280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Is this worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 07:01 PM
NisTuner

Is this worth it?

I've been looking at a 280ZX recently. It's a 1983 Blue and Silver 2+2 with an Automatic transmission. The owner is asking $2500 for the car. For the most part the body has a fairly new paint job, newer tires and brakes, 135k miles, and a tune up was done a little over 500 miles ago. From what I can tell and what I'm told there is no rust on the car. It's been stored during witners. The car drives really well, the transmission shifts smoothly, brakes work very well and everything. The few problems with it are, the hatch doesn't lock. I can go to the back of the car and lift the hatch, I guess there's something either wrong with the handle or the cable(is this a hard fix?), he said the original key cylinder for the ignition broke so he pulled it apart and has been using a screwdriver. The fuel gauge works and shows correctly how much gas is in the car, but for some reason once in a while the voice system will come on and tell you that the fuel level is low(again, is this a hard fix?). The one seat has a tear in it from over the years use. Other than this it seems to be pretty good and I haven't really found any other problems. He said for the price he's asking he would fix the key cylinder, but I'm not sure about the hatch, and he doesn't know about the warning about the fuel being low. He says he will go lower if I take the car as is. I've offered him $2100 and he's currently said that he can't go that low, I figure if I wait I might be able to go lower, but here's looking to you guys, the 280 experts to let me know what you think. Could you guys possibly let me know what would be needed and what I might expect to pay if I were to fix the key cylinder and the hatch myself, and if I can fix the voice warning system. I really like the 280zx and would love to get this. I'm just not sure if it's exactly worth his price.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:10 PM

Hatch is easy to fix, Bad ignition(can be fixed) fuel warning is probly a short(just trace wire's) 2,500. ummm, try to get some pic's that can help us. the whole little to no rust is a good thing. Let's see what other Z'er's say.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:15 PM

Is it worth $2500. Oh sure. They go for a lot more than that. But if you've got the patience and Z's arent too difficult to find in those parts, then I'd say hold out and find one for far less money and probably with less problems. Those problems aren't anything major though. Most of the repsonses you're going to get are probably going to be that the car is too expensive. But you decide on that one based what I mentioned. If I didn't have my Z while I was in South Dakota I would've forked that much over only because there wasn't another Z for quite some distance (like two states over ). But just in general, that is higher than your typical 280zx. If you can find one for under a grand THEN you've got yourself a good deal
Old 09-13-2005, 12:58 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
If you can find one for under a grand THEN you've got yourself a good deal
If it's not rusting away around you.

That car has two strikes against it...

1. 2+2
2. Automatic

If you discover a third strike, I'd wait until another opportunity presents itself.

These are 'generally' the least desirable options and therefore should be reflected in the price.

If it has a really good body, ie. really little to no rust, it may be worth it.

How many cracks are there in the dash?

I paid $300 for my running '83 parts car that was a partial restoration but it had about $600 in traffic fines/penalties. It's a parts car for me, so I don't ever have to register it and pay the back fees.

I'd pay $2500 for a good example that was going to be relatively reliable.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:27 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

The whole screwdriver in the ignition, is one way to drop the price down. And also the fuel is low voice, and the hatch that doesn't lock. To me those are red flags for a ZX with that high of a price. Of
course I shouldn't talk because I paid, $2200 for a wrecked Z. But now I am a little older and wiser since then. And nobody will sucker me like that again. That was over 5 years ago, by the way. Anyway also the fact it is a 2 + 2, and Automatic like lww said. I frown on those 2 things, but that is my opinion.

I looked at over a dozen different car lots. Until I found my first Z, I mean, I went to one car lot here in Mesa. And there was a clean t-top metallice purple paint. And a black interior. And I was like sweet, until I looked inside, and said don't want it, it is an automatic. So it is all in taste, but me personally, if you want that car, wheel and deal with him. If he doesn't want to budge, walk away. There are plenty of Zx's around. I see them for sale quite often around here.

So think about how bad you want this car, and how much it is worth to you. I am just telling you how it would be if it was me.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:12 AM

I bougt a Blue 83 2+2 Auto. I like it. I have wanted a Z for a long time. But i need the back seat. Freinds. I will be droping a 5 Speed in it as soon as I pull it out of my other Z. It's up to you. But A Z should not have a back seat. They wern't intended for a back seat. Politic's probly had there hand in adding a back seat for a more freindly "famliy american" car.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:32 AM

We can help as best as we can. Maby a few Pic's would be nice. we look at a few things.
Year: 1983
Model: 280ZX
Trany: Auto
Body Type: 2+2
Motor Status: Runing
Body Status: Fair-Great
Rust: Little
Interrior: Fair

Those are the main things Z'er's look for. Now I have not been a Z'er for long. But I have been hanging out in the forum's and have read what the long term Z'er's have said. I found my Z in an old salvage yard. Needed alot of work, still does. Mine is just like the one you're looking at. Blue 83 2+2 auto.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:17 PM

Is money part of the equation? Have a/c working PROPERLY? that alone cost 1.000.00(not just OK if you stick your head in the vent and drive looking at the repositioned rear view mirror type of A/C) if it does, 1.5 thou. is good considering you said it work fine n what can you buy for 1.5thou? if money has not part, pass n keep looking