280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

280ZXT - wasn't going to be a project...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

...and a little update....

Completely refurbished climate control system....

Attached Thumbnails 280ZXT - wasn't going to be a project...-interior-progress-01.jpg   280ZXT - wasn't going to be a project...-interior-progress-02.jpg   280ZXT - wasn't going to be a project...-interior-progress-03.jpg   280ZXT - wasn't going to be a project...-interior-progress-04.jpg  
Old 08-11-2011, 07:56 AM
The Good Twin

Nice! I hate that stock black goo foam in between the control units. Is that just generic weather stripping that you used?
Old 08-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

It's open cell foam the use for weather striping. I got mine from Home Depot. The closed cell is too firm. It is a night and day difference in getting the air flow to where it needs to go. It blows like a hurricane now. I used the closed cell foam inside the climate control for the doors, etc. It's lower profile and it tends to mold to what it's pressing up against. I think they also use the closed cell foam on the edge of the box on a pickup truck between the box and the canopy. It works great on the back edge of your side windows (down the rear pillar on the weather strip) where you get that whistle from the weather strip gap....
Old 08-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

So it turns out the axel on the driver side is toast. Saved again by Mark with an arm load of rear end pieces. Put the new bearings in. Driver rear passenger caliper is on its way out so I'll have to replace that once the pads/rotors are done. Went to put my Tokico spring in and they won't go over the spring pearch. They are an 1/8" too small - weird. I picked up a set of used S13 Tokico springs/struts. Took the top hat for the rears off and put the Tokico springs and the 280ZX top hat on and it worked like a dream! Almost have all the safety related stuff done that I need to finish importing and register and insure the car. Finish the fluids tomorow night and hopefully the inspection on Thursday and insurance.... we'll see....
Old 09-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

We'll she's on the road and the 280ZXT is pretty impressive even out of the box. The Tokico springs take a lot of the mushy stock suspension out but I think I'd be a lot happier with around 350lb springs in the car. Did a cat delete and a crush bent 3" cat back into a Magnaflow 3" - a recycled exhaust from another car. The turbo cars are pretty responsive to an exhaust mod so not only do you get more power but it come's on quicker. I'd probably be happy with no muffler - the Magnaflow is pretty much straight through but quieter than I'd like. I'll do a Mandrel exhaust for the NA when I swap in the turbo and I'll use a short Walker Ultraflow round can for some more volume.

A few interior pics...

Attached Thumbnails 280ZXT - wasn't going to be a project...-290zxt-interior-01.jpg   280ZXT - wasn't going to be a project...-290zxt-interior-02.jpg   280ZXT - wasn't going to be a project...-290zxt-interior-03.jpg  
Old 09-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Replaced the front fenders with some I pulled off a parts car. The parts car had side skirts welded to the car so I sawzalled the fenders and left part of the side skirt on the fender. I've got another set of fenders I'll put on the car but for now I've thrown the black fenders on and front air damn to see what the car looks like black and silver. Oh and I threw the hatch on from the black car as well since the shower of rust every time I closed the rear hatch was starting to get annoying.

That didn't look too bad so I started doing some vinyl wrap on the doors...

Driver side done....

Attached Thumbnails 280ZXT - wasn't going to be a project...-no-vinyl-wrap.jpg   280ZXT - wasn't going to be a project...-vinyl-wrap-door.jpg   280ZXT - wasn't going to be a project...-vinyl-wrap-driver-side.jpg  
Old 09-14-2011, 08:43 AM
The Good Twin

Noice!!! I've thought about cutting an angled slit in my side skirts when I install them, so if I need to take off the fender, I don't have to jack w/ them.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:52 PM

very nice, if im not mistaken those seats are off a 2+2 ZX, wish i had those seat hoops on my 2+2 its a pain to reach back and grab the seat belts right now lol
Old 09-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Noice!!! I've thought about cutting an angled slit in my side skirts when I install them, so if I need to take off the fender, I don't have to jack w/ them.
Some of the side skirts mount on the fender wells so you can remove them pretty easily....
Old 09-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by mrprofile
very nice, if im not mistaken those seats are off a 2+2 ZX, wish i had those seat hoops on my 2+2 its a pain to reach back and grab the seat belts right now lol
Nope they are out of my N/A 2+0. This car had the same seats but they were pretty gross. I might have an extra set of seat hoops - I'll take a look.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:40 PM

really, i always thought all the seats of the 2+0 had that nonadjustable headrest seat. I'm not sure if the headrests would work that well, because the seats i have were never intended to have the hoop, they dont even have the button on the side to adjust the height, you just push them up and down, how is the hoop held in to keep it from moving back and forth at an angle?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

There are two holes in the same position where the head rest post slide into the seat.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:14 AM

hmm weird, you would think they would be bolted to the chair, to keep them from moving around, but yea if you do have extras, (preferably in black or red, it doesn't really matter though i can just paint em) i would gladly buy them.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:55 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Whoot whoot!

