280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

WildmaN's 1982 280zx, Transformers: Decepticon "Wreckless" conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 05:55 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Talking WildmaN's 1982 280zx, Transformers: Decepticon "Wreckless" conversion

Yep you got it, I am getting another '82 280zx n/a slicktop. For $400, tomorrow, I will be getting the money, and title for it. And hopefully will get it towed home. She says it runs great, just needs to be gone through. It needs the brakes done, fuel system cleanedd, and a lot of T.L.C. She could have got more money for it. But she wanted a Z person, that loves these cars to get it. I told her it was in good hands. You are probably looking at my new daily driver, here verry soon. Allright enough, here are a few teaser pics for all of you. Enjoy, and feel free to comment.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:57 PM

Holy ****.. lol

I envy you guys who can just take something that's such a mess and restore it back.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:57 PM
The Good Twin

Woot Woot! Good find bro.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Doesn't post much...

Make sure you call Safelite to get that busted windshield replaced...

Rod.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:18 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by RodMoyes

Rod.
Ha ha yeah, I say whoever has the best price. Is there a Safelite here in AZ? Anyway the damage happened not that long ago. Some moron threw a rock at it, I suppose. The neighborhood the Z was in, was tweekerville. She pulled it out Sunday, because people were messing with it, and trying to steal it. Bastiges, anyway it is pretty rough. But if the engine is as strong as she says it is. I will be happy, just need to go through everything in the engine bay. And of course the brakes, probably need to be bled mostly. Also it has 96k and some change miles on it. She says it is pretty much the actual mileage. Even though the car looks like it has more. But it has had a hard life.

I told her, she has no worries about selling it. Or who it is going to, I said it is sold. I will definately take it off her hands. She is moving to Montana in not too long. She was slowly fixing it up, piece by piece. And she liked my interior in my '82. I showed it to her, so right then she knew her Z would be taken care of.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:10 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by RodMoyes

Rod.
(cough) SHILL (cough cough....)
Old 03-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Political n00b crusher

Sweeet!! Nice pick-up man!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:14 PM

Dude....is it a turbo? I see Turbo wheels.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:34 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by thxone
Dude....is it a turbo? I see Turbo wheels.
Nah I wish though, the first time I talked to somebody, they said it was. Until I talked to the owner, and found out it was an n/a. She thought is was a turbo, until I told her, it can't be because it is a slicktop, no turbo badges, and of course gauges, and no turbo itself. Well you get the meaning anyway. After she told me it was original, I knew it wasn't a turbo. It is allright though, I wanted another motor, so now I have a whole car, cheaper than getting a rebuilt motor.

By the way my username is in blue woo hoo! I am a full fledged member! Rock on!!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:37 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by SportBikeMike
Sweeet!! Nice pick-up man!
Thanks man, you rock! I will take more pics of it, after I get it home this week. I should have it running within a couple of weeks, I am sure. But as I have learned from my past experiences. Never set a timeline for these cars. So I will have it on the road, as soon, as time allows. he he.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Big Poppa

NICE FIND WILDMAN!!! now you got 2 sets of flakes!! you scored big time
Old 03-22-2007, 12:34 AM
Über User

hey, good score man, that hood is fawked lol. hey hows that dash harness treating you btw?
Old 03-22-2007, 07:56 AM

Nice find man!

I freakin' envy you guys; how the heck do you guys find these cars so easily?! I hate my state, ugh

On a different note, Safelite is so freakin' expensive. They wanted $500 to replace my busted windshield; called a local guy and got it replaced for under $150.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:09 AM
I'm a Registered User!

sweet snag man! It looks like other than the hood (and replacing the windshield) it doesn't have much body work to be done at all! The paint looks just like mine did before I repainted it a few years ago.

Man I'm Jealous... I wanna get some more Zs but I think my parents would kill me if I had anymore cars... Especially cause they're moving to Oregon and I'm going to be homeless with 3 cars
Old 03-22-2007, 08:26 AM
Political n00b crusher

Yeah, I'm jealous too....I wouldn't mind picking up a 280ZX but I can't find any Zs like that here....heck, I had to get my 240Z shipped from New Mexico. When I lived in NC, I saw old Zs on used car lots....but not here.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Über User

Originally Posted by SpeciallySpiked
sweet snag man! It looks like other than the hood (and replacing the windshield) it doesn't have much body work to be done at all! The paint looks just like mine did before I repainted it a few years ago.

Man I'm Jealous... I wanna get some more Zs but I think my parents would kill me if I had anymore cars... Especially cause they're moving to Oregon and I'm going to be homeless with 3 cars
dude, i said i'd take the porsche, then you can get more Z's.....
Old 03-25-2007, 04:07 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I have friggin' kick $ss update for all of you. It all started, when my dad was helping me tow the Z home. I paid him what I owed him, and then proceeded to work on the car. Okay so I noticed the starter was missing the solenoid, okay no big deal. I swapped it out with another good one I have laying around. Then I proceeded to put a positive battery cable, and connectors and such. And then I hooked up the battery just to crank it up a few times. Well 10-15 seconds later, the thing fired up! I was shocked, and verry pleased at the same time!

I couldn't believe it, I paid $400 for a Z that runs like a top. And I do add, it would smoke my other one hands down. I guranttee it. It runs so strong, it doesn't have a miss in it whatsoever, and has not run in over a year and half. And is running on practically watered down fuel. Just imagine how it will run after I dump sea-foam in the tank, and when I change the oil and filter. I really think it would pass smog quite easily, it isn't running rich at all. And it just runs so smoothly it blows my mind!

So all in all, I am so friggin' happy, and this day has been going great. And on top of all that, I took my axe to karoake (guitar) And was showing it to my friends. And then I find out they had another karoake contest. So I entered it, and qualified! Like I said this day was going great, and I don't want it to end. LOL Anyway just need to probably bleed the brakes, or replace the master cylinder. And be able to drive it, and get it through smog.

That is all for now, some more pics will follow soon, I promise. And I will keep you all updated as I go.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:11 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
hey, good score man, that hood is fawked lol. hey hows that dash harness treating you btw?
The hood isn't too bad, but I can get it replaced sometime. Anyway I checked out the harness you sent me. Looks great bro', verry nice shape. Although, I wont be in a hurry to install it now. Because of the Z I just purchased. But still sometime I will get around to it, and thanks again for the hookup.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:53 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I had another great thing happen. I bid on an ignition with keys on ebay for my 280zx, and got it for $15! Friggin' awesome, and I should have it by this coming weekend. I also need to take the hatch lock to a locksmith, so I have door keys. As of right now, I can't lock the car. Because some douche-bag broke the door key in the hatch lock. And the other keys I have don't work on the doors.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:43 PM

Damn man...you got a slick top now too? nice
Old 03-26-2007, 08:43 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay well I took my Z for a run today. And all I can say is, holy shikes! Does it haul ***! Wow, I haven't driven a Z with that much power in a long time. I also have a few things, that still are not working in it. The blower fan doesn't do anything. I have no voltmeter, that is working, no clock, no interior lights. And I know that is a short, because as soon as I put a fuse in it blows. Also on the fuel gauge, the small red one works, but not the big white one. Can somebody tell me why that is?

All in all, I still have some things to go through on this car. But I did get a smoking deal, because I know it is running solid on all six cylinders. It would blow my other '82 off the road, I am sure of it. It put me back in my seat, when I test drove it earlier. I also put some water treatment, and 5 gallons of fresh Chevron fuel in it. It runs great, and after a tuneup, oil change, get some more things working. And get the brakes working 100%. I am going to have a nice kick *** daily driver. I need to also get a broken key out of the rear hatch lock. So I can have it made, so I can lock my doors. And of course replace my fubarred windshield.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:20 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Oh another thing I wanted to add but forgot. The air cleaner that is on the car. Has 3 wing nuts, and is longer. And the ones I have normally seen, have only had 2 wing nuts. Is this a turbo air cleaner? I am confused, let me know if you can help me out on that also. If it isn't could you tell me what one it is? I know it is not the one from factory.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:56 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I believe the air cleaner is off a '79 or '80 model. I will just take off the one on my '83, and use it. Speaking of which, Carl came over yesterday, and helped me move my '83 into the yard. So I could pull in my '82 slicktop, and start working on it some more.

So far I have replaced the bottom power steering line, on the pump to the rack and pinion. I did something stupid, and took the 2 lines off, I didn't need to that are on the rack. So they are a biotch to get back on. Also my brother came over and was looking at it. And told me the tie rod, which is probably the idler arm, and the ball joints are shot. So I will need to replace those here, before I get it on the road. You can move the left front wheel, and it is sloppy. He has a good eye, considering he works on cars everyday. At Bill Luke Dodge in Phoenix. Anyway I will probably get those from MSA, along with some other parts I need new.

I am getting a windshield for $180 installed. That is the cheapest I found, so far. I got Gabriel rear struts brand new for less than $25! I just need to get a spring compressor to change them out. And I got a few other pieces for the interior also.

I am getting Yokohama 205-60-15's when I am ready to get my Z back on the road. I have never been quite happy with the tires I got for my other Z. They are too tall, and I want a lower profile. I still have over $1000 credit at Discount Tire. So I am going to put it to good use.

Oh I forgot to mention, I got the title in my name, cost me $4. I put insurance in it also. I took the hatch lock to the locksmith, and they used the key code on the original broken key. And matched it from factory. All in all it ran me $35 total for extracting the key, and getting the original duplicates. I was happy, about that. So I got home and tried the keys in the doors. Wa-la they worked like a charm. So I can lock and unlock my doors now. So psyched about that. Anyway got a few more things to do, and will get it back on the road. This should be bring you up to date.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:23 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

WooHoo! Keep it goin' WildmaN!
Old 04-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by WildmaN
I am getting a windshield for $180 installed. That is the cheapest I found, so far.

Wow! That's a good deal... You obviously DIDN'T call SafeLite!

Rod.

Quick Reply: WildmaN's 1982 280zx, Transformers: Decepticon "Wreckless" conversion