280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

WreckedJ30's Z31T ecu conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 12:06 PM
The Good Twin

A bolt?! Don't half *** this.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:11 PM
No Club Love

then what would you suggest mr. Nismo?... i screwed it in so i doubt theres a leak in it...what else...hmm. You like my block off plates huh!
Old 12-10-2006, 12:17 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by wreckedj30
then what would you suggest mr. Nismo?... i screwed it in so i doubt theres a leak in it...what else...hmm. You like my block off plates huh!
Get something solid to put in that port, or leave the hose connected & clamp it off for now. But I wouldn't trust a bolt... threads give an easy way for air to escape. Do you have the bolt clamped in? Eventually you should get a better connection boot & eliminate unused ports. I bought my 3" aluminum MAF to turbo pipe & boot from Autozone.... it's their "Cold Air Intake" pipe. Works perfect as it has 2 vac ports.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:27 PM
No Club Love

yeah i no i need to upgrade, yeah it took for ever to screw in then i clamped it, so i'm sure its good. I checked and no sucksion feeling around it. I'll have to look at the zone next time i'm there, they never have **** tho...two ports huh..one bov and one the charcoal canister? Hmm good idea.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:38 PM
The Evil Twin

I got a 300ZX for free, 5-lug. and I'm buying an LSD and ECU for far less than a thousand.

I was reading that the 84-85 o2 sensors were the same as 88-89. 1986 was the odd year but maybe that was only the NA Z31.
3-wire is no big issue if that's all it is. Reprogramable is ok, but that costs money. I just want it to work by plugging it in. I'm not going for 25psi.

And is there really any advantage to a Z32 MAS over a Z31 MAS? If I have a working 1988 MAS...
Old 12-10-2006, 03:00 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Bleach
I got a 300ZX for free, 5-lug. and I'm buying an LSD and ECU for far less than a thousand.

I was reading that the 84-85 o2 sensors were the same as 88-89. 1986 was the odd year but maybe that was only the NA Z31.
3-wire is no big issue if that's all it is. Reprogramable is ok, but that costs money. I just want it to work by plugging it in. I'm not going for 25psi.

And is there really any advantage to a Z32 MAS over a Z31 MAS? If I have a working 1988 MAS...
From the HybridZ sticky ( http://forums.hybridz.org/showpost.p...6&postcount=10 )

Originally Posted by Afshin
There is a difference in the year ECU
84-86 are the same
87-89 have the same pins, but I think the 88-89 years use a 16 bit processors (as opposed to 8 on all others) and are digital, which offers higher resolution and more accurate maps. I already had the 84 turbo ECU, but I will switch to an 88-89 turbo ECU whenever I find a cheap one.

You should be able to use the guide for the 84 set up for the 87-89 ECU, the only difference that I can see is that on the 87-89 pin 19 (as opposed to 16) controls the air regulator (which most don't use) and pin 16 (as opposed to 15) is for the fuel temp. sensor (which I have not used).

Also you have to use the 87-89 O2 sensors for those year ecu's, but I think all those may work with only the main black wire (one of three) hooked up (I'm not sure of that however). The 84-86 work with the 280zx O2 sensor. I remember reading that the 87-89 thread for the 02 sensor may be different, but I don't know if that's the case. Maybe someone else with a 87-89 ECU can chip in and make sure that I'm not missing something.
Also... to use the Z32 MAF, you have to remove (or install???) resistors in the ecu, as the Z32 MAF uses a diff volt signal than the Z31.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:02 PM
No Club Love

maf, you mean?, i was going to ask you if you'd sell that to me...Yo nismo, i have a new symptom for ya...i was driving perfectly and it did that no engine thing, then it died..so i restarted and it died, again...it won't idle now. So what would that be, still maf. oh asnd the z32 maf, it just better newer, upgraded and so on...kinda like the z31 swap into the s130 just better.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:04 PM
The Good Twin

Check that wire again... how long was it driving perfectly before it died?
Old 12-10-2006, 03:09 PM
No Club Love

1 block south, 3 blocks east then died..had to give it gas to keep her alive. She feels like before i left your house, but the i got that nothing feeling, and it just died..Damn i hate not driving her....oh and i'll have picts. of that fan i have to hook up, in a minute.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:00 PM
No Club Love

heres the fan, the wires are blue and black. which ones positive....i think it should be big enough to keep it under 180*...i hope so in cali heat. and how do i hook it all up. use the black wire to the fan as pos. the just set up a relay/switch and what not.
Attached Thumbnails WreckedJ30's Z31T ecu conversion-dsc00403.jpg   WreckedJ30's Z31T ecu conversion-dsc00404.jpg   WreckedJ30's Z31T ecu conversion-dsc00405.jpg  
Old 12-10-2006, 10:02 PM
The Good Twin

Black is neg, blue is pos. You gunna ziptie that to the radiator?
Old 12-10-2006, 10:17 PM
No Club Love

Originally Posted by NismoPick
You gunna ziptie that to the radiator?
naw i'll just use speaker wire like thxone, haha. No i was going to fab. up some bracketry but now its snowing and am just going to have to wait til cali... And black is neg on which? the fan or the unused maf wires?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:04 AM
The Good Twin

And black is neg on which? the fan or the unused maf wires?
Black is neg on the fan... we were only talking about the fan wires. And there shouldn't be any unused maf wires. I believe you are talking about the 2 sets of blue & black wires I chopped from the egr & aac actuator plugs? The black w/ white stripe is + ignition source, so you'd use that to turn on the relay.

