280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 09:00 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah I am taking my time, but doing it efficiently, at a pace. I just about have the intake manifold cleaned up. So within the next couple of days, it should be remounted onto the head. As for the JSK fuel rail, I am holding off on it for now. I need to do some research, and I will put it on later. The original rail looks good with hightemp paint. It will do for now, besides it is pretty easy to take it off again.

And Rod, once again thank you for the kind words. I am glad that I am inspiring you, and other fellow Z-er's. That is cool man, and really appreciated. And like I said before, seeing your Z just motivates me more to get my Z done. So I can have my reward of driving him down the road. YOU ROCK MAN! And everybody else, that has been there, and followed me the whole time doing my Z.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:16 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Here is another recent pic of my intake manifold with some of the fittings mounted on it. All painted with the high temp paint. Minus the fuel pressure regulator.
Attached Thumbnails 1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion-picture-109.jpg  

Last edited by WildmaN; 12-22-2005 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:20 PM

pic didn't work

You IMG from a URL. You appear to be using a file off your computer, I think you have to do an attachment to make that work.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:21 PM

Ok, scratch that, by the time I finished that post it was working

(and now I have to wait 60sec just to post this stupid post )

EDIT: It looks good WildmaN. Very shiny, for lack of a better word
Old 12-22-2005, 09:51 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Thanks man I appreciate it, and yeah I was uploading from my computer. And it wouldn't work right. It would be nice to figure it out, so I can post some bigger pictures. And by the way the pic is worse than the actual intake and parts. Carl was over earlier, and was impressed. I should be starting my Z up tomorrow.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:02 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I also noticed tonight when cleaning my injectors. That one of them was totally plugged up on the bottom of it. Man I guess that would cause a problem, will find out tomorrow when I fire him up. I am going to bed soon. I only got a little over 4 hours sleep today. But that is cool, means I will crash early and get up early in the morning so I can put him together and fire him up! I am stoked, and can't wait to hear the raw sound with straight headers! "The time is definately near, and the Z will be alive once again."
Old 12-23-2005, 01:15 AM

Sleep, you don't need no stinking sleep. Get back to work. Theres no rest for the weary (or something like that ).

But if you must sleep (lightweight) then let us know how it goes in the morning
Old 12-23-2005, 06:18 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay here is another pic with my intake mounted on the head.
Attached Thumbnails 1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion-picture-111.jpg  

Last edited by WildmaN; 12-23-2005 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:42 PM
Doesn't post much...

That looks great WildmaN!!!!

Rod.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:50 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Thanks Rod, I appreciate it. And I think tomorrow is the big day. It took a little longer than I thought. Tediously cleaning, and painting, letting it dry. Tackle something else, give the parts another coat of paint. Go do something else etc... Anyway you get the meaning, and man is my back sore from all that. I think I worked on my Z at least 8 hours or so today. I got up at 8:30 this morning, started working on him at 9. Took a 2 hour break to take care of business with my dad. And then tackled it another 3 hours or so. So I am pretty sure he will be running tomorrow. And then I will know the verdict on the whole thing. (If I need to the swap or not) Wish me luck, and I will let you know what happens. I am crossing my fingers, and praying.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:53 PM
Doesn't post much...

What a great Christmas present it would be for you to be able to take the Z out for a drive!!!! I hope it happens for ya Buddy! I got my fingers crossed too.

Rod.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:04 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Man you ain't kidding on that one. That would be the best Christmas gift I could get. Aside from the Saviour himself. But I won't get into that, but yeah everybody cross your fingers together for me. And wish me luck. Also Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:45 PM

Yeah that looks great WildmaN, and I hope you get your christmas wish of a driveable Z. Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2005, 10:04 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I will be crashing early tonight. And tackle my Z early in the morning. I only got like 3 hours sleep on Christmas Eve. So I should be able to get to bed early, and be firing up my Z tomorrow afternoon at the latest. Everybody cross your fingers, and I will tell you the outcome. Stay Tuned!
Old 12-25-2005, 10:13 PM
From NY to AZ

i wish you the best of luck
Old 12-26-2005, 12:07 AM

wished you good luck. Any updates???????
Old 12-26-2005, 05:56 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Still not quite ready to fire him up yet. It is taking more time than I thought. I am getting close though. I should be able to run him tomorrow. I have to get something to eat now, before I faint. Anyway will let you all know tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:21 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Allright I made some progress, with my Z. I got to take him down the street, and it does seem like there is power that wants to be released. But I did notice a little difference in pickup, compared to before. So I do think the catilytic convertor is plugged up. I need to do some more tests on him. But next I need to replace a couple of coolant lines that are leaking.

