300ZX Z32 Tech Tips For 90-96 Z32's.

How to make the N/A Faster?? swap mass merge thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2001, 05:19 PM
professional Z car owner

Re: My Plan For Mods. Feedback Please!

justin has it on the mark, ecu upgrade really doesnt do much unless you have the power already there. start making it first and then go on from there.

watch out here comes my Z V8 powered and ready to roar
Old 06-14-2001, 07:03 PM
Snazzy Title

Okay...

JWT Pop Charge, UD Pulley, Exhaust... I would go ahead and pay extra for the HKS Dual Tip exhaust. It's a little more about 700$, but it's designed for the N/A and it'll keep the backpressure up so you won't lose the low end power the NA has.

I would skip the driveshaft as gains are minimal, after that there really isn't much that you can do for the NA except headers/nos/ecu..

NOS is the way to go if your engine doesn't have a lot of miles, either that or do a TT swap

- john
Old 06-19-2001, 08:15 PM

You could buy my HKS PFC F-Con instead of the JWT and save some money...

ZenArcher
Old 04-16-2004, 07:55 AM

SWAP to TT!!!

Needs some advice... i have a 90 2+2, i was thinking about doing a engine swap from VG30DE to VG30DETT, does anyone think there will be any complications ? or trouble? From my understanding and others suggestions it seems like its ok. HELP
Old 04-17-2004, 12:11 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

First word of advice. Buy a front clip.
Second word of advice. Be patient.
It's not going to be easy and there's alot to do when your swapping. Label EVERYTHING. Keep stuff together in plastic baggies and label the bags. Take pics if need be. There's a lot of difference between the na and tt.
Good Luck.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by rizzspeed
First word of advice. Buy a front clip.
... From me of course. Haha.

-$3,000 Manual VG30DETT
-$2,500 Automatic VG30DETT

All clips come with VG30DETT engine, Transmission of choice, wiring, ECU/M, brackets and miscellanious things of that nature. Shoot back
Old 04-26-2004, 11:30 PM

Heres a site that sells front clips for pretty cheap, from what ive found on other sites so hey give it a try www.alljapaneseengines.com
Old 04-28-2004, 04:34 PM

... Anyone who is/ or was a salesmen, will understand why I am pissed off at that last post.

When there website get's back up, i'll take a peak at it... And see if it's the website I think it is

(the one where they claim to sell R34 Skyline GTR clips for $2,500... Right, seeming as those go for $5,000+ in JAPAN.)
Old 06-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

http://ashleypowers.com/Na-TTConversion/natoturbo.htm

read up and learn. There's more sites like this and several writeups in other forums.
Go to my link page for a wealth of info at the click of a mouse.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:59 PM

i was gonna do it on my Z but then i got a job, school started, and i was running out of time, so i got a new car, and i am trying to get a slick top z32 so i can do that damn swap, bc it's been hunting me like crazy.... i told everyone i'd do it, and i will, as soon as i get some time. i've been working like crazy, and i've been getting paid pretty good, so i'll be able to afford all the toys for that project... one thing i have learned with my Z's is that patience is a key ( thanx Rizz) so my project might take a couple of years but it's gonna be done right
Old 06-17-2004, 01:52 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

Originally Posted by Z_WRECKER
ione thing i have learned with my Z's is that patience is a key (thanx Rizz) so my project might take a couple of years but it's gonna be done right

You're welcome. My pleasure.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Link PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLinkLink PageLink PageLink PageLink Page PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLinkLink PageLink PageLink PageLink Page PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLinkLink PageLink PageLink PageLink Page PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLinkLink PageLink PageLink PageLink Page PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLinkLink PageLink PageLink PageLink Page PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLinkLink PageLink PageLink PageLink Page PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLinkLink PageLink PageLink PageLink Page PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink PageLink Page

click it!
Old 06-19-2004, 07:36 AM
Tough Guy

If this wasnt your first post ever, I would have to heavily **** post you.

First you have to understand how much time and probably money you would have to put in it. Sell the NA buy a TT. Much easier, probably cheaper in the long run. Front clip is everything you need to swap. Its like the front of the car.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:38 AM
Tough Guy

Originally Posted by NotoriousZ
What exactly is required for a conversation from NA to TT?
Besides the 'front clip' which comes with engine, trans, ecu... what else? and what else is needed before it can be fully operational

A good mechanic.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Jack Of All Trades

My recommendation:

Buy the "Bosch Fuel Injection & Engine Management" book and another book, "Maximum Boost". If you have realatively good reading comprehension, you'll come away with some VERY good fundamentals on the science and engineering on what you want to do.

Then you can watch some forums where people talk alot about turbocharged engines and building higher performance turbo engines. (Fresh Alloy 240sx for one). ie: actual tuning.

Next you'll need either a lot of money, or the ability to do alot of this work yourself. Even if you do the work yourself, you'll need a little lot of money.

I have yet to convert a n/a engine to turbo, but considering the differences between the two z32 applications, I would add turbos to my original engine before going thru the swap.

One of the keys to not killing a modern turbo engine, either adding turbos or increasing boost on existing turbos, is to closely monitor the air/fuel ratios. You can add turbos and run low boost without a whole lot of other changes. The ecu can compensate. You can add boost until you A/F ratios go lean. The real troubles occur after running lean, ie: melting pistons, blown HG's and holes in the block. Once you've boosted to that lean condition, and if you want more, then you have to start adding A/F controllers, larger MAFS & injectors, Reprogrammed ECU and/or a stand alone engine management computer.

And...... the myth about not being able to turbocharge a N/A engine. All that turbocharging does is increase the compression ratio. A stock turbo engine generally has an 8:1 compression ratio. I believe the N/A Z engine is 10:1. If you put 15 psi of boost to a turbo engine the c/r might go to 20:1. If you put the same boost to the N/A engine, you'd blow it up because the engine internals couldn't handle a 30:1 c/r. My ratio numbers are arbritray for discussion purposes, since I'm not going to take the time to do the math.

And then....... I believe there are some internal differences between the n/a & turbo engine, so when you finally rebuild your n/a engine, you can round up the stronger crank, rods and pistons. You could even do a rebuild with shorter pistons rods to lower the c/r, and/or go with a cylinder head spacer to both lower compression and increase displacement.

The big items that you need for a conversion like this are (not all inclusive): Exhaust manifolds, turbos, intercooler(s), blow-off valves, i/c plumbing, appropriate gages and probably upgraded fuel pump and pressure regulator.

Just my two cents since you asked.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:16 PM

Nothing... It is all basically drop in.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:28 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Originally Posted by NISMO LMR
Nothing... It is all basically drop in.
ROFL!!
Here comes Nismo with his patented humor again.

Quick Reply: How to make the N/A Faster?? swap mass merge thread