300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

problems with the z31

Old 01-13-2008, 06:07 PM

problems with the z31

i havnt been working on my car for awhile, but i was going to change my c.h.t.s on my 84 turbo 300zx becuase of problems i was having with it...but anyways it sat for awhile and then i got some time and started working on it again, and i found lots of intake and exzuast leaks when i was putting an intercooler and bov on, so i figured i would put it all together and see if that was the problem and it wouldnt start, it would just turnover...while i was puttin on bov and intercooler i took out all ac conponets and cruise control and i did unhook my e.c.m but i got the codes before i did....i dont know if i did somthing wrong or if the sensor would not let my car start or not, but if u guys could give me some help that would be awsome, thanks guys
Old 01-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Distinquished Guest

Cool Sum Ting Wong...

Based on the information you provided in your post, I'd say you have left something undone that you undid while all the undoing was going on.

The ECU that you unhooked would be my first bet. Double check that it is reconnected properly. Then just start methodically checking for loose wires in the areas where you were "working". The coil is on the same side of the engine bay as the A/C. You may have knocked a wire off and not noticed.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:52 PM

nice i figured out how to get a picture on here so i can show you guys, ok so i went over every thing and the coil is hooked up fine, the ecm is good, the ac connector, cruise control connector and the windshield washer fluid connector are the only ones not hooked up,but it still wont start, also when it turns over there is smoke coming out of the air filter...what do you think?
Old 01-15-2008, 03:45 PM
The Good Twin

Well I do see a major problem... your intercooler is BEHIND the radiator.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Well I do see a major problem... your intercooler is BEHIND the radiator.
Yeah... You're gonna want to move that. It's not really doing any good back there.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:22 PM

there is an e-fan blowing air into it, but if that still wont work i can move it, but i think i need to get it running before i start worrying about that stuff, but thanks for your concern
Old 01-15-2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by turbo84z
there is an e-fan blowing air into it, but if that still wont work i can move it, but i think i need to get it running before i start worrying about that stuff, but thanks for your concern
You'd be taking air that's coming through a hot radiator and trying to cool an intercooler. No. You do it the other way around.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Distinquished Guest

Cool Basics...

You gotta' have three things to make an engine run.

1. Fuel: Easy to check, but be careful. When you turn the ignition on with that fuel line disconnected, if it's working, fuel is gonna' fly.

2. Ignition Source: Got fire in your wire? Have a friend (you do have friends, right?) spin the engine while you hold the coil wire close to a ground. Or, you could accomplish the same thing with a timing light, and maybe not get shocked.

3. Air: In the process of installing that air-to-air you didn't clog up, or mis-route the intake, did you?

That smoke from the intake sounds strange. Maybe an intake valve is opening at the wrong time, or warped and not sealing. Hard to say without putting my hands on the car.

Are the ECU lights working now? Try running the codes again. It should at least be lighting up.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:01 PM

ok so the lights on the ecu are lighting up, i ran the codes and these three came up....idle switch circuit, neutral switch, and load signal circuit or ecu. It has fuel, i disconnected the fuel line right after the fuel filter and turned on the ignition and fuel came out, and it has spark also. I am going to take apart the intake piping and see if it is clogged or not, and ill let you guys know what i find.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:26 PM

ok so i took all the intake pipes of and checked everthing and there was nothing blocking the air getting to the engine. so i think it is a timing problem, but i am super busy right now with school,(i am about to graduate highschool) so i am going to sell it, i guess ill start a new thread and post some pictures of it, so check it out