Remember that video that Apollo posted earlier this year? The one that shows his Z with a straight header sound? Well I could swear I was listening to that video, when I fired my Z up. God what a rush, and yes he is really loud. But not too bad, not as loud as I thought he would be. Anyway will do some more tests, and fix the coolant lines tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:11 PM

Congrats. Its good to hear you finally got her up and running. Must be a relief
Old 12-27-2005, 08:32 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah it is a relief, but still have some things to work out, and check on. But I am stoked on the improvements He is making. I have busted my hump for most of this year on him. And I started taking the engine apart 3 months or so ago. And he did start easier this time. And it did sound different, and cranked better. Much improved compared to what he did run and sound like. So it is a start, and quite promising, that hopefully this weekend, I will take him out on the real road. Probably Karoke on Friday night. That would be sweet, as soon as I know I got my Z figured out. I will get 30 day tags for him. So I can drive him within that month. and then take him to emissions to be tested.

But it does seem the more advanced I set the dizzy, the better acceleration he has. Can somebody tell me why that is?
Old 12-28-2005, 05:57 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay I got the cat off, and gutted it out. It was like charcoal inside it. Kind of like ashes and coal mixed. No wonder my Z was struggling to run. That cat was totally shot, and hindering my exhaust flow. I was happy that the convertor was bolted in. I just sprayed a little penetrating oil, and let it sit. And torqued the bolts off. My exhaust is just hanging over the piece of frame towards the middle of the car. I need to get a bent kind of elbow pipe, because my headers are going down at an angle at the end of them. And then use u-clamps to put it back on. I plan on wire wheeling the cat, and shield, then painting them high temp aluminum. I also started wire-wheeling my exhaust tip and muffler. And they have an aluminum finish. So it is going to look good, after I remount the pipe.

On another note, Carl thinks my valves need to be adjusted. So I am going to try and do that soon. I think I will take him to Karoke this Friday like I planned. It seems to look that way. Right now, I am playing with my bumper cover, and repainting, and remounting it back in. I think it looks good on there. I can't wait to get it painted and mounted on the front of my Z. Will take pics after I get it back on. So close guys, I can't wait, just have to fix the exhaust to hook up to the headers. I will do that tomorrow.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:40 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I am very close to driving my Z. I am going to look for an elbow pipe to connect the header, and the exhaust. Shouldn't be that hard, and remount it back under the car. I am doing it myself, pretty simple. And it will save me some money, and also sometime I need to do a valve job on him. I am pretty sure that I do not have a burnt valve. When Carl came over yesterday, he listened to my car, and that is what he thinks. So I am going to try and see when my dad can adjust my valves for me. Or try to have them done locally at an import shop. Not sure on that one yet.

So if I get the pipe connected and remounted tomorrow. I am definately getting my 30 day tags, ( which are $15 online) and driving him to my regular job, and when I go out on Friday's or a car show. And using my Celica to deliver the pizzas. That way both cars will have even miles on them. And it will save wear and tear on both of my vehicles. So that sounds like a plan to me, just keeping you guys updated. Feel free to post comments like always, and thanks for the encouragement and support. Will let you know what happens as I get closer to driving him.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:48 PM
Big Poppa

Good To Hear. Might Need To Put A New Cat On To Pass Emissions Testing, But Then Put Your Hollow One Back On, Save The Other For Testing, That Way It Lasts Forever. Thats What I Do And It Works Every Time
Old 12-29-2005, 11:08 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah well as with emissions, I have ways to pass that. I use Berryman's pass emissions bottle for $5. And top off with power premium. It should be no problem, but I have a month, before worrying about emissions. As for a new cat, I can't afford it right now. So I will try this, and see how it goes. I finished mounting my exhaust, and it looks sweet. I just got finished a half hour ago. And I am really sore from it. So tomorrow when I get up, I am hooking my hose to my EGR, realigning the motor mount on one side. Then going to DMV to get my 30 day permit for $15. Then go to Chevron fill him up with premium, and put the fuel system Chevron Techron cleaner. And let it do it's magic. Then I will drive him to Karoke tomorrow. I am so stoked, and I can't wait, another Z is on the road tomorrow. Oh YEah!
Old 12-30-2005, 10:45 AM
Doesn't post much...

Very cool WildmaN! I'm stoked for you... totally! The 2006 MSA show has officially been scheduled for April 28-30. I EXPECT to see you and Carl there with your Z's!

Rod.

Quick Reply: 1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion