280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

T5 stuck in 1st gear ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Euro Z King

Location: Utrecht The Netherlands where owning a car is a CRIME!!
There goes one more icon 280zx that seem to have started together with my adventure .. Bleach it was a pleasure meeting you at the MSA show.. give the car a good tap on the dash .. haha that is what i do when she is complaining ..

Where will she go ?

so what is next ice selling his?
Old 08-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Big Poppa

first apollo, now bleach, hmm, next on the list?
Old 08-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Über User

im starting to consider joining that list again. tore apart my whole interior cleaned everything with teh dash out seats out, literally everything but teh blower motor and heater core, switched out my tach it ran beautifully yesterday tach worked. today, wont start, disconnect the coil from teh tach wire we jsut ran starts up, then dies again. there is something seriously ****ed inside the electrical system of this car. oh and the tach doesnt work again, probably fried a new tach. GAH!
Old 08-05-2007, 07:06 PM

Sorry to hear that Bleach But Im sure once your driving a newer 350Z you'll be happy you made the decision
Old 02-25-2008, 03:20 AM

You know I had a similiar problem. Well, about 3 weeks ago I went to my car and started up and put in reverse to back out. The car (240z with 5 speed transmisison) would not go any where. I then put in 1st to go foward a bit, but the shifter would not go in 1st. I started it in neutral, however, the car jumper forward as if it was in 1st gear. I was so confused. The shifter was in a neutral position but the car was in acting as if in 1st gear. That was 2 weeks ago.
Well, I had it towed to automotive repair place(Dandoes) where had purchased as well as had the tranny put in. Dandoe's resolved the problem by installing a new hydraulic pump and a slave master. Dandoe's were detailed and efficient regarding their assesment of my tranny problem. They told me the tranny was removed and inspected for faulty or damaged gears. They told me the tranny was in immaculent condition.

Since, the car was stuck in gear, and it was assessed that I got the car stuck in gear, I was charged $150 for labor to have the tranny disengaged from 1st gear. Well, they got the car fixed for about $700. That was 3 weeks ago.
Yesterday, it happended again-dammmmmmm!!!!
Yup, again, on Saturday night again at the same time and the same weather--the transmission somehow became stuck in 1st gear. As before the car was parked, I got in, shifted from first to a neutral position. Turned the car on. Let it warm up. Then, I shifted in reverse to back out. Yup, nothing happended. I did again and nothing happended-the car did not move at all.
I pumped the clutch pedal, but the car's tranny would not engaged. I tried to roll the car back just to get it out from behind a car. Again, I could not move the car-stuck!
I started it. Let go the clutch and it leaped forward as if it was in 1st gear. Then, I could not move the shifter to 1st or 2nd, but I could move the shifter to 5th or reverse. I felt totally helpless trying to fiqure a way to pop the car from 1st. How did it this happended? Is it possible that the car that was parked in front of me backed into my front bumper causing to jolt the my car's transmission to get stuck in 1st. The alarm was on. It did not go off.

So, I parked it until Monday where I plan to have Dandoes fix the problem.
Any advice or recommendation would be totally awesome!

Considerations:
--The transmission is 5 speed from a 82-83 280ZX.
--It has been serviced and rebuilt about a year ago.
--The slave master and hydraulic master were replaced about 3 weeks ago.
--There is fluid in the master reserves.
--The clucth pedal has pressure.
????
Old 02-25-2008, 06:42 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Z Chico
Dandoe's resolved the problem by installing a new hydraulic pump and a slave master. Dandoe's were detailed and efficient regarding their assesment of my tranny problem. They told me the tranny was removed and inspected for faulty or damaged gears. They told me the tranny was in immaculent condition.

Since, the car was stuck in gear, and it was assessed that I got the car stuck in gear, I was charged $150 for labor to have the tranny disengaged from 1st gear. Well, they got the car fixed for about $700. That was 3 weeks ago.
OUCH! That's a heavy price to pay for a master & slave replacement! You could have done it yourself for $100 and 2-4hrs of your time.

Originally Posted by Z Chico
Considerations:
--The transmission is 5 speed from a 82-83 280ZX.
--It has been serviced and rebuilt about a year ago.
--The slave master and hydraulic master were replaced about 3 weeks ago.
--There is fluid in the master reserves.
--The clucth pedal has pressure.
????
Get under the car, have someone push in the clutch pedal, and watch the clutch fork & slave cylinder to make sure the fork is moving as it should. If not... take it back to Dondoe's and say "FIX MY CAR RIGHT THIS TIME."
Old 02-25-2008, 07:48 AM
The Evil Twin

yup, that shop did not address the problem.

The issue is with your transmission, NOT with the clutch.
The guy who bought my old 280ZX says it shifts through the gears now. Its kinda flaky though... he does drive it on the street very easily. Weird, huh?
Something that holds the gears in place internally has broken on the T5 but I have since heard of this happening on other T5 (turbo Z only) transmission when accelerating in 5th. 5th gear is not a strong gear.

for $700 your transmission itself should have been rebuilt... you let yourself get screwed. Take it back and if they dont' work on it, file a lawsute. If that doesn't work... take matters into your own hands
Old 02-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Über User

happened to my dad when the clutch failed. stuck in 1st or 2nd cant remember which.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:57 AM
NisTuner

So only use 5th gear on the T5 while cruising on the freeway and nothing else?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:32 AM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by duowing
So only use 5th gear on the T5 while cruising on the freeway and nothing else?
ya, I guess so. I was accelerating when it popped. But its just a stock turbo engine! ...should have used 4th gear
Old 02-25-2008, 02:25 PM
NisTuner

I was looking for the thread I saw on Hybridz where someone mentioned getting the shift forks or something out of alignment and the tranny was all messed up. He someway managed to set them back to the correct position and was able to drive it again.