280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 03:21 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I will start putting the dash together tomorrow. I repainted thicker coats on my vents, dash, and such. Check this out, I painted the metal part of the dash, you know, where the serial number is? A aluminum silver, and it looks tight. And then the main dash royal blue. Sorry guys no pics yet. I need to get it remounted, and then I will take some more pics, and put them on cardomain. Will keep you posted!

I also took off my front bumper, because it was shoved over, sometime with a past accident. Not my doing. I just have to hammer the supports straighter, and then remount the bumper, and get the black rubber piece, and the driver's side corner piece. I can get both from the Z wrecking yard in Phoenix. I am also sometime soon, going to take off the rear bumper, and straighten it out too. Because the car got rearended from the previous owner. Also need the realign the passenger door, so it shuts right.

On another note, after I took the front bumper off, I was like wow, that looks like an older Z! If I wasn't doing the Bluesteak look, I would get a mild body kit, to match the lines of the car. And it would look like an older Z. But that is not what I am going for.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
And it would look like an older Z. But that is not what I am going for.
Thank God

Can't wait to see those pics
Old 09-29-2005, 11:54 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by 007max
don't be so sure about the lasting the life of the car part. i got a dash cover last spring and had it in the car for about 2 months before i made the mistake of leaving the car parked out in the sun all day in June. when i got in the car the next morning to go to work the dash cover was all wrinkled up and crooked because it got hot enough in the car during the day that it had started to melt. only in Arizona

i just got a heat gun today so i'll see what i can do about fixing it tomorrow, though i doubt it'll do much
Who'd you get your cap from?

I haven't heard of any problems with the modern polymers being used in caps these days. It was definitely an issue back in the 80's and early 90's, but this is the 21st century for cryin' out loud!

Anyway, that problem is easy to solve, while all the Californians are moving to Arizona, you can move to California to balance it out!
Old 10-02-2005, 06:13 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well guys, I have a few things to tell. I got a more expensive blue vinyl spray paint. Called Dupli Color, great stuff. I stripped off the crappy paint on my shift ****. And hit a few coats of that blue paint, and I am stoked! The shift ****, doesn't have much of an odor, and it does not feel sticky whatsoever! I figured I would share it with you guys.

On another note, I will go to the hardware store, and get the felt sticky weather strip, so I can remount my center dash ducts. I want to make sure there is no leaks. Might as well do it now, then curse, and scream, when it fails, after having the dash remounted. So maybe this weekend, I will get the dash back in, and hooked up. And will probably have new pics on my cardomain page. Well see how it goes, and I will let you all know, if there is new progress. Working 7 days a week, and have to fit in sleep, and working on my Z slowly. I guess eating is a good thing to. Somewhere in there, it works. Anyway I am off to bed, don't have to be at work at Domino's until 5:15pm. So I will work on my Z a little more later this afternoon, and maybe after I get off work. I will tinker with him some more.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:16 PM
From NY to AZ

Originally Posted by lww
Who'd you get your cap from?

I haven't heard of any problems with the modern polymers being used in caps these days. It was definitely an issue back in the 80's and early 90's, but this is the 21st century for cryin' out loud!

Anyway, that problem is easy to solve, while all the Californians are moving to Arizona, you can move to California to balance it out!
i got my dash cap off of ebay, but i believe its the same exact one that is sold through MSA and the other places. it was brand new when i bought it, and it looked great until i let the car sit out in the sun all day with the windows up

i moved to NY instead, now all i have to worry about is the rust monster
Old 10-02-2005, 08:27 PM

