280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

WildmaN's 1982 280zx, Transformers: Decepticon "Wreckless" conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:17 PM
From NY to AZ

Those look exactly like my Rikens
Old 03-10-2008, 07:48 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

^ Yeah they do, don't they? Those wheels have actually been growing on me. Since back in '02, when I first saw them on a slicktop 280zx 2 seater, down the street from me. Now since I have seen yours up close. And also seeing them on the turbo 280zx on ebay. I think they really will fit my whole Decepticon theme, with my slicktop.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:26 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Here is something rare, I won for my slicky. And the seller, is going to hook me up with the remaining black interior parts I need.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWN:IT&ih=021

Old 03-19-2008, 02:10 AM
From NY to AZ

Nice find. Does he have the panel that goes on the other side? That is the only interior piece I'm missing.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:42 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by 007max
Nice find. Does he have the panel that goes on the other side? That is the only interior piece I'm missing.
Sorry for not getting back to you. Unfortunately he does have that piece. But that is the one, I am getting for my slicktop. I will keep an eye out for you though bro'.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:44 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well...a little update for all of you. I have decided to put new injectors and E.F.I. parts on my slicktop. To eliminate other future problems. As soon as I get caught up on things. And have some extra money. I will start to work on my Z again. And my goal is..to hopefully have it on the road by summertime..Will keep you all updated on it..
Old 05-04-2008, 05:21 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well just scored on some black door sills for my '82 slicktop. Getting closer to having my all black interior. Only need the rear cubby and the glovebox. And I will be finished. I can't wait to work on it again.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...217644395&rd=1
Old 05-20-2008, 06:47 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I scored on the glovebox, and rear cubby from somebody. Now all I think I need is the rear taillight panel. Unfortunately I am strapped for cash. And am still jobless. My goal now..is to have this Z on the road by the end of summer. I will keep you all posted. Oh and pics will follow, after I get the parts.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:09 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Wildman, have you considered just having it all re-covered in black?

I got tired of trying to dig up all the original black components and just had them all professionally recovered.

You could save a bunch of money and do it yourself if you can't swing paying someone else to do it. It's just some black vinyl add a heat gun, glue, a razor blade and some time.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:17 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by lww
Wildman, have you considered just having it all re-covered in black?

I got tired of trying to dig up all the original black components and just had them all professionally recovered.

You could save a bunch of money and do it yourself if you can't swing paying someone else to do it. It's just some black vinyl add a heat gun, glue, a razor blade and some time.
Oh you mean the taillight panel? I would, but it is pretty much gone. I have to get another one anyway. But possibly, I might have one in another color lying around. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:21 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Having read your turbo conversion thread, I'm retracting my previous "tip" and instructing you to get a job before you buy a single tube of vinyl glue.

Don't make me come all the way to AZ to crack your skull.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:23 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by lww
Having read your turbo conversion thread, I'm retracting my previous "tip" and instructing you to get a job before you buy a single tube of vinyl glue.

Don't make me come all the way to AZ to crack your skull.
Hey man it's cool. Don't worry, I am smarter than that. I am only buying fuel, food, and paying the bills to live. That is it....I am broke and pinching hard. Thanks for the promising beat down...lol
Old 05-29-2008, 03:45 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Allright another update on this project. I cancelled the insurance on my slicktop for now. Because I want to save money, and it will be a while before I get it on the road. So here is what I am going to do. Once I have extra money again.

Taking the exhaust and intake manifolds off...Then take everything off the intake...clean it up. And also maybe clean up and polish the valve cover. Or paint it black..or maybe another color. (haven't decided on that yet)

Replace all the fuel injectors with new ones...Also get a K & N filter for my stock airbox. Put an MSD ignition with all new tune up parts.

Also I think my master cylinder went bad. So I am going to buy a new one. And rebleed the whole brake system again.

Take off the crappy exhaust manifold...Clean up my headers..and maybe paint them. Get a collector pipe for them. Also get the header gasket from MSA. Like I did with my T-top Z.

