280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Automatic to 5 Speed Conversion Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 05:16 PM

Smile Automatic to 5 Speed Conversion Question

I have a '82 Turbo 2+2 car with a automatic transmission. I recently came across a '83 Non-Turbo 2+2 complete parts car with a 5 speed.

Can I convert my Auto car to a 5 peed car with parts from this donor car??? I guess the big question is will the 5 transmission & bellhousing from the non turbo 2.8 bolt up to my 2.8 Turbo engine.

THANKS
Old 08-05-2012, 05:23 PM
The Good Twin

Yep. If you search for "auto to manual swap" in the 280zx section, you will be given a plethora of info on it.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Primer Grey FTW!

I did it to my turbo z!!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:39 PM

if by plethora u mean: abundance of threads that start with the questions most of the threads on "auto to manual " search dont anwser then yes, there is a plethora of info in the search. and ur in just about everyone of those threads not answering questions... u just say use the search in all the threads how about fallow a thread till someone says "thanks that is a big help.."
"same motor same fit no matter what tranny for a zx"
heres the deal man start first by removing everything from that donor car whether u may or may not use em from the drive train.. its what docs do to people doners who die just incase they need em.
swap it all out brother even the axle and rear control arms this way u can add new boots replace wheel beraings, bushings, diff gasket ,even the u joints if u want, all that good stuff with out putting ur running auto outta commision untill its time to swap.
then yank the whole motor and trans out put a new upgrade clutch kit and bolt that sucker up to the block
since u swapped out all that (hopefully renewed) stuff from the n/a onto your turbo shell everything should bolt up lookin clean and new.
i just found a donor for my same swap but on a coupe so i put some thought into this
ill be right there with u man...

Last edited by koprutzxt; 08-05-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Primer Grey FTW!

When it's been explained 30 times, why does it need to be explained 30 more times? 9 times out of ten you can find the info on the search before someone even re-posts on your question.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:15 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by evandubya
When it's been explained 30 times, why does it need to be explained 30 more times? 9 times out of ten you can find the info on the search before someone even re-posts on your question.
Exactly.

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx...-thread-15121/

Google machine results:

280ZX Auto to manual conversion

Help on 79 280ZX Convert Auto to Manual Trans.

The list goes on & on...

If you've never worked on a car, then don't attempt it. If you have worked on cars before, it's simple. There are tons of write ups with tons of info...
Old 08-05-2012, 08:20 PM

never say dont try it . getting ur hands dirty and making mistakes is just a way to learn, cuz i doubt for the average rate a shop will teach u these things , and if u never done it , and dont try it ,, what is the point of all these write up ur suggesting
Old 08-05-2012, 08:34 PM
The Good Twin

^^^ eh?

So my grandma who has never worked on a car could do the swap?

I said

Originally Posted by NismoPick
If you've never worked on a car, then don't attempt it.
[ any car ] ... [ don't attempt a transmission swap as your first time working on a car ]

In other words, if you are mechanically inclined, it's easy. If you have a hard time putting something back together, do not attempt.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:49 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by koprutzxt
if by plethora u mean: abundance of threads that start with the questions most of the threads on "auto to manual " search dont anwser then yes, there is a plethora of info in the search. and ur in just about everyone of those threads not answering questions... u just say use the search in all the threads how about fallow a thread till someone says "thanks that is a big help.."
never say dont try it . getting ur hands dirty and making mistakes is just a way to learn, cuz i doubt for the average rate a shop will teach u these things , and if u never done it , and dont try it ,, what is the point of all these write up ur suggesting
Normally, I have to retype someones paragraph that is that bad, just to make sense of what they're trying to say (I'm surprised that Nismo hasn't changed my subtitle to "Punctuation ****"), but you seem to have gotten the point across that you, as well as a lot of other people, don't search enough.

I'll admit, whenever I joined this website I was not mechanically inclined, and didn't know what the search button was, I came in with a question and I asked it, and then was pointed in the right direction.

And writeups exist because Hayne's and Chilton's don't explain an Automatic to Manual transmission conversion. Without the search, and without said writeup, you'd be sitting in your driveway, with your greasy thumb up your butt. We make the writeups because we don't have the time to sit at our keyboard, pressing "F5" to see if you've made any progress.

We have greasy lives too.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:18 AM

well aside from ur grandma who is not relevent to any one trying to fix or learn to fix a car.. i hope this guy here response with an idea or game plan. if u have a camera dude, take some pics ...
Old 08-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

"same motor same fit no matter what tranny for a zx"
heres the deal man start first by removing everything from that donor car whether u may or may not use em from the drive train.. its what docs do to people doners who die just incase they need em.
swap it all out brother even the axle and rear control arms this way u can add new boots replace wheel beraings, bushings, diff gasket ,even the u joints if u want, all that good stuff with out putting ur running auto outta commision untill its time to swap.
then yank the whole motor and trans out put a new upgrade clutch kit and bolt that sucker up to the block
since u swapped out all that (hopefully renewed) stuff from the n/a onto your turbo shell everything should bolt up lookin clean and new.
i just found a donor for my same swap but on a coupe so i put some thought into this
ill be right there with u man...
That's actually less helpful. You're saying just grab what you think you might need and hopefully you get what you do need. That's exactly how people run into problems. The links NismoPick put up show you exactly how to do the swap and what to be aware of. Bleach has lots of pictures as well in his thread.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:41 AM

Transmission Swap

I was mostly concerned about the donor car being a non-turbo and the car getting the conversion being a turbo car.