i moved to NY instead, now all i have to worry about is the rust monster
Werd!
I moved to Virginia and my car started rusting as soon as I got here It's just getting worse too. I'm going to be in for some fun when I finally get around to fixing the body up I don't get it When I lived in CA I never had problems with rust. But out here in VA the Rust Monster is alive and thriving
Old 10-05-2005, 04:07 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well everybody, I should have my dash re-mounted later today, after I get up. I am going to bed soon, so I can get it mostly if not completely mounted back into my Z. Pics will soon follow this operation! Then after that, I am taking out the wheel well covers, cleaning them up, and repainting them aluminum silver. It is going to be a PITA, because of having to take the hatch shocks out. (by myself anyway) Then after that basically finish cleaning out the interior, and getting it nice looking. Also remount my stereo, and such. Then sometime in the near future take out my cardboard headliner, and have my Mom help me get some gray fabric, cut it out, and glue it onto the headliner. Then maybe redo my T-top shades with the same fabric. And of course eventually start taking my intake, exhaust manifolds off, with the fuel rail and such, and start cleaning them up, and repainting them with a high temp aluminum paint. (which I already have) Slowly but surely, I am knocking off things on the list I made. Not bad considering I made it in July of this year. Less than 3 months, and I have accomplished a lot, more than I thought I would do. Anyway that should keep you guys up to par, on my current project. Also I decided to give the Trans Am back to my dad, and I am keeping my '75 Firebird, and finishing her up later. I just can't part with her, she has a lot of memories, ever since I got her in '97. I have done a lot to her. And again thanks for all the comments and support, will keep you informed every step of the way!
Old 10-05-2005, 10:52 AM

Keep it up!
Old 10-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Doesn't post much...

You're an animal Wildman!

Rod.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:52 AM
From NY to AZ

dude, all you gotta do to remove the hatch struts is pop off the little metal clip, takes like 5 seconds to pop it off, and and then another ten minutes to locate it once it comes shooting off
Old 10-05-2005, 02:35 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well the dash is mostly in, just have to hook up the gauges and wiring, then remount the stereo. By the way my 4" Pioneers fit great under the dash in the original mounts. They are 100w apiece, should sound pretty good. I'm getting there slowly but surely. But I will be looking forward to getting a dashcap, to cover the cracks I couldn't fix. I do like the bezels painted aluminum silver, along with the dash vents. Looks good with the blue. Anyway as soon as I get everything hooked in the dash and such, pics will follow on cardomain. Believe me, I can't wait to post them, as much as you guys can't wait to see them!
Old 10-05-2005, 02:36 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
You're an animal Wildman!

Rod.
Grrrrrrrr roarrrrrrrrr.......!!!!!!
Old 10-08-2005, 08:51 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I got my speakers hooked up, and also the wiring too. You guys weren't kidding, about the middle front speaker! A major MFPITA! But it sounds great, so it was worth it. I tripped out today when my Z said, lights are on, right door is open, and the key is in the ignition. My Z never said anything before except for the lights are on. Weird huh? Anyway I spent almost $70 from Motorsport Friday. Got some new parts. NGK spark plugs, 2 wire clips, exhaust stud, and nut, gray leather shift boot, battery mat, and the header intake gasket. Just keeping you guys up to par. I want to wait until my interior is close to finished before I take some more pics. It will be soon guys, I gurantee it.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:14 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I got a Die-Hard battery yesterday for my Z. I put it in this morning, and everything working fine. I will probably fire him up this afternoon, just so I can hear him run again! Also my discman works with the cassete player, and the speakers sound pretty nice! Just some vibrating noises, I figured I would try to put some weatherstripping and seal them better to the dash. It is going to be a pain though, anyway just wating for my parts to come from MSA. Should be this week, I hope, then I can see what my shift boot looks like mounted! Can't wait, and engine dismantling begins within a week or two.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:43 AM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by WildmaN
try to put some weatherstripping and seal them better to the dash.
/\/\ That is a good idea.. I need to do that..
Old 10-15-2005, 03:10 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well here it is guys the moment you have been waiting for. (drum roll) I have new pics on my cardomain page. Go ahead and check them out, and feel free to comment on that page or here on this thread. My interior is just about done. Just a few more things to do, and it is good to go. Like redoing the headliner in the light gray fabric, repainting the wheel well covers silver, finishing and touching up a few more plastic interior parts. And then I will concentrate, on dismantling and taking apart my engine, intake fuel rail exhaust manifold. And install my headers, and such. Anyway real close, and I will post pics more often on my cardomain page. All comments, and feedback is welcome!
Old 10-15-2005, 03:50 AM
From NY to AZ

