280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

WildmaN's 1982 280zx, Transformers: Decepticon "Wreckless" conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 01:20 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Here you go 007, here is a link directly to the p/s hoses.
http://www.blackdragonauto.com/icatalog/z/t.asp?page=86
Old 05-19-2007, 08:01 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Here are some pics of my F-40 wing mounted. It was a pain in the ****, oh well, will have to make it better later on. Not bad for an amateur, which doesn't know much about mounting things. Also yes, this is a rough draft, the car will look better. I just had to get a break from the mechanical end of the Z. Don't want to get burned out on working on it. Anyway here they are for you, and feel free to comment.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:12 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Get the badges off, weld up the holes, clean up the surface rust, put on a nice layer of primer and you'll be good to go!
Old 05-20-2007, 09:14 AM
From NY to AZ

That looks good man. Now, as LWW said, clean up that back panel and spray some primer. Nothin like having a Z thats all one color... even if it is primer gray. Thats why I'm holding off on any bodywork until I can address it all at one time.

Thanks for the link to the power steering components. I tried to look for them on MSA's site, but they don't have any steering components listed for the ZX at all.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:25 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

^^ Thanks guys appreciate it much. and 007, no problem man anytime, glad to help a fellow Z brother out. Keep us updated on your Z also bud. You have come a long way too.

Allright, well I crashed at 5am this morning, and woke up before 9am. So I said screw it, and got up to tackle the Z. Well this is the most progress, I have got done on it. I had a problem with things not working, and my interior light fuse blowing. Well I spent a good couple hours on it. And pin pointed the problem. Turns out I had wires touching metal, which would short, causing the fuse to blow. I also found out how much is running with that certain fuse. Clock, volt gauge, all interior lights. So now everything works except my blower fan, which is the a/c fan, or whatever you call it. And my rear wiper for some reason doesn't work either. Not a huge deal, but it can come in handy sometimes. And my check light doesn't work. But I believe the cluster is to blame for that. I am going out in a bit, to swap out another cluster. And see if it helps or not.

Well hopefully I will also get a new windshield put in today. Might not, because some places are already closed, for the weekend. So I might have to wait until Tuesday or so. As soon as I do a few more things to the body and such. I will snap some more pics of my Z. Okay that is all for now, feel free to comment as always.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:05 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I ended up getting a windshield yesterday, woo hoo!! Man the car looks ten times better, just with the new windshield. So now I am real close to getting this Z on the road. A few more things to do, and he will be ready. I would say at the verry most a couple of weeks, could be less. Stay tuned, I will keep all of you posted.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Big Poppa

i saw the f-40 wing in your sig, so i noticed there was some progess in this thread, looks very nice wildman.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:15 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

^^Thanks Shady, much appreciated, bro'. Yeah I am slowly making progress. lol I am about to go out, and do some more work. Like finish getting my tie rods mounted. And maybe swapping hoods with my '83. We will see if I can do it by myself. If not, then I will have to wait, until I have help over here. I am strong, but not that strong. hehe I said it before, and I will say it again. Wow does my Z look 10 times better, with a new windshield. Okay well going out here, and do some more. Pics will follow in the near future, I promise you that.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:50 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Allright well, I got the tie rods bolted down on the control arms. Took both hoods off, that was the easy part. Now I am having trouble getting the good hood back on my Z. Do you have any idea how difficult it is, trying to do it by yourself? Extremely, the hoods aren't that heavy, I can lift, and carry them with no problem. It is going against the hood hinges, that is the hard part. I have been fighting with them for over an hour or so. And still haven't got one bolt to start. I have to push the hinge down, try to hold it, while getting a bolt to line up. I am majorly sore right now. I could use some help with this.

Just venting some, just a little frustrated that's all. I will get it figured out. I am almost there. So close now, I can feel it, and picture blasting down the road in my slicky.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:02 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well here it is everybody. A buddy of mine came over and helped me with my hood. This is a before and after with the hood, and windshield. Never mind the blue tape, lol; it is temporary. I want to leave it on a little longer. To make sure the trim is glued securely. Anyway feel free to comment. And this is only the beginning. More to come, verry soon. Count on it. hehe

Last edited by WildmaN; 05-27-2007 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:04 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Nicely done WildmaN!
Old 05-28-2007, 12:22 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

^^ Thanks lww, it was a lot of work. But well worth it, like I said, more to come, bet on it. Hey come to chat, I am hanging out there for a bit more. I still have the urge to mess around with my Z some more tonight.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:35 PM
From NY to AZ

What color tint do you have on the top of the windshield?

Mine is poo brown (from age I think) and I'd really like to change it to one that a blue strip on top like a lot of modern cars.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:41 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay, well I about to go out and tackle my clutch next. So close now, I actually worked on my Z, until 5am this morning. It was great, quiet, no sun, no mosquitos. Decent temp, well you get the idea. I got my air cleaner back on, and swapped the crappy head rest seat, for one of my highback ones. So the driver side seat is swapped. I may have to wait until I get the Z back down. To swap out the passenger side. We will see on that one, I guess.