Thanks for the info.

- Mike
Old 08-12-2012, 12:18 AM

put an upgrade clutch and fly wheel
people say the N/A tranny will work fine ..
if this guy never gets back at me . ima have to take the n/a drive train<<<best price and option all along

as i explained earlier i plan on using the whole drive train from a donor . the chassy is the same but depending on the year u might be able to upgrade rear brakes if u get newer control arms
ever seen the 79/80 rear brakes???wierd
i prefer the longer 3and 4 gears in my n/A and its what i want for my turbo car..
but u know if u work ur tranny hard the chance for problems increase

Last edited by koprutzxt; 08-12-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:57 PM

'83 Donor Car and '82 Turbo 280ZX

This is a pic of my '82 Turbo Automatic that's soon to be a 5 speed. This car has been in the family since '85. Unfortunately the car sit for several years out in the hot sun, which cooked the interior.

Name:  IMG_20120417_075644.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  262.9 KB

Here is a pic of the Non Turbo '83 5 speed donor car. I bought this car mostly for the nice interior, but I am going to be doing the transmission conversion with the help of it also.

Name:  2012-06-08_18-33-19_72.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  148.6 KB

Name:  5G15Q15Mb3Ef3Id3Hcc5r60a99548719912c0.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  17.8 KB

Name:  5Gf5F65J13M23Fd3Hfc5r248e4122f1ed1c57.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  23.7 KB

Old 08-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by BigCaney
Here is a pic of the Non Turbo '83 5 speed donor car. I bought this car mostly for the nice interior, but I am going to be doing the transmission conversion with the help of it also.

Really? I thought you bought it for the spare fenders ;P

Lots of interior bits around - not a lot of solid bodys! You're way ahead of the curve
Old 09-19-2012, 06:48 PM

Question Drive Shaft Question

I have another question about '82 2+2 transmission my conversion project. My donor car is a Non Turbo 5 speed car. I understand that the transmission will bolt up to my Turbo Motor and the drive shaft from the donor car will work too.

I have found a Borg Warner T5 transmission locally, but no drive shaft with it.

The question is, if I put this Borg Warner T5 in my 280 Turbo 2+2, will the drive shaft from the Non Turbo 5 speed donor car work with my Turbo 2+2?

Thanks
Old 09-19-2012, 07:17 PM
The Good Twin

The question is, if I put this Borg Warner T5 in my 280 Turbo 2+2, will the drive shaft from the Non Turbo 5 speed donor car work with my Turbo 2+2?
Nope. You need the T5 drive shaft. Click: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx...2seater-34833/
Old 09-26-2012, 10:04 AM

Thumbs up More Conversion Questions

Here is where I am now.

My donor car: '83 2+2 Non-Turbo / Nissan 5 speed Trans / Axle RC 39
My Keeper car: '82 2+2 Turbo / Automatic / Axle RC 35

My original plan was to put the Nissan 5 Speed trans/ drive shaft/ rear axle/ clutch pedal assembly and all related parts from the '83 into my '82.

I recently found and bought a Borg Warner T-5 from a '83 Turbo 2+2 car. I now plan on using the T-5 transmission in my '82. I understand that i now need a Drive Shaft from a B/W T-5 2+2 car, but what about my rear axle? Can I use the RC 39 from my '83 parts/donor car? Or do I need a rear axle from a Turbo car? Also, where can I find the correct drive shaft?

I also bought a N42 Intake that I hope to be able to use on my '82 Turbo.

I have spent the last 20 yrs driving & modifying Ford Taurus SHO's. I am kinda new to the Z, So I do appreicate everyones help and advice.

- Mike
Old 09-26-2012, 10:22 AM
The Good Twin

Can I use the RC 39 from my '83 parts/donor car? Or do I need a rear axle from a Turbo car?
Click: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx...otor-zx-36027/

Originally Posted by NismoPick
The T5 driveshaft does not bolt up to the n/a drive shaft diff coupler. You need the T5 driveshaft diff coupler.
Also, where can I find the correct drive shaft?
From a 280zx Turbo. 2seater & 2+2's are different lengths.

I also bought a N42 Intake that I hope to be able to use on my '82 Turbo.
Are you just buying parts *****-nilly? The N42 takes some skill to work with the stock L28ET EFI.