wow that blue is really.. uh.. bright

i'm currently converting my entire interior to black, fun stuff wouldn't you say
Old 10-15-2005, 03:55 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah there is some fun in it. By the way, it is my camera flash that makes the blue brighter than it looks: trust me. It is a nice deep blue, if you saw it in person, it would be a little darker. Also good luck on the all black interior on yours.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:41 AM
Doesn't post much...

i'm currently converting my entire interior to black, fun stuff wouldn't you say
It took me a while, but I got mine converted from all brown to all black. One piece at a time, scouring junkyards far and wide. If you are patient, you can do it with all OEM panels... they are out there somewhere. Some of them were sun faded or otherwise partially damaged so I repainted them all the same black for the sake of uniformity.this way there is no variance in the shade from one panel to the next and if they get scratched they are still black underneath so it won't show up too much.

Looks good Wildman... keep it up.

Rod.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:55 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Did the same thing on mine. Replaced every panel and then painted everything with SEM professional vinyl paint. Even the panels that I had the vinyl professionally recovered were painted to make everything completely uniform. I even painted the roll bar with the same paint so it would match...
Old 10-15-2005, 11:40 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Right on L-dub, yeah I really like the vinyl dupli-color paint. I found out last night, how much weatherproof it is. I repainted my stereo console with the blue, let it dry, and went to do something else on the car. Then Carl came by, and we went out to the bar where I sing. And I totally spaced it off. I was like "oh sh#t I left it out in the rain!" And then I picked it up, thinking I would have to repaint it. And I was amazed, the paint didn't rub off! In-friggin'-credible! All that happened was it got a little dirty. So all I have to do is clean it up, and remout the radio and cassete player with my custom crystal blue display!! If you guys want me to tell you how I changed it, let me know, and I will post it here. I don't mind sharing!

Anyway more pics will follow soon, I am going to repaint the console with the blue, and put fabric over the cracked console lid. And see how that turns out. I thought maybe I would glue the crack let it dry, get some foamish material, glue that on, let it dry. And then cut the grey fabric to the size and shape of the lid, and glue that on with the adhesive spray. Sorry guys for my rambling, but I have so many ideas running through my head, I can't think straight, as Grapple once said, in Transformers season 2. "I'm so exited I am shorting my own circuits!" LOL I thought is was perfect for the moment.

Another thing, I just shattered my old record for tips in one day. I made $73 in tips alone tonight! That is not counting over 6 hrs pay on top of that. Smokin' and stoked to the max!
Old 10-16-2005, 01:33 AM
From NY to AZ

i'm using the duplicolor interior paint on the components that i haven't been able to replace with original black parts as well. it works great, and what i'm most impressed with is how easy it is to get an even coat. i don't get any orange peel or runny streaks with this stuff at all. i'm hoping to eventually replace all of the panels that i've had to paint with real black ones, but for now they'll work just fine painted

props on the new personal best, i didn't fare so well tonight
Old 10-16-2005, 06:25 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

That's cool man, I like to share things about making the Z better, and cheaper than hunting down parts. I am stoked, I used a gray polyester material on my console lid, and it looks sweet! It goes right along with the gray leather shift boot I have. Pics will follow soon, I want to get my stereo mounted maybe later on tonight after I get off work at Dominos. My Z is turning into a work of art, and I am so pleased, because this is the first interior I am redoing. I guess it is the artist skill in me. No bragging here, I just like it, when my gifts get put to good use.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:06 AM
Doesn't post much...

And just think Wildman... A couple of months ago you were gonna give up the whole project and your Z... Think of what you'd be missing. Nice work dude.

Rod.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:38 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Rock on WildMan! That is really startin' to look good dude.

Quick Reply: 1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion