280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust manifold

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 09:12 AM
The Evil Twin

You're going to have to get pretty involved. He probably did not even replace the gasket as he figured out that the intake manifold is also over the same gasket so maybe he just put sillicone all over the broken exhaust gasket. Remove the intake manifold by first removing the fuel rail. You can leave all the wires hooked up. Set some towels as a coushin on the fender/radiator and put the intake over there. Remove the manifold and it should bend back a bit, leaving the exhaust attached, or you can disconnect it with three bolts. Somtimes those are very rusted, so if the exhaust pipe connection is good then leave it. Remove the old gasket material, fix the studs and then you can put on a fresh intake/exhaust gasket.

First of all, i wouldnt' pay for the work. Demand they do the job right or have it done elsewhere and send them the bill. 'Small Claims Court' ...if you have the time.

As for beating them with a tool, go for the Duwalt Cordless Drill. Choose your favorite attachment!
Old 04-22-2003, 09:29 AM
Super Siver & Black Stud

i agree with BleachZee you shouldnt have to pay for someones F**k Ups... sometimes the broken studs are so frozen in the holes that you might have to drill them out and te tap the hole.. or worse case put new threads in.. as for a good tool to beat the guy with.. id say a very large prybar... use the handle end and swing away... lol
Old 04-22-2003, 11:08 AM

lol i hate stupid mechanics like taht....what a moron...if that happened to my dad he would take the guy to court for total new manifold and everything....(my dad sues everyone lol, and gets results)....how bout you string him up on a cherry picker and then get an impact hammer......
Old 04-22-2003, 11:18 AM
Super Siver & Black Stud

you can prolly sue the guy for a new head... jsut a thought!
Old 05-02-2003, 09:46 AM
The Evil Twin

If you have a new exhaust pipe done, try to get the person doing the install to hang it with those thick rubber straps (new ones) instead of welding it with metal tabs to the car. When the engien revvs or the car moves, the engine does rock a tiny bit. If the exhaust pipe is held secure it will put a lot of stress on the manifold bolts at the head and at the pipe connection. The straps let the pipe move just a bit relieveing some stress on the bolts and allowing them to last longer. Also, get stronger aftermarket bolts if you replace them. don't buy OEM NIssan bolts.