Also I want to take off the power steering pump. And tie the lines together. I really hate power steering on these cars. And wish I would have bought the manual rack for it. But it was so much work. I don't want to start over. And I have been driving my '82 T-top since I got him on the road. With the pump off, and the lines just hanging upright in the engine bay.

Then of course before putting everything back. Clean up in the engine bay what I can. And make it all nice.

While all this is going on..I am going to redo my interior all in black. With my stereo that plays my ipod. More to come on this..when I get underway.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:16 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well just wanted to keep this thread active. So far my new job is going well. (Knock on wood) Anyway I plan in a couple of weeks or so. To start working on my slicktop. I will be taking some before pics. And then the after pics, after I get more close to completed. Will keep you all posted as always.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:48 AM
Über User

what do you do at this job?
Old 06-06-2008, 03:26 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
what do you do at this job?
I deal with computer parts. I am in the shipping receiving area right now. But I talked to the head guy today. Asking about maybe moving up to assembler. And then learn to be a computer tech. And work on getting my A + certified document. I think I have found my calling. I love electronics..and always have.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:15 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Good, you can come up here and solder all the leads for my MS&S wiring harness to the AMP DB37 connector for me!
Old 06-07-2008, 11:01 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by lww
Good, you can come up here and solder all the leads for my MS&S wiring harness to the AMP DB37 connector for me!
Are you sure you want me to do that? Of course I am sure it wouldn't be that hard for me to do. I did solder my fuel injector wires on my Slicktop. And they turned out great. But of course what you are talking about would require a little more precision. I will get back to you on that. lol
Old 06-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Über User

yeah im thinking maybe if i go MS and build myself i'll have to hire my electrical engineer buddy to do the job.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:19 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

The great thing about the harness that comes with the MS from DIYAutoTune.com is the wires are all labeled every 5 inches! So it's really a pretty easy job, just takes a good soldering iron, a steady hand and a good quality solder. With my Weller digital soldering station, I've got at least 2 of the three covered...
Old 07-07-2008, 12:26 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay update on this long going project.

I have decided to work with what I have. Mainly being the lack of funds right now. I got laid off...where I was working. And I am going to go through my stuff I have. And start putting stuff up on Ebay. I am going to look around the web. Because my resume is posted on some of the job sites.

Anyway I am going to take the fuel system apart. Clean the injectors and such. Change the oil...so it is more fresh. Replace the fuel filter and such. Work on getting my all black interior finished. I have the last remaining parts coming my way. I paid for them a month or 2 ago. The guy had a virus on his comp. And he lost the information. Anyway so pics will follow all that, while it is going on. So no headers and such right now. I just need to get the Z on the road. With little money as possible used. Will keep you all posted as always.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:07 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Ok...I went and had the battery tested at Sears. And it turned out to be good. So I decided to work on the slicktop a little today. Well I got it to fire up..pretty easily. And it was running good...well for 3 cylinders. I checked the injector plugs. And they are getting the signal from the ECU. But still 4-5-6...are not running. I am at a loss right now. And sitting here..trying to figure it out. Also my stupid temp gauge isn't working. And I think the car is still overheating. So any suggestions and tips..would be appreciated.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:22 PM

good deal on picking that up, mines the same exact car but mines T top and different rims. i also picked mine up for $400. needs ALOT of TLC with body work. (living in florida) so i have been busy on body work with mine constantly but i will get it back into shape hopfully soon.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:25 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by WildmaN
But still 4-5-6...are not running.
Are 4, 5, & 6 getting spark? Fuel?

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Also my stupid temp gauge isn't working. And I think the car is still overheating.
How do you know it's overheating if the temp gauge isn't working? It would take a bit of time for it to overheat on three cylinders...
Old 08-08-2008, 12:57 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

I will probably check it out this weekend. I am pretty sure I am getting spark to them. I am still thinking about taking them off. And soaking them..and clean them up. Anyway I know it is overheating because...the hose is real hot..and it starts bogging. And losing power. And of course I have had trouble with the Z overheating. Ever since I got it. I will let you all know..what I find out. And thanks for the suggestions..Keep 'em coming..

Quick Reply: WildmaN's 1982 280zx, Transformers: Decepticon "Wreckless" conversion