11 PM

Good luck man
Old 06-30-2006, 03:16 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Same here Bleach, hopefully everything works out for you. And things fall into place, we're behind you bro'
Old 06-30-2006, 05:11 PM
The Good Twin

Yeah you punk! We're all rootin for ya, so don't let us down!!! It's all on you....... but no pressure!
Old 06-30-2006, 06:19 PM
The Evil Twin

My hope rests on the power of my Zdriver brethren and the hood of the rising sun...
Old 06-30-2006, 08:31 PM
Big Poppa

dude, is that hood yours? if so, put it on for the trip just for giggles, your gonna have yours off anyway
Old 06-30-2006, 08:34 PM

ooo.. Nice hood... Did you paint that yourself?
Old 06-30-2006, 08:51 PM
The Evil Twin

ya, that's what I worked on last week. I took my extra hood that was dented up. I poured bondo all over it and shaved off the small vent with bondo. Its just spray paint but it looks good right now and of course I'm gonna sport that hood!
The car comes out with turbo engine and rising sun hood all at once
This is kind of a thing that a couple 510 guys did around here and I thought it looked pretty good so I'm joining the rising sun cult for a while.

I think I'm making some pretty good progress... basically everything is off the engine. Just tranny bolts and engine mounts now and its out. gotta take a break 4 sum fude!

Once I'm about ready to get my real paint job the purple hood will be used for that one. I'm liking the one vent look though...

you can check out my hood painting here:

Last edited by Bleach; 06-30-2006 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:57 PM

It actually looks pretty good. Iv always wanted to see a Z with a really neat rising sun paintjob. And i didnt notice the one vent, it looks great
Old 06-30-2006, 08:57 PM
The Good Twin

Well done on the hood thur Bleachie! I dig the single scoop look.... along w/ the rising sun!
Old 06-30-2006, 10:39 PM
The Evil Twin

The engine is not quite out yet but there's not much left to unbolt. I need to get some rest tonight.

So I got my oil feed line. Stainless -4 with restrictor to put at the turbo. It has an aluminum plate that goes right on the T3. I still need to get a couple more fittings though. The BPT thread I got was not the right size. I think someone on Hybridz posted it was 1/8 inch but that' way too small. Probably 1/4 inch BST... anyway I'll get the whole thing put together and post what you need to buy. I got this from ATPturbo.com for pretty cheap. It'll end up running me about $100 for the whole setup once I get the right stuff. for you, it'll be a little cheaper since you wont' have to buy the wrong fittings first.

Here is the start of today. Already had the air dam and hood off.

And then at the end of the day... all junk is disconnected except the bottom bolts on the tranny and the engine mounts

and this is Bleach's Garage (.com)

Old 06-30-2006, 10:48 PM
The Good Twin

Me gusta!!! You runnin that oil feed from the oil pressure sensor to the turbo? It doesn't look long enough to me.

Quick Reply: 280ZX (NA) to 280ZX Turbo swap