Is the car running any better? I'm gunna feel bad if you have to tow the sob to cali!
Old 12-11-2006, 08:31 AM
Externally Wastegated

Hey what's up, haven't posted in a while. Anyway, Bleach you can use an 88-89 ecu if you're going the reprogrammable route. Use an n/a ecu for that as the O2 sensor is the same as the S130. If you use the turbo ecu, you have to convert over to the 3 wire setup and weld in a new O2 bung. The Z32 maf will allow you go to 450hp before maxing out its voltage. I'm going to be using one, but I have to figure out the wiring first. Right now it'll only rev to 2K before going into limp mode even though my ecu is already reprogrammed... Once that's done, I'll get back to you on how it is compared to the Z31 maf for daily driving.

J30, it sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Having to give it gas to keep the car running is a classic symptom of a vacuum leak. Is it firing on all cylinders as well?
Old 12-11-2006, 11:30 AM
No Club Love

nismo, no its not running well enough to drive it to cali. Which sucks, cause a trailor to cali is around 250 or so...But its a 4 day rental, so i'll be able to snag Hoov's 240 while i'm at it. Life..Yeah its firing on alll cyl's and i don't know what would be leaking, it was idleing before i left then it died and didn't idle...So i don't no WTF. I'm going to go and mess with it right now, i bet it'll idle again. Could it still be the MAF?
Old 12-11-2006, 12:52 PM
No Club Love

ok, so i started it up in the morning, and it was idleing, then i drove it to the back of my yard then back to the front, and was aboot to leave when it died, no idleing any more...So it idles when its cold but not when warmed up...She feels really good, but doesn't idle, vacuum leak? or what.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:03 PM
The Good Twin

yeah... it really does sound like a vacuum leak.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:00 PM
No Club Love

so where would it be? i can't find it and it should have a sort of suckion to it yes...dam this sucks. And what are you doing on hybridz, thats wiggity wack..haha, i'm looking for advice.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:12 PM
The Good Twin

so where would it be? i can't find it and it should have a sort of suckion to it yes...dam this sucks. And what are you doing on hybridz, thats wiggity wack..haha, i'm looking for advice.
It would be anywhere between the front & back of the engine... You've taken a lot of things out of the engine bay (some things while the car wasn't running correctly ), so retrace everything...

Without seeing the car, I can't really tell you anything else.... search search search. Look for vac leaks, disconnected wires, crossed wires, etc... it was running fine till that wire popped out... so from today, go backwards to when that happened.... check everything you've done.

Oh... and I'm hella bored at work, so I've just been visiting all the forums I'm part of.

Last edited by NismoPick; 12-11-2006 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:29 PM
No Club Love

ok will do then. I deleted a bunch of wires too but i doubt they would have to do with vacuum. I'm going to go and check now, be back in a few...Why would wires cause a vacuum leak? cause i deleted the wire that run a sensor into the master cly, brake thing. So could that be...i don't think so...
Old 12-11-2006, 06:10 PM

Injector Timing! Remove and discard VCM!

Talked to Ben today at JWT my ECU will be here on Wednesday! This got me to looking over the installation guide for the umpteenth time. I thought to ask this when I read this post a couple days ago.

Did you in your haste include these important steps: remember "it took 3 1/2 hours in freezing temperatures" is it possible you missed something?

Remove and discard the vaccum control module.

They say to disconnect the detonation sensor, as it is not tuned to the z31 ecu and won't funtion correctly.

Also they say "because of the iproved jnjecor timing on the later ECU, the injector wires oing to cyl #2 and #5 from the ECU must be cut and switched with each other.

http://jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf...%20UPGRADE.PDF
read the last page. read it all.

What is the price paid for "bonding" in sub freezing weather? lololol

hope this helps,
kenny

Last edited by captken; 12-11-2006 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:17 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by captken
Talked to Ben today at JWT my ECU will be here on Wednesday! This got me to looking over the installation guide for the umpteenth time. I thought to ask this when I read this post a couple days ago.

Did you in your haste include these important steps: remember "it took 3 1/2 hours in freezing temperatures" is it possible you missed something?

They say to disconnect the detonation sensor, as it is not tuned to the z31 ecu and won't funtion correctly.

Also they say "because of the iproved jnjecor timing on the later ECU, the injector wires oing to cyl #2 and #5 from the ECU must be cut and switched with each other.

http://jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf...%20UPGRADE.PDF
read the last page. page 6.

hope this helps,
kenny
Good thoughts indeed...

But he drove the car 100 miles home after we did the swap, w/ no probs. The detonation sensor is disconnected & it's an 85 ecu, which doesn't require any injector wire swapping. But indeed good things to check!
Old 12-11-2006, 06:23 PM

Well then, did you use a turbo ecu?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:26 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by captken
Well then, did you use a turbo ecu?
yeppers
Old 12-11-2006, 06:39 PM

turbo ecu...size matters...lol

Well, if the donor turbo ECU came out of a car with a 17mm. O2 sensor then you have modifications to make. [titiania]

If the car came with a 22mm. [zirconia] 02 sensor then you are good to go, problem lies elsewhere.

I supplied a 88 turbo ECU for upgrade and additional steps are required to make it work [properly] in my application, '83zxt.
kenny.

Quick Reply: WreckedJ30's Z31T ecu conversion