280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

O2 Sensor!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 01:46 PM

Angry O2 Sensor!!!

Well I went and bought a new O2 sensor and O2 socket after I broke the O2 sensor that was in the car. I was trying to take it out and it just fell apart!!!! Leaving the nut and the head of the O2 sensor in the manifold. It is the damndest thing but the car ran 100% better with the broken O2 sensor, other than the leak that is there now it was a great drive...no more hesitation, no more bogging just smoothness. Now I cant get the new O2 sensor to thread in...I have it chilling in the freezer in hopes that will help...it is pissing me off though cause it wont go in and it is the same model or part number!!!!

So I think that alot of the problems I am having with the car has something big to do with the O2 sensor. I will update here in a bit...
Old 06-16-2006, 01:54 PM
The Good Twin

Did you soak the O2 in PB-Blaster or other penetrating oil before trying to yank it out? That usually helps... but old O2 sensors are usually a thorn in ya *** to get out.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:10 PM

The nut itself wasn't that bad to get out, no pb blaster just brute force but I broke the body of the O2 sensor when the socket slipped...it didn't slip bad but it broke the body clean off. The new one still wont go in...it won't even grab a thread. Any ideas on how to get it in. I closed up the slits on the broken one so no light would shine through it and filled it with Ultra Copper and put it back in just to fill the hole for now, till I can figure out how to get the new one in.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:39 PM

I'd read, I think on Zcar, that no 02 sensor puts the ecu in 'limpmode' or 'open loop', but it might be so only for ECCS (turbo) ZXs (which rely more on the ecu to control the engine). No Idea why your new one won't thread in, you compared the threads of both while you had the old one out? same dia & pitch? I think when 02 sensors go bad they get stuck, constantly sending the ecu either a rich signal or a lean signal & that will likely cause running probs, even if everything else is good. So if you can get the new one in & connected, it might run different still (hopefully better/stronger), esp if the ecu is currently in limpmode. Might be good to pull the battery/wipe the memory too, if & when you get the new 02 sensor in (my mech expert did/said this when we did mine)
Old 06-16-2006, 04:34 PM

Talking

Well as it sits right now I am going to leave the broken and now plugged O2 in there because if this is a "limp" mode then holy crap I can't wait to get a new one in...this feels so different for the better it is blowing my mind! I may try to find a different O2 sensor as they listed many brands for this car but they cost more...BUT I am also going to put a header on here hopefully soon and I may have an easier time putting the new O2 in that. But man does the car feel good right now! Oh and this is a non turbo.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:39 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Good to hear man, and yeah a new o2 sensor will be even better. And I do think the headers will make your Z sound better afterwards. Anyway I have a Bosch universal o2 sensor, and it was like $22 or so. And it works great, but glad to hear your Z is running better than before.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:57 PM

Here is my situation...I live at my moms right now and can't find steady work because 1, I was dumb back in 1993 thinking I could relieve some corvette owner of his rims and tires without going to jail...WRONG! Now I have a felony on my record...CRAP! 2, In Sept, 2001 I T-Boned a car while going about 60mph on my little motorcycle....now I can't run or lift heavy things. So combined nobody wants to hire a convicted felon on the gimp. So I have been doing odd jobs with a guy I know to make some cash, but everytime I do my car wants to take my money from me...talk about being down in a hole....not to mention the government wants to garnish my wages..when I have wages to pay off my student lone $5,600 at 25% interest...it's in default LOL screw them!!!! Well for now. But I have a goal...it is mostly my car but I have to climb out of the hole first to do what I want to it. I am sure I will have some kind of decent work here soon and all of my car problems become projects. Now that the car is doing much better I can pursue gainfull employment...if I can find it!

There are some people in this forum that have parts that I want and will get, just gonna take a little while....just gotta get that damn job!
Old 06-18-2006, 07:17 AM

Hangin' In !!!!!!!

hind sight is 20/20.

the way life goes, when my ship comes in the pier will sink! every body has made silly choices in the past (seemed like the thing to do at the time).
just keep smilling- makes them wonder what your up too!

just crusin' through, BJ
Old 06-18-2006, 04:29 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Don't feel bad man, I have done stuff in the past I regret. And scarred me for a long time. I commited a felony in '94, something stupid, but could have cost me almost 2 years in prison. But since it was my first offense, they gave me probation. But I still tasted the bitterness of jail, because of my ignorance, and stupidity. And not following the rules, and such.

All aside, I am in no hurry bro'. My headers are not going anywhere anytime soon. Don't sweat it, I was never in a hurry to get rid of them. So whenever your ready, let me know, it is cool with me. I understand your current situation, I have been there. Take care of your priorites, find a good job. Get yourself straightened out. And we will continue our deal. Good luck to you man, and I wish you the best.