300ZX Z32 Tech Tips For 90-96 Z32's.

How to make the N/A Faster?? swap mass merge thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 06:36 AM
Banned

I didnt see that you already had a parts car.

BTW you dont need to weld any IC brackets. Everything bolts right up.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:59 AM
Southern Speedster

People buy Z's because they are wonderful cars, they handle well, go fast in any trim, and look great.

People typically buy NA's for a reason - cost, reliability, insurance, back seats, cosmetics.

People typically by TT for a reason - normally the incredible speed and ease of making even more. Power is quite intoxicating.

Think about what you want in a Z before you buy it. If you buy a NA, it will not make the power of the TT without a LOT of money. And your TT will never have a back seat without a LOT of money.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:31 AM
Jack Of All Trades

There's not too many people interested in a fast n/a. I guess it's because a tt swap, or buying a tt, is so easy..... :burnout:
When I was out on the streets of willow yesterday, I was happy to have my n/a.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:02 PM

They run about $350. If you find one for significantly less than that, then I would be wary. It probably isn't Nissan OEM. Concept Z and AMZ sell them for $350.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:19 PM

I'm starting to get sick of seeing people recommend a TT swap. Everyone talks about it, but nobody does it. Let's try to bring this site back to the real world.

For the record....the majority of the people that talk about doing a swap do not have the $, the know-how, or the required equipment. Unless you can do the swap yourself, it is much less expensive to buy a TT. The much simpler task is selling the N/A and buying a TT.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:40 PM

I like the exhaust note of a N/A. But cannot resist the rush when the turbos spool and the sound they make doin so.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:43 PM

What do i do about the mounts on the chassis brace right above the headlights? Can I just leave those alone, or will the hard pipe kits elimnate the need of them?
Old 01-30-2005, 07:47 PM
Bad Speller

ahleluya!!! thank you 91.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:01 PM
Banned

they arent necissary. there are other mounting points for the IC pipes, that extra one isnt really necissary
Old 01-30-2005, 08:22 PM

Other than the engine wiring harness, you will need the tranny too. Unless you want to take the time to modify the mount for the starter. You'll need it too. The TT flywheels are larger than the n/a. You'll also need a different exhaust system since the n/a wont bolt up to the pre-cats.
It would be easier to just get a frony clip. That way you'll get the oil cooler and all other brakets and stuff.
As for the interior, you'll need to mount a boost gauge. I haven't heard go reviews of the factory units. But they do work. It may not me a necisity, but I like keepin an eye on things
Old 01-30-2005, 08:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhtFairLadyZ
Other than the engine wiring harness, you will need the tranny too. Unless you want to take the time to modify the mount for the starter. You'll need it too. The TT flywheels are larger than the n/a. You'll also need a different exhaust system since the n/a wont bolt up to the pre-cats.
It would be easier to just get a frony clip. That way you'll get the oil cooler and all other brakets and stuff.
As for the interior, you'll need to mount a boost gauge. I haven't heard go reviews of the factory units. But they do work. It may not me a necisity, but I like keepin an eye on things

The NA exhaust bolts up to the JDM precats
Old 01-30-2005, 10:04 PM
Bad Speller

ok I have good advice that has bin given to me. if youare gonna do a JDm TT front clip. when Uhave the motor outof the clip.order a Engine rebuild gasket set from Courtesparts adn change all teh gaskets. so U might also want to check for any maintenance need to be done. this is my plan.

