280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

WildmaN's 1982 280zx, Transformers: Decepticon "Wreckless" conversion

Old 08-09-2008, 08:47 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay..I'm at a loss at this point. I spent pretty much all day working on my Z. Well I decided to swap the fuel rails and injectors. No difference..it is still running on 3 cylinders. The rail that was on my slicktop..does run on my T-top. But...it will bog out..and run like crap. So I think the injectors are bad. Then to top it off.. I ruined 2 cold start valves..trying to get them off. Ugh!! what a crappy day. I definately need to get out and unwind. Anyway I am getting spark..I don't know about fuel. I have to wait to get another cold start valve. Or plug it off at the rail. At any rate..I will also need to get new injectors. Because tomorrow...I am swapping my good injectors back onto my Bluestreak. So any suggestions tips..or thoughts on this. Would be greatly appreciated. And thank you ahead of time..

Last edited by WildmaN; 08-09-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Über User

take off the fuel rail from the manifold just let it point in the air and crank the car either they all spray or they all dont. also might be worth checking compression and even firing order. lol last one sounds silly but idk sometimes you just get confused and cross plug wires
Old 11-03-2008, 12:04 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay...since I probably have a buyer for my '83. When I get it running and cleaned up some. I am going to start working on my '82 slicktop again. Will keep you all updated on the progress. It probably wont restart until Saturday the 15th of November. This coming Saturday is booked. Anyway soon..I will work on it again. And hopefully get it back on the road before the end of the year. I'll keep you posted.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:01 AM

hey i am local and have a lot of spare engine parts if u need to borrow to see what up with it.. i sent u a PM
Old 11-03-2008, 09:41 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by gostlrs
hey i am local and have a lot of spare engine parts if u need to borrow to see what up with it.. i sent u a PM
Sounds good man. I sent you a PM back with my info. Get back to me..and we will go from there.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:45 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well...as mentioned in my other thread. I am going to start reworking on my slicktop again. I need to put the fuel rail and such back on. And also recharge the battery. Because it has been sitting for a while. lol Really nothing else to mention. Will probably update next weekend. Or whenever I make some progress on it.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:52 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay..I know it has been a while for an update. But I am ready to tackle my slicktop again. And I also need some help. I feel kind of stupid right now. But how do I go about extracting bolts? I need to know..what to do with the drill bit. And then which direction..I am supposed to drill the extractor into the bolt. Anyway...I am trying to extract broken bolts. That hold the cat heat shield on. Pretty much all of them are rusted..and broken off inside the body. Then after...I get those all out. And put the shield back on..with some other good bolts. I am going to concentrate on putting the engine back together. (pretty much the top part) And then work on getting it running.

So any tips and or info..would be much appreciated. I am going to tackle this task today. When I get up a little later. And thanks in advance.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:57 AM
Haterade by da gallon!

if you have the ones that i have you drill out a small area in the bolt shank then put in the spiral bit (which is the opposite of a regular drill but) put the drill in the foward rotation and drill it out, but if its just the heat shield i would figure you could just drill the bolt out and replace it because they are such small bolts...

EDIT*** oh and PB blaster or anything of the like works wonders...
Old 03-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Über User

you will probably break the extractors im not going to lie. to do it, you get a punch with a fine point, make and indentation with it right dead center of the bolt, use that as a guide to start a small drill bit, go through, then step up the drill bit sizes little by little otherwise you'll never make it through the bolt, then use the extractor, it will tap in by turning counter clockwise. if i was you though, i'd just drill the bitch out and not use the heat shield over the cat if you don't have to pass inspections. not even guaranteed they will see it gone.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:25 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
you will probably break the extractors im not going to lie. to do it, you get a punch with a fine point, make and indentation with it right dead center of the bolt, use that as a guide to start a small drill bit, go through, then step up the drill bit sizes little by little otherwise you'll never make it through the bolt, then use the extractor, it will tap in by turning counter clockwise. if i was you though, i'd just drill the bitch out and not use the heat shield over the cat if you don't have to pass inspections. not even guaranteed they will see it gone.
It's not inspections..that I'm concerned with. The heat shield...actually keeps the heat away from the center of the interior in the car. Without it...the floor gets quite warm. And I don't want new carpet..that I got. To melt to the floor..because of the heat. That is why...I am trying to get the broken bolts out. And put the heat shield back on. Once I get through smog. Then I can take my cat off. And put my straight pipe back on. But until then....I need to keep the heat off the floor of my car.

Thanks for the tips..much appreciated. I will get on it soon. Maybe today....not sure yet..lol
Old 03-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

lol the ... ... ... makes me think your being held at gunpoint and your trying to give us a SOS message.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:47 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by 280zx2by2
lol the ... ... ... makes me think your being held at gunpoint and your trying to give us a SOS message.
Lol...naw it is just something I do...in between sentences. I don't know...been doing it for long time. I guess you could say...it is different..lol
Old 03-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Über User

its incorrect, its like reading a speech impediment lol. its not always that noticeable but sometimes it is and it drives me nutty!!! also, it shouldnt make that much heat there is insulation to. you could always get an upgraded exhaust to then theres no cat and no hot spot. and is this the heat shield between the body and the exhaust? or the one that wraps on the outside of the exhaust? cause i dont see why you would have removed the one between the cat and body in the first place and the one i was thinking you were talking about would be on the outside of the cat which if removed isn't heat shielding ****.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:49 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

its incorrect, its like reading a speech impediment lol. its not always that noticeable but sometimes it is and it drives me nutty!!! also, it shouldnt make that much heat there is insulation to. you could always get an upgraded exhaust to then theres no cat and no hot spot. and is this the heat shield between the body and the exhaust? or the one that wraps on the outside of the exhaust? cause i dont see why you would have removed the one between the cat and body in the first place and the one i was thinking you were talking about would be on the outside of the cat which if removed isn't heat shielding ****.
I did need to remove it before. Because I had to replace the clutch. And the cat heat shield (which is bolted on the body underneath) Was in the way of the driveline. So I had to move the shield out of the way. To get to the driveline. Because it was right underneath the body. Anyway without that shield. The floor gets hot. And I need it...until I get past smog. Then it wont matter after that.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Über User

well thats how you use the extractor. good luck lol. maybe try drilling and tapping if nothing else works.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:05 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

well thats how you use the extractor. good luck lol. maybe try drilling and tapping if nothing else works.
Thanks man...yeah I'll probably tackle it next Saturday. I'll let you know how it went.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:46 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay....I got the slicktop running. It has a little miss. But overall, it's firing pretty good. I already transfered my insurance from my t-top to my slicktop. And I am going to get a 30 day permit. So I can drive it, and work the bugs out.

Sorry no pics. My camera was being a pain. I put new batteries in it. And it said battery empty. lol I even tested them with my multimeter. And it still said it. So I don't know what is wrong with it. It is was quite irritating, to say the least.

Anyway, I swapped the tires and wheels out from my t-top. And the rear suspension. I have a few more things to work out. And should be good to go. I am going over, and taking it my brother. So he can align my front end. The toe is too far out on each end. So very close. I am so psyched, because I really needed this car to run for me. And it is doing well. That is all at the moment. Will keep you all posted.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:36 AM

Good luck man, I'm on hold until November/December before I can actually get my hands on my z again.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:22 PM
From NY to AZ

Not suggesting you do anything illegal, but just go ahead and swap the plates from the car with the blown motor to this one. No one will ever know the difference
Old 09-14-2009, 02:06 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

^ I wish it was that simple. As said in my Dead Z thread. All my Z's are out of commission. It has been one of the worst weeks in a long time for me. Two Z's, one overheated, and blew a head Thursday, on the way to work. The other just decided to blow the head gasket earlier today.

But hopefully there is a silver cloud to this mess. I talked to a guy at Checker, about my dilemna. And he said, he had a friend. That rebuilt a L28. And still hasn't hooked it up. Because he wants to put a 350 in his Z. I know, sickening. But maybe I can get the motor cheap. And be able to get another Z back on the road. He gave me his number. I will probably call him tomorrow. Will keep you all informed. In the meantime, it is the V-8 Firebird for now.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:30 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I am resurrecting this thread, with a different title and theme. (thanks to Bleach Anyway I am not really sure of what is going to happen. But since I was taking the stuff off the motor. To rebuild the head. I will continue, even if there is a chance they could take the car.

Now that out of the way. Here are some pics of my progress here recently. And I will update this thread more often now. Enjoy.

Body pics
Name:  019-1.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  47.4 KB
Name:  010-5.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  71.0 KB
Name:  018.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  58.1 KB
Engine pics, with the beginning of the rebuilding process:
Before
Name:  013-2.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  70.0 KB
Name:  012-3.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  70.5 KB
During..
Name:  017-1.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  56.3 KB
Name:  011-2.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  64.6 KB

That is all for now, more to come. Stay posted...
Old 12-24-2009, 05:10 PM

good luck man. i gotta get the tranny back in mine.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:24 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

^ Thank you man, appreciate it. And good luck with the tranny. I wish mine were that simple. Putting a tranny in, is a piece of cake to me. What I have to do, is much more work and time. lol

As everybody knows, the future of my Z's and such. Are up in the air right now. Because of my bankruptcy. I thought maybe I could talk to the lawyers, in maybe keeping the 2 Z's I want to keep. And convincing them, that I would like to have another car available. In case something goes wrong. As at the same time. Distributing the miles to both the Z, and the Neon. So I don't drive the legs off one car. Any thought on this? Any input would be appreciated.

Besides all that. I am really dilligently working on my house right now. So after I get married, there will be minor things to worry about. Then maybe after all that. And things get cleared up better. I can concentrate on working on my slicktop Z again. My fiancee, knows how much I miss driving my Z. And how much, I love those cars. She feels bad for me. So all that said, I will update here. When I have something new to report, or new pics to post. Until then..pray for me. And thanks.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:19 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

A little quick update. I decided, that once my house is ready. And cleaned up, with everything I need to do. I am going to work on my slicktop, and put another cylinder head on it. I'm not going to worry about what is happening in the future to it. (bankruptcy issue) I want to get it going. So I have another car that runs. That I can depend on. Anyway I made a thread in the wanted section. If anybody can help, feel free to post, and or contact me. And thanks again.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:48 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Another quick little update. When I talked to my brother a little over a week ago. He said that my cylinder head was fine. And everything was working correctly. So probably next month. I will take the head to the machine shop, and have it inspected. And to make sure, it is not warped. If so, have it shaved, then put it back on the engine. I'll keep you all posted as always.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WildmaN's 1982 280zx, Transformers: Decepticon "Wreckless" conversion