More to come, and pics will follow soon. You can bet on that, so after the clutch. Off to the brakes, give him a tuneup. And then take him down to the alignment shop. Because I tried the best I could to straighten the front end. But alas to no avail, I can't get the wheels quite straight. So hopefully I can take him down successfully to a shop. And after that, it will be smooth sailing. Oh also I am still waiting for my power steering lines to arrive. I am a little preturbed. I think I will call black dragon auto tomorrow, and find out where they are at.

Okay that is all for now, will keep you all updated. I am so close now, the suspense is killing me. hehe
Old 05-28-2007, 07:25 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Nothing yet, I decided to wait until dark. So it will be cooled off, and I wont have to worry about getting bit by mosquitos lol. It is just so tedious doing the clutch. Not really hard work, just time consuming and such. With removing the cat shield, and cat with the exhaust. And then the driveline, plug the hole at the tranny, take speedo cable out, take slave cylinder out, take the bolts off the bell housing. etc... Well you get the picture, as I am sure most of you have done them.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:46 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay, well, I got some more progress done on my Z tonight. I got all the bolts out from the motor to the tranny. The starter, slave cylinder, cat shield, heat shield, cat itself. So I am close to getting my tranny out. So I can do my clutch. I still need to get the driveline out, while plugging the rear shaft of the tranny. The tranny mounts, and put a jack underneath, and slowly pull the tranny back enough, to do the clutch. Hopefully it will work that way.

After that, put my new power steering lines on, along with hooking the belt to operate the pump. Give him a fresh tuneup, and such. Fix the brakes, and bleed them. Get my instrument cluster back together, and get the interior cleaned up. And I believe a few other small things, here and there.

I also got my new black carpet yesterday from ebay. Woo hoo, totally stoked on that. It is going to make my interior 10 times better. And I am also getting seat upholstery from ebay for cheap. I asked the seller, to make sure, they are the ones I need for my '81 highback seats. I can't stand the headrest ones, I am too tall. lol

Will keep you updated as always, as I am so close to getting done. I would say another week, before, I take him to the alignment shop.

Oh yes one other thing, I want to make sure of. After I installed my F-40 wing on my Z. The hatch doesn't stay up on it's own. And I was told the shocks for the hatch were brand new. So I believe they are not strong enough for the wing. So I want to make sure, are the Z31 hatch struts, the ones I need?('84-'89) correct? Let me know, so I can order those brand new. And thanks.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:42 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by WildmaN
After I installed my F-40 wing on my Z. The hatch doesn't stay up on it's own. And I was told the shocks for the hatch were brand new.

Same here... my hatch usually won't stay up since the wing install. Tho sometimes it does hang for a few... then when I think it's gunna stay up, I stick my head in & let it whack me on the way down... tricky biotch!
Old 06-12-2007, 07:40 AM
From NY to AZ

Keep a pair of vice grips in the back, and any time you want the hatch to stay up just clamp them onto one of the support struts. Its ghetto but it works great
Old 06-12-2007, 10:42 AM

Broomstick.....
Old 06-14-2007, 11:46 AM

^ broomstick never failed me. Used it on my 280zx and i use one on my 260!

Eventually i might try these things called "hatch struts"...
Old 06-20-2007, 04:51 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Allright, got what I wanted accomplished this morning after work. I have the tranny hanging on the floor jack. The pressure plate, clutch disc, and throwout bearing are all out of the car. Now I need to get a puller tool, to seperate the the throwout bearing from the casing. I should be able to find it at a auto parts store, correct?

Anyway so close to getting this Z roadworthy. After the clutch, is the brakes, power steering lines. And putting the interior back together. Oh yeah and also a tuneup and such. New tires, alignment, etc... I would have said next weekend, I would be done. But I am going to southern california next weekend. So it should be done by the July 4th weekend. I am hoping. I don't see why not, I am so friggin' close. Wish me luck everybody, and thanks for your support.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:47 AM
Poor kid, no ruler

Sick car, bro! Great deal, and glad it's almost complete.

July 4th is my birthday so I expect some pics of the finished project.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:52 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

^ Thanks man, appreciate it, and happy early birthday bro'. It could be finished by then. I don't have too much left to do on it.

Anyway, I got the new clutch components on. And the tranny is almost bolted to the engine. Saturday, I will be working on it all day, and hopefully be almost done. We will see on that one. Hard to believe, but I am so close to having it on the road. Woo hoo!! I am pretty psyched about it.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:26 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Whew what a road trip to Tucson. I left just before 12pm today, and got back home after 4pm. Why do you ask? Because I drove out there, to save on shipping. I recently bought a bodykit from somebody on here. Okay I think you all know who it is. hehe Anyway it barely fit in my Z, all the way home. But it was worth it. I got home, and was wiped from the heat, and over 200 mile drive. My boy did good though, and I am proud of him. And it was also the furthest I have driven him, since I have owned him.

Also Nemesis is a cool individual, and I wish him the best of luck, on his 280zx turbo to 280z swap. Anyway I will try and get pics of the bodykit here soon. It is still sitting in my Z, lol Oh well I am just tired right now. Maybe this weekend, I will get pics of it, no promises though.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Über User

you got a z that will almost match that color to put it on? or yah just gonna spray it all? and yes pics fo sho

Quick Reply: WildmaN's 1982 280zx, Transformers: Decepticon "Wreckless" conversion