280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

I failed the smog nazis. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Über User

Just so you know ATF only cleans oil chambers from residue for the most part. Prolong exposure I could imagine would actually cause oil break down and blowby to occur around the pistons. I doubt it would effect the piston rings otherwise. Don't bother putting sea foam in your oil since you already did the ATF ok. just put a full can in a near full tank of gas and then run some through your intake manifold through the brake booster line. that actually will help break off any build up on the valves quite well... other than that don't bother with any special treatments unless it's one of the tricks above that involve an alcohol style additive since it burns cleaner.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:01 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
Just so you know ATF only cleans oil chambers from residue for the most part. Prolong exposure I could imagine would actually cause oil break down and blowby to occur around the pistons.
This has been said several times & I think he's just ignoring it now.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:49 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by NismoPick
This has been said several times & I think he's just ignoring it now.
Hey, did you read my previous post? I said, I am going to change the oil. I have had a bad night. I was sick, having cold sweats, and my stomach was in knots. Anyway, I am going to fight it, and try and enjoy this day, with my family. I will keep you all updated. Merry Christmas everybody!
Old 12-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Über User

I saw many people tell him it's a bad idea, and yes he did mention he will change his oil, but the biggest thing I didn't notice is people telling him WHY it's so bad. Sometimes explanations are better then just "do this" commands.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

I'm lmfao so hard at the amount of fail that calls this thread home.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:55 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

^

Anyway, I replaced the plugs, and the o2 sensor. Changed my oil and filter, with Lucas oil treatment. Going to try again either tomorrow, or the next day. Because it might rain pretty hard tomorrow. Might be Thursday, and also will give me a little more time, for it to be more ready. Also, I am unplugging the #6 cylinder, because I believe it is causing my richness problem. I know it is not burning all the fuel completely. All the rest of the cylinders are working like they are supposed to.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Über User

Be sure to unplug the injector clip and not the spark plug boot. K
Old 12-29-2010, 12:21 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Be sure to unplug the injector clip and not the spark plug boot. K
Of course, give me a little credit. Yeah that is what I do, I never unplug the spark plug wire. That is not too smart. Anyway, I unplug the injector clip, and put a piece of electrical tape inside. Then put it back on, like it is plugged in. Probably wont be till tomorrow. It is pouring outside.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:42 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Talking What a great way, to ring in the New Year!!!

And why would you ask? But because of these awesome results.

Jan. 31st. 2010

Hydrocarbons (HC) In Grams/Mile...0.75 Limit 3.00 Pass

Carbon Monoxide (CO) In Grams/Mile...4.02 Limit 25.00 Pass

Oxides Of Nitrogen (NOX) In Grams/Mile...2.64 Limit 3.50 Pass

Previous Readings.

Hydrocarbons...2.75 Carbon Monoxide..83.58 Oxides Of Nitrogen...0.53

There you have it, I finally passed the smog *****!! The only downer to the day, was the fact DMV was closed. But it's cool, because come Monday. My Z will be sporting his first license plate, since I have owned him.

So the way I got it to pass. Was I unplugged the #6 cylinder, and the cold start valve. I changed the oil, filter, and put seafoam in the gas tank, with a full tank of gas. The timing was at 5 degrees. Which is what the shop put it at. And I set the idle, just over 1000rpm. So there you have it.

I am one stoked Z owner!!! \,,/
Old 01-01-2011, 02:21 AM
Über User

lol, sorta what so many people suggested... gotta figure out that problem with the number 6 cylinder
Old 01-01-2011, 03:43 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

lol, sorta what so many people suggested... gotta figure out that problem with the number 6 cylinder
Yeah, I think there might be an injector issue with that cylinder. I can't understand, why it would be bad internally. I'll investigate it next week. I am going to deal with it for now. I have a car show coming up on the 8th. I still have some things I want to do to my Z for the show.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Primer Grey FTW!

awesome congrats!!!!!!! If there is a pick n pull nearby injectors are 7-8 bucks anyway great job!!
Old 01-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Big Poppa

im taking my brand new n/a injectors out and installing turbo ones. for sale!! congrats on the pass as well. that first drive is gonna be great
Old 01-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Über User

It is weird for just one single injector to all of a sudden fail, especially the very last one in the rail... Hopefully that it is something as simple as improper fuel/spark, and not something internal wise for the motor. If I were you, I would anticipate the worst case scenario and diagnose backwards... Check the compression on it. If it reports back a good number, at least you know whatever the problem is, it won't be crazy expensive or intensive.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:06 AM
Big Poppa

all that removing one injector does is creats a bit of an air pump scernario. that cylinder will "steal" some of the air/gas mixture from the other cylinders. it just leans things out. the primative computers on our cars tend to run rich at idle for the most part to make them driveable at higher rpm. a calculator has more brains than our ecu
Old 09-06-2011, 03:24 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

It is weird for just one single injector to all of a sudden fail, especially the very last one in the rail... Hopefully that it is something as simple as improper fuel/spark, and not something internal wise for the motor. If I were you, I would anticipate the worst case scenario and diagnose backwards... Check the compression on it. If it reports back a good number, at least you know whatever the problem is, it won't be crazy expensive or intensive.
Just reviving this thread, saying I have had a compression test. And the cylinder is lower than it should be. I tested it quite a while back. I haven't tested it recently though. So it could be working better. It seems to have more power than it had. But at times it feels like the pickup is not there. Though I think that has to do with the fact that the Z is an n/a and not a turbo.

All that aside....I have been daily driving it at my new job for almost 6 months. And it has not given me any major issues running wise. I did eventually replace all 6 of my fuel injectors. Because the hosed got brittle and cracked from sitting so long. So that has helped quite a bit. I still do have quite a few rattles, creaks, krunks, squeaks, and thunks, thumps coming from the back of my Z still. lol But that is why I crank my stereo louder.

I am going to try and jack it up again. And try to pinpoint where all the noises are coming from. It can drive me batty after a while. lol
Old 09-11-2011, 12:12 PM

I had the same problem for the longest time. I first changed out all my fluids, replaced different sensors but I letter found the true promblem, fuel injectors. After I placed new ones in it passed with flying colors. Maybe ur injectors are too big and u need to get stock ones or your injectors are old or stuffed up? I don't kno but you should diffintly take a look at the injectors..... I've been waiting 5 months to drive my 280 and I finally will this Monday . Thanks to some new stock injectors Haha. Good luck man!