280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 12:43 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I have some more pics on my cardomain page. Go ahead and check them out.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:34 AM

Hmm ... I have silver panels with blue carpet on the bottom third ...

... but they smell like ***, are hashed, and for a 2+2.

How's that for irony?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:40 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah tell me about it man. I could have got a nice set from somebody, until I realized hey those are for a 2 + 2. Because they were longer. All aside I got more done tonight in my interior. I installed the glove box, bolted in the fusebox panel, and such. Cleaned off the overspray on my gray carpeted pockets. Still need to find my goof-off cleaner, and finish taking off the blue on the vinyl part of the pockets. I can't remember where I put it last, it is irritating. Oh well it will turn up, next is recovering my headliner in a light grayish silver fabric. And soon dismantling my engine, and putting my headers on. Oh boy that will be a friggin' blast. I will learn more though. And I am taking plenty of pics, before I start the operation.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:58 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

All right everybody, there are some more pics on my cardomain page. With my door panels, and hardware put on. My front part of my interior just about all intact. Check it out, and leave me feedback comments. And today is the big day ladies and gentlemen. I start my surgery on my engine this morning after I get up and take lots of pics. So I can put it back together. I am exited, and then I am like oh man, this is going to be a lot of fun. Anyway I will post pics of my engine before and after I get everything cleaned up, headers put on, and such. I just can't wait until everything is together how I want it. Wish me luck everybody, and I will keep you updated as always!
Old 10-28-2005, 10:04 AM
Doesn't post much...

Wow! That is some serious blue... Looking better all the time man, nice going.

Rod.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:29 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Thanks Rod, I really appreciate that. It is definately turning out better than I expected. And what I was going for but even better. Still improving as I go, slowly but surely. I will be going outside soon, to go work on my engine.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:12 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I got the fuel rail and some other misc. stuff off yesterday. That took me about 2 hours to do. I ended up helping out Carl on Friday, and didn't do much Saturday. But I did drive my Z to Carl's Friday, and it was pretty cool. Except the lack of power when driving. But it was nice to see him out of my driveway at least. Well getting ready to go back out there, and try to finish cleaning up the rail, with steel wool maybe. Make it a brushed aluminum finish.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:09 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I guess I going to have to put the stock fuel rail back on. I don't want that hindering my project. I just want to drive my Z again. And this one has never showed me his full potential. I am going to my dad's here soon, and put my headers on the bench vise. And see if I can pry that pipe off, by using a big wrench. And also borrow his pipe cutter, and hacksaw, to cut the exhaust for the headers. Wish me luck everybody, and thanks for the support!
Old 11-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Good luck.. I am the only one in AZ now with a non-running Z
Old 11-18-2005, 07:07 PM

your car reminds me... when i met my wife she had the same car. Down to the color in fact. the factory injectors leaked fuel vapor, one day after i drove it to work, i came home and we got ready to go back out. we went to the parking lot of our old apartment an the fire dept. was puting out the fire under the hood of her z! It took her a long time to forgive me! We later found out that there is a problem whith the stock injectors and there was a recall. the initial fix was a after run blower(similar to a blow dryer) that would run for awhile after you shut the car off, it would blow air over the injectors so the vapor would not build up and combust from the engine heat. well the part failed when this went down, hence the fire. harsh. So check out the injector sitch, just to be safe- by the way i made it up to her by buying "her" a 1992 300zx twin turb.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:16 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Sorry to hear about her car fire, but the blower is not to prevent fires. It's there to prevent vapor lock which is the condition where the hot motor boils the gas in the fuel lines making it hard to start.

Leaking injectors is an entirely different problem that should be addressed as soon as possible in order to prevent the engine fire you experienced.

There's no way to keep leaky injectors from being a dangerous hazard.

Last edited by lww; 11-18-2005 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:36 PM

well that was 13 years ago so im going off memory-it was sad but the good news is we ended up getting married and are bolth big z fanz. We also now have a z32 tt so all is good. we will start the mods after the first of the year. my understanding is there was an inherint problem with the 1982 injectors.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:34 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I got the headliner recovered. Although it did not turn out like I wanted. Oh well, anyway I covered the map light in a gray polyester. And did the liner in 2 sheets of lighter grayish-silver. Because the foam was showing through the material. I am just about ready to remount it back into my Z. Probably tonight, and then mount the sunvisors, clips, rear view mirror etc... And then work on the t-top trim pieces, after that the door threshold pieces. Then the vertical door pillars. And I am still waiting for my dad to fix my headers. It is taking some time, but I understand, he has other stuff to do. If I had the money I would go ahead and buy a brand new set of Monza headers from VB. But I don't unfortuantely. Anyway I will let you know, anything else I get accomplished. And as soon as I get the headliner and such back in. I will take some pics, and post them.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:37 PM
Bleach is my Hero

I wanna see some pics Good stuff though.. seems like your knocking it down quick
Old 11-26-2005, 08:52 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah I am trying to knock it down quickly, but efficiently. I might take some pics, and try to post them on here. But I swear the headliner looks like a t-top pillow. Hopefully it will look good in my Z. Anyway I should have it in my Z tonight. I am taking a break, and relaxing a little bit. And then I will go out and tackle it. At the rate I am going my interior will be 95% finished, before the Z runs again. I can't just sit here, and twiddle my thumbs, waiting for the headers. I need to finish what I can.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:51 AM

It's probably for the best that you get as much done before she's running anyways. Cause once you get her going you're probably going to want to spend more time driving her which would cut into your resto time Keep it up. Your dedication is inspiring.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:06 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah definately, and if it turns out that the valve is burnt. I will just go ahead and rebuild the motor. Which will take more time. Because then my Z will sit until I pay off my dad for the Firebird. But hopefully after my dad gets done with the headers, and I clean up the contacts, check the injectors. The whole nine yards, he will run better.(I hope) Anyway got more accomplished today in my interior. Remounted my silver sunvisors, clips, rear view mirror. The headliner with the pillow look is starting to grow on me. Definately different than most. And now I am working on the overhead trim, windshield pillars. And painting them with the medium gray Dupli-color paint. It is real close to the factory color. And I also scored today on e-bay, and won a set of OEM t-top locks, with the Z emblems on them. They are red with a silver Z. $10, I am so stoked! Now after I get them, I will try and figure out how to mount them. They will be sweet in my Z, and good luck prying off my t-tops after I install them.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:25 PM

Those locks mount with the screw that holds the latch bezel in place. They're annoying to deal with but they've saved my ttops on atleast one occasion I know of when I came out from a junkyard and found a couple guys trying to get them off. Last time I forgot to lock my doors . I've since removed and discarded my locks though cause I kept hittin my head on them cause I always left them in the unlocked position and the hung out just far enough to clip my head when I was getting in or out of the car. If I had kept em locked then it wouldn't have been a problem.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:48 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

J, I gotta know, what did they do when you showed up? I can tell you, I would not have been a nice person...
Old 11-30-2005, 10:42 AM

I started yelling and they jumped in the back of their truck and shot out of there. If I hadn't had to load fender, side skirts and whatever other parts I had gathered I'd been right after them. Here's the best part: It was a couple of kids. Not like teenager kids either. I'm talking middle school age at the oldest. Their were two adults sitting in the truck and they had it backed up to my car. Ii recognized the truck from when I went into the junkyard. They were all sitting around in the bed of it as I pulled in and went into the yard. When I came out I saw them working on it and yelled to them. They saw me jumped back in the truck and took off. The sad part is the adults weren't even the ones doing the dirty work. I almost wonder what would've happened if I would've grabbed one of the kids. Would they still have shot out of there like that? It's pretty sad when it comes down to making you children do **** like that for you. If you want to steal something atleast be man enough to do it yourself. That alone would've been reason for to beat some ***. And not the kids' either I was pissed. But I was more upset about who was doing it then the fact that it was being done. I reported them to pick N pull so they could watch out for them so they didn't try it with anybody else. Had they actually gotten the tops I probably wouldve dropped the fender and went after them. They're worth more then my 50% off all body parts that I paid like $15 for And to top that day off my Z left stranded in Ontario (where the pick n pull is) which is like an hour from my house in Temecula (at the time). I called my brother to pick me up and 6 hours later he showed up. I only got about 2-3 miles from the yard before she crapped out too.

And to think, I passed up a good chase for a couple of side skirts that were stolen and a fender that has since been destroyed and long removed Oh well. Atleast I still got my ttops right
Old 12-01-2005, 04:19 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay another update for you guys. I redid the t-top handle trims in a dark grey polysester fabric. And repainted the handle cups, and the side trim pieces a medium gray. And I also put the same fabric over the screw holes and cracks in the cups. Can hardly even notice they are there. Man am I stoked, it looks sweet inside my Z. And I can't wait until I get my Autobot iron-on patches to put where the warning labels used to go. My imagination is runnning wild, and ideas are just pouring into my head. It has been a long time, since I have been this dedicated to anything. Leave it to a Z, to bring out my talents, and find my niches. I will post pics soon, after I mostly get the interior done. I figured in a full day, or 2. I could have the interior finished. But now I am pondering on the reverse glow gauges. I asked the seller, if I could get them with the 130mph speedo. I figured I would try, it doesn't hurt to ask. I will let you all know, if he can get them in the bigger speedo. Anyway going to bed, and get up early before work. And do some more painting. Maybe even paint, and install my new console shift plate. And then soon, take off my hatch, and get the strut towers out, along with the 1/4 trim panels.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:07 AM

You are a WildmaN, getting up early before work just to work on your Z. That's dedication man. I have a tough enough time waking up to be on time for work, let alone waking up early Get this ish done, we want to see pics. And just think, you'll be a rare breed of Zer; A ZX with a nice interior. Doesn't happen too often
Old 12-01-2005, 07:56 AM

GJ wildman!...i asked him about metric speedo...

but yeah i got up at 5:30 am to go to the garage...didnt have to be up till 12 pm....BUT I AM ALMOST DONE THE BODY...IM TALKIN FEW HOURS AWAY AND THEN I CAN PAINT YAY!!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Doesn't post much...

Can't wait to see those pics WildMan, You're doin' a Hell of a job!!

Rod.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:31 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well here it is guys, some recent pics of my almost redone interior. Let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails 1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion-picture-100.jpg   1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion-picture-101.jpg   1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion-picture-102.jpg   1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion-picture-103.jpg   1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion-picture-104.jpg  

Last edited by WildmaN; 12-22-2005 at 10:46 PM.

Quick Reply: 1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion