280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

WildmaN's 1982 280zx, Transformers: Decepticon "Wreckless" conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:09 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by Caleb 280zx
Hey Nice car Wildman... I'm jealous =o

Question, where did you get your wing from?
Sorry for not getting back to you right away. I got the wing from a friend. That got it from another friend. That purchased it from MSA. I don't believe it is available at this present time. MSA, and Wings West were the ones, that carried it. You can check though, it has been a while since I looked into it. By the way it is an F-40 wing, made for the 280zx. NismoPick has one on his Z also.

Oh and thanks man. I have a ways to go. You have a pretty clean 280zx. You will get there, and make it better. Good luck with that.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:16 PM

Nice buy! Good luck w/ the resto!
Old 01-16-2008, 08:23 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

On another note. I found something new with my Z today. After running my Firebird for a while. I put the battery back in the slicktop. And ran my Z for a half hour or so. Anyway I decided to check, and see what cylinders were firing or whatnot. Well I started unplugging the injectors, one by one. And started at #6 When I unplugged 3-6, there was no change in idle. So then I tried #1, and #2. And the engine wanted to die, when I unplugged either one. So I got out my test light, made for testing injectors. And tested #3-#6. They all were getting a signal. So I know the ECU was sending out the signal fine. So I think the injectors need be to taken off, and cleaned.

Now I have a couple of questions... Do you think that would have anything to do with my Z overheating? Because it is only firing on 2 cylinders? I know you guys have mentioned...That running lean, causes overheating. Does this particular situation go with that? Any help on that would be greatly appreciated. But anyway I will wait and get another fuel rail. And the quick-release injector plugs, from MSA. Before I start taking the injectors and such off.

Oh also, what is the best way to clean my injectors? So I have an idea. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by WildmaN; 01-16-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:03 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Hey look what I won on ebay today. I am pretty psyched about it. Now I will get the injector pole type quick release connectors, and a fuel pressure gauge. And I will be all set. But I still need tips on cleaning my injectors. Can anybody help me me out with that? Anyway here is the link to my new fuel rail. he he
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...203011912&rd=1

[imghttp://i11.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/d2/6a/cdab_3.JPG[/img]

Edit...Put the pics of fuel rail up.

Last edited by WildmaN; 02-06-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:58 PM
The Good Twin

Good score... Looks like a Pallnet rail? As for cleaning injectors, clean them w/ some good brake cleaner & then if you need to see how they spray, set up a bench top flow tester... just need some fuel line, and a 12v power source to test the flow.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:37 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Good score... Looks like a Pallnet rail? As for cleaning injectors, clean them w/ some good brake cleaner & then if you need to see how they spray, set up a bench top flow tester... just need some fuel line, and a 12v power source to test the flow.
It might be, not sure on that 100%. Anyway I am not sure of what a bench top flow tester is. lol Please reititurate for me, and thanks for the tips.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:34 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Allright, now since I got my fuel rail the other day. I am going to start working on my slicktop today. I am kind of psyched about it. I got a break from it. And I am ready to go at it again. I know I am only running on 2 cylinders. That is why I feel. My #3-#6 injectors, are plugged up. The car ran fine, when I first brought it home, almost a year ago. So I think they got something gummed up in them. Or possibly my new fuel filter could be clogged too. Could be highly possible. Will find and out, and post here.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:15 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Managed to get the old fuel rail off yesterday. Then today, I prepped my aftermarket one. And all the injectors, are in the intake. Now I just need to cut the fuel line I need. Hook everything up. And fire it up, and see what happens. Will let you know more, as I go.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:24 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Got the fuel rail, and hoses installed yesterday. Now I am running on 1-3, but nothing on 3-6 (cylinders) Also I have a coolant hose leak. So I have to replace that. And I have the #2 injector hose leaking. I hooked up the aftermarket regulator. But the Z would only run on #1. And really rough. So either I hooked the hoses to it wrong. Or I just can't seem to get those aftermarket regulators to work. I ended up using the stock regulator. And got more results. I still am puzzled...why my Z is not running on #4-#6 cylinders. Also I have been running on the stock regulator on my '82 daily driver. And he runs like a champ. (go figure) Anyway I got a job interview tomorrow. Wish me luck, I hope I get working soon. And thanks for the support.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:08 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay, I really need some help here guys. I am kind of at a loss right now. I am still running on 3 cylinders. #1-#3, nice and strong. #4-#6, nothing at all. I am going to install the aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, maybe tomorrow. I checked to see if the injectors are getting a signal. They are getting it from the ECU. I still haven't checked my timing yet. Will do that probably tomorrow also, or soon.

