280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Exhaust Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Primer Grey FTW!

And once again NismoPick knows what he is talking about!! The helical one thread themselves into the hole as you spin them, wedging into the metal more until they snap. The square ones grab and twist the screw out.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Only buy the reverse-helical screw kind if you are a masochist or suicidal.
Those are great until you use them a couple times and wear the edge down or they just continue to spin in the hole.

If you have troubles with them snapping maybe you should try a more quality brand or take the proper steps when trying to free a bolt.

I have both kits, I would take the helical version over the square one every day of the week.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:38 PM
The Good Twin

You must own a magical set.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-revi...owViewpoints=1

Originally Posted by 1 star rating
I tried to use this product to remove rusted screws from a cistern without breaking it. It totally failed to make any impact on the screws and actually broke while I was using it. I would not buy this product again.
Originally Posted by 2 star rating
All but one of the bits seems to be too big for 'domestic screws'. I couldn't drill a hole big enough to take the bit at all. Could do with instructions also.
http://www.icscuttingtools.com/Screw_Ex.htm

Screw Extractors - Helical Flute
Helical Flute Screw Extractors are designed with a left-hand helical flute to gap firmly and remove any eight-handed threaded screw or bolt from 3/16 to 3-1/2 in size. They can also be used for turning threaded pipe sections sizes #1 to #5 having ground center punch points. Meets Government Specs. GGG-E936B.
Screw Extractors - Straight Flute
Straight Flute Screw Extractors are used to remove, broken screws, bolts, studs, pipe, and lubrication fittings without change to the threaded hole. They are designed with four sharp edges to give a positive gripping action without binding or chewing. They are preferred for soft metals and thin walled parts as they do not expand the port being removed.
Meets Government Specs. GGG-E936C.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Ruff Ryder

Before trying to put down a product, make sure you are quoting a product similar to the one mentioned. Those pieces of crap you quoted from amazon are very different from the ones I was talking about.

While the ones you like are useful for certain jobs, especially when you can hammer them in. A large majority of screw extractors I have seen snap off are people who don't use the correct size drill bit and they only get the tip of it in there, or they don't realize how stuck the bolt is and don't try to loosen it first. (penetrating oil and heat)

But no tool will work correctly or last if not properly used or cared for first.

This is the one I am talking about. http://community.craftsman.com/Craft...l-Case-reviews

Last edited by hoov100; 03-03-2012 at 11:38 PM.