Partial hook up on the Mega Squirt III. I have the MAP working - reading 6.1psi at full boost. Just hooked my adapter to the stock harness and I have Coolant Temp and Air Temp (from the stock AFM). Disconnected the injectors from the ECU and the coil and cranked it over and I'm getting RPM from the Dizzy! That's a major plus. Just need to hook the TPS and Wideband O2 (already calibrated - extra fuse block hooked up) and we're ready to fire 'er up and try some base maps......
Old 09-21-2011, 04:53 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by FricFrac
Just hooked my adapter to the stock harness
Is this a FricFrac special order part, or one that someone has mass produced?
Old 09-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Lol - special order. I ripped apart an extra 200SX turbo ECU a friend had and built and adapter. I wanted to be able to hook the stock system back up if something went awry
Old 09-22-2011, 08:20 AM
NisTuner

This special adapter sounds like what I want to do with one of my extra Z31 ECUs. I want to build an adapter so I can one day just plug the harness in and use the Infiniti M30 ECU that I have. Although after I Nistune it. Man your S130 is looking good, I miss my S130. I kinda want another one.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Lol. If you don't lol you'll cry instead right? So I'm on my way to work this morning and I notice the clutch getting shorter and shorter. I've experienced this one before so I roll up to the parking spot (whew - made it!) and pop the hood. Clutch fluid (brake fluid turns into clutch fluid when it hits the resevoir as well all know ) is full. Get my ever helpful wife to drop off some brake fluid and rags. Clean out the resevoir, pop the top of the master and the "full" was all the crud from the clutch line that turned into black scum and it's basically empty. Fill it up and pump the pedel and it feels pretty good so I take it for a test drive to go grab some lunch. Park it and turn off the car. I just put a turbo timer in last week so the car is still running as I pop the hood. Check the clutch fluid and it looks... oh wait there is fuel dripping out above the injectors... actually quite a bit of fuel.... Sigh. Grab lunch come back turn on the fuel pump to see where it's leaking. No leaks. Grrr... drive it half way back to work - no clutch. Park it. Get a ride back to work. After work ride back to the car - clutch works. Drive it half way home smell fuel again. Park it. Now I can sorta see where it might be leaking. Get a ride home. Grab another car and grab some injector fuel line and the slave I ordered in.... and... well to be continued after dinner....

Last edited by FricFrac; 09-22-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Picked up an OS Giken TS2AD twin disc clutch used - whoot whoot

Old 09-28-2011, 12:21 AM

Ginken Clutch Set

Picked up an OS Giken TS2AD twin disc clutch used - whoot whoot

Dude you scored.

350zpuzz

Member GroupZ Orange County So Cal
Old 09-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Lol after all my missing spark and fuel leaking around the injectors I managed a whooping 15.5 MPG.

Seems like the high idle is fixed. I guess the next thing to address is why it stalls every now and then - lol Fires up right away but....
Old 09-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Big Poppa

Dang nice clutch setup. Drive over here and we can use my hoist. As far as dying goes mine did that and once was the coil wire was corroded and the other was the dizzy module. The other was the dizzy having shaft play
Old 09-29-2011, 12:11 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Some pictures of the 240SX TB adapter. I used the Deans mini connectors for the TB potentiometer.

Removed the cruise control and mounted a fuse panel for additional circuits.

Picture of the custom Mega Squirt III to 280ZX Turbo adapter

BOV, additional grounds, 240SX TB sensor, MSD SS coil...

Attached Thumbnails 280ZXT - wasn't going to be a project...-240sx-tb-adapter-01.jpg   280ZXT - wasn't going to be a project...-240sx-tb-adapter-02.jpg   280ZXT - wasn't going to be a project...-fuse-panel.jpg   280ZXT - wasn't going to be a project...-mods-so-far.jpg   280ZXT - wasn't going to be a project...-ms3-280zxt-adapter.jpg  

Old 10-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

...and this is why it was running so rough.... my 90 degree plug turned into a 180 on the inside

Attached Thumbnails 280ZXT - wasn't going to be a project...-spark-plug-wire.jpg  
Old 10-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Lol after all my missing spark and fuel leaking around the injectors I managed a whooping 15.5 MPG.

Seems like the high idle is fixed. I guess the next thing to address is why it stalls every now and then - lol Fires up right away but....
20.1 MPG with the wiring issue fixed Getting there.... maybe a little less throttle and not sitting in traffic jams will help even more

Last edited by FricFrac; 10-10-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Quick Reply: 280ZXT - wasn't going to be a project...