Step 1. get the frotn clip.
Step 2. remove the motor fromt eh Clip
Step 3. check for any damage on motor. and replace allt eh gaskets.
Step 4. change the flywheel and clutch.
step 5. do the 120,000 Mile maintenance
Step 6. clean all conectors and plug in new harness.
Step 7. replace O2 censors.
Step 8. assemble motor back up.
step 9. get a TT fuel pump
step 10. wire up the turbo timer and electronic boost controller.
step 11. set up intercooler piping and drop int eh Intercoolers.
step 12. change the transmition oil and gear oil.
step 13. re do the air conditioning and power steering lines. and all other gizmos and gadgets the TT has diferent than teh N/A.

step 14. drop in the motor and do all the truble shooting need (not to mention there WILL BE MANY)
Step 15. Go Look for some supras.
Step 16. :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

and all this will take time. so like 91ZXTT said "if you don;t have time to do it right the first time, do U have time to do it over?"
Old 01-30-2005, 11:41 PM

lol...thanks allot barbade, and everyone for that matter. This past weekend brought me some bad news that might put my engine swap plans on hault. The dude who sold me the car forgot to tell me that the radiator lower support beam (or the front crossmember) was Cracked!!.. The car shimmys at 60+ MPH and shimmies on braking. Im in the process right now of getting a new one. I saw one for 157 bucks that i need to change out. ALso, Im feeling a loud Thump in the *** end when I switch gears. Is that the Differential or in the tranny itself does anyone have experience??

~~MOral of the story is now I got bigger fish to fry. It sucks....

~Tangeray
Old 01-31-2005, 12:47 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

let's not make this a trend by resurrecting old threads.
thread closed.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:48 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

and again with the old threads....
Old 01-31-2005, 10:18 AM
Bad Speller

lol tell me about it. the thumpis normal Ithink we all get it. at least me and all of my z friends. changing the trany and diferential oil helps.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:49 AM
Banned

thump isnt normal, its either the diff or subframe bushings
Old 01-31-2005, 02:40 PM

Has anyone ever done a front cross member/ radiator core support? I found one online for like 157 bucks + shipping and Im probably gonna do it this weekend. My buddy is an OK welder. If anyone has done one, please give some tips.

~Tangeray
Old 01-31-2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by 00Evan
thump isnt normal, its either the diff or subframe bushings
I'll 2nd that.

Tangeray....can you post a picture of it? I would really want to know how it happened and whether or not you're going to find more cracks elsewhere?
Old 01-31-2005, 08:12 PM

k...when I get home tonight I'll post pictures of the Crossmember. Im not exactly sure how it happened because the dude I bought the car from got it like this 2 weeks ago. Im guessing it happened awhile ago because it looks to have been welded at least once before as a TEMP fix.
~~Im trying to figure out how to change my tranny and diff oil this week sometime. Anyone got any quick pointers?...

~Tangeray
Old 01-31-2005, 08:26 PM

Yes, you can find those suggestions in Rizz's link page.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:45 PM

Hey, how's it going? When shopping for a 300 how much of a concern is mileage if I plan on replacing the engine right away?
Old 02-01-2005, 03:50 PM

Well......The mileage on your chasis then is basically all your concern. Now this entails EVERYTHING THOUGH>>. Im talking rear diff, brake systems, suspension, body stuff, etc..etc.... Im not the expert, but as I have been reading the forums and into the Z's, nowadays mileage really isnt a factor because most people are swapping motors, doing conversions, etc..etc... Ask your seller the history of the Z and what parts have been changed out and which parts havent. Hope this helps....

~~Tangeray
Old 02-01-2005, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by tangeray
Well......The mileage on your chasis then is basically all your concern. Now this entails EVERYTHING THOUGH>>. Im talking rear diff, brake systems, suspension, body stuff, etc..etc.... Im not the expert, but as I have been reading the forums and into the Z's, nowadays mileage really isnt a factor because most people are swapping motors, doing conversions, etc..etc... Ask your seller the history of the Z and what parts have been changed out and which parts havent. Hope this helps....

~~Tangeray
Yeah I was thinking along those same lines... Oh well, I guess I'll have to fork over the extra cash just to rip the engine out and fork over even more cash to put a new engine in... Damn college, it's taking all my money, but then again in about 5 years I'll be making enough to buy a few ZX's.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:12 PM

i use 94 from sunoco seems to work very good

Quick Reply: How to make the N/A Faster?? swap mass merge thread