Anyway just to note....This Z ran on all 6 when I first brought it home, last March. I know the cylinders are good. But for the life of me. I can't figure out why it is only running on 3 instead of all 6. So any input or feedback, would be greatly appreciated. And thanks in advance.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:22 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Have you confirmed the injectors are cycling? I know you said they're getting power, but if they're not cycling or if the nozzles are clogged, you're going to get no fuel.

Have you confirmed you are getting spark on those cylinders?

It makes me think your timing may be off by 180. I assume you haven't touched the distributor or the spark plug wires since you drove it home?

You know you're getting air and fuel since it's at least running on some cylinders although I don't think I've ever seen one run on as few as 3 cylinders... It's a batch fire fuel injection system so all injectors fire at the same time...

You're a smart guy and I know I don't need to be reminding you of basic troubleshooting steps, but I've "overlooked" something simple before and it just took that little nudge to point me back in the right direction.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:59 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by lww
Have you confirmed the injectors are cycling? I know you said they're getting power, but if they're not cycling or if the nozzles are clogged, you're going to get no fuel.

Have you confirmed you are getting spark on those cylinders?

It makes me think your timing may be off by 180. I assume you haven't touched the distributor or the spark plug wires since you drove it home?

You know you're getting air and fuel since it's at least running on some cylinders although I don't think I've ever seen one run on as few as 3 cylinders... It's a batch fire fuel injection system so all injectors fire at the same time...

You're a smart guy and I know I don't need to be reminding you of basic troubleshooting steps, but I've "overlooked" something simple before and it just took that little nudge to point me back in the right direction.
I think I am getting spark to all of them. It is just odd, that it happens to be 4-6 not running. Hmm...

I am pretty sure, it is not off 180. Because it ran great the first day I had it. And I haven't touched the dizzy at all. I will check the timing, just to be sure though. I did change the cap, rotor, and wires though. But I have double-checked the wires, and they are in the right spot. Only other thing, I can think of. Is that Maybe they are not touching the cap enough. It is still odd, because it just happens to be those certain cylinders.

Thanks for the props man. Yeah I think I am. lol Anyway I appreciate the input man. I will probably tackle it tomorrow. And go through everything. Thanks again.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:47 PM
From NY to AZ

I thought the batch fire system had 3 the three front cylinders fire first, and then the back three. (Correct me if I am wrong). That is why it's important to get the two batches of 3 injector wires in the right order, but not the individual injector connections. That could be the key right there. Try switching the two batches of connectors around, then you'll know for sure if its an electrical problem or a fuel supply problem.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:12 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay, I reversed the injector plugs. It started up right away. And I thought....Wow I am making some progress. Then a few minutes later, it died. And now I can't get it to start back up. I tried swapping the AFM's to no avail. I think something took a crap on the car. Now I get to test everything on it. Anyway the battery is charging as we speak. Will tackle it again here soon.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:27 PM
The Good Twin

Remember... no start =
1... improper fuel
and/or
2... improper spark

flooded? no fuel? timing set?
Old 02-18-2008, 06:32 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

It smells like it is flooding. That is why I think something took a crap on me. Now I have to figure out what it could be. I might see about the coil next. Because I swapped a couple of AFMs I knew were good. And no change, still smells rich. So something in the EFI system is not working correctly or at all. Anyway it will be another day. I need to check the battery now.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:34 PM
The Good Twin

Why do you think it's the coil? Have you checked for spark? And make sure the CHTS is connected tight.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:38 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

It is just a guess nothing more. I am only troubleshooting in my head a little bit. I am pretty sure the CHTS is connected good. But who knows right? Next time I mess with it. I am going to test all the things I can. And go from there. Oh and the timing is fine. I have not messed with it at all. And this Z ran awesome the first day I had it. Since then, I have had a mess of problems. Oh well.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:19 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

They do not fire in sequence. They are polarized with a common "hot" wire, and separate grounds for each injector. Somewhere in there is the ballast resister too. I assume 007Max was referring to the 2 ground switching transistors (3 cylinders each) that are used on the NA ZX where the turbo uses 6 ground switching transistors.

When you look at the injector schematic you can see how putting the wires in the wrong sequence could cause problems by basically shorting out parts of the circuit and back feeding power the "wrong way" through the circuit and putting injectors in "series". I wish I had the diagram here so I could give an example.

It's batch-fire, meaning they all fire twice on each revolution of the crankshaft, not half on each "shot" or groups of 3---there is no valve-event timing sequencing at all.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:11 PM
From NY to AZ

Are these new injectors? If not, they may be leaking, causing it to flood. Have you taken off the intake at all since you got the car? With it having sat for a while, a packrat may have dragged in some leaves to make a nest. Its a long shot, but hey, could explain it struggling so much and running on just 3-cyls. I'm going to head out to Mesa either this weekend or the next. I'll give you a heads up.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:06 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by 007max
Are these new injectors? If not, they may be leaking, causing it to flood. Have you taken off the intake at all since you got the car? With it having sat for a while, a packrat may have dragged in some leaves to make a nest. Its a long shot, but hey, could explain it struggling so much and running on just 3-cyls. I'm going to head out to Mesa either this weekend or the next. I'll give you a heads up.
No, I can't afford new ones. They are mix and match. They looked good from my eye point of view. But that doesn't mean squat though. lol And no I haven't taken the intake off at all. I wanted to wait until I got the car running. And when I am ready to install my headers on it. I still need a a collector pipe for those. Where would I find one for them? But I do doubt a rodent got in my inside my intake or whatnot. The car wasn't sitting verry long. And I have a tree that keeps rodents and such away.

That would be great man, let me know when. And how is the stereo harness treating you? I hope it is working for you. Let me know if you still need help with that. And thanks again.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:55 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well nothing new to report yet. I decided to take a break. Mainly because of money issues. I should be starting a new job this week. Just waiting on the drug test and background check, to come back. If I get it, will tell you all more, what it is about. Anyway once I get going on my job. And get caught up again. I will be right back at the Z again. I am determined to get it running. Stay tuned.

Oh yeah the friggin' code officier cited me a warning for all my cars. And if I find out who narked me out. I will give them a kick in the ***! I had to get that out. I can't stand people that think this is a perfect neighborhood. I mean come-on, this is an old area, with old mobile homes. It is not the ritz or anything. Anyway just had to vent that out.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:00 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I have a crazy question. Well kind of...Where could I get a collector pipe for my headers? So I can put them on my Z? I am just throwing it out there. I wonder if I can just buy the collector pipe, that goes on the end of the headers. If anybody knows, that would be great.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Über User

call msa and ask they sell it or just go to a good exhaust shop they can weld you up a Y pipe its not rocket science lol.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:50 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsu...spagenameZWDVW
Here is a nice sweet '83 280zx turbo up on ebay. Mainly I wanted to post because of the sweet wheels it has. I think these are the ones I want for my '82 slicktop. I believe they are enkeis, and about the only spoked wheels I like. Check it out if you like.

Quick Reply: WildmaN's 1982 280zx, Transformers: Decepticon "Wreckless" conversion