280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 01:20 PM

SHIKES Only 4 months to get my car ready I've got a lot of work to do.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:35 PM

Congrats Wildman,

Trust me, I know the feeling. I just got mine on the road yesterday, Dec, 28th. It's been 33 months since this car has been driven and Boy, what a rush. It was just a raggedy old weenie turbo car when I got it. But not any more...hee hee.. It used to be relatively quick, now it's just DAMN FAST!!! . Anyway, I managed to pass the emissions tests here in GA with NO EGR valve, a 3" Stainless exhaust system, a new catalytic converter and the Magnaflow Single 3" in and dual 3" out muffler. The guy at the inspection station said that my car displayed the lowest numbers he's ever seen as far as pollutants is concerned. Of course I'm running an SDS EM4-6F standalone ECU but I didn't do anything special to it to make it pass. Just installed it, tuned it a little with the LM1 Wideband mixture meter and VOILA!

Warren
Old 12-30-2005, 04:26 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well bad news, the Z is dead in the water. I have milky oil, and 3 cylinders are not firing. I am totally devastated. So I am proceeding with a engine swap from my '81. Probably in a month or so, I will have it done. My dad is using the cherry picker right now, but it should be available in a week or so. I just want to cry my eyes out. I have been off since the 22nd, and have worked on my Z the whole time. Some vacation huh, man this sucks!

Last edited by WildmaN; 12-30-2005 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:44 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I know this didn't take long to decide. But tomorrow, I am starting to dismantle both of my motors. And prepare them for the swap, yeah I know I am obsessed. But I am really determined to drive my Z by February or sooner. And nothing is going to stand in my way. And as I make progress, I will start to feel better. And I will push myself to get the swap done as soon as possible. Accurately of course, but at a pace. Will keep you informed every step of the way. They don't call me WildmaN for nothing.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:24 AM

GOOD LUCK BROTHER. YOU CAN DO IT!!

Off topic, whats with the autobot stuff????????/
Old 12-31-2005, 01:58 AM

He's a transformer nut. I'll let him explain the whole Blue Streak part to ya though. Don't want to steal his glory
Old 12-31-2005, 06:05 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Lost Vegaz, I am turning my Z into the Diaclone version of Bluestreak the Autobot from the Transformer line. Toys and cartoons, that I grew up with as a kid. And still love to this day. And since Blustreak was a 280zx Turbo. (technically an '81) I am cloning my '82 like the Autobot, painted blue and silver. As for the inside, I am making it like I see it would look like in the Transformer himself. I am fully using my artistic ability, and imagination. And trying to be totally different. And as you can see in my avatar. That is the toy of the Bluestreak Diaclone version. The only difference between the Diaclone, and the Autobot versions. Is the symbols on the hood, and the right top corner of the rear window. Otherwise I will as closely as possible make my Z like the toy lifesized and realistic. Hope this helped you out. And let me know if I need to explain, or collaberate, and I will gladly tell you some more.

And a word of warning, you asked for it. I could talk your ear off about Transformers. I have 3/4's of the original Generation 1 line. And mostly in boxes, and cards.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:37 PM

Wow, I did not know there was a transformer, that was a 81 ZX turbo. That is cool info. Now I understand the autobot theme. What about the paint, going to paint HIM exactly the same, decals and all?? That is really cool, and very artistic of you. Good luck, Great job by the way. now lets get him running.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:32 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Thanks man, and yes he will be painted exactly the same. Decals and all, also the Turbo emblems and such. The only difference will be I will not paint silver past the windshield. Just mainly the hood and the top of the fenders silver, and the rest of the car a cobalt blue. And He should be running within a month. I will start dismantling either tomorrow, or Monday for sure. And I should be ready in a week to start doing the swap. And then cleaning degreasing the engine I am putting in, and also the engine bay. Cleaning it, and painting it blue and silver.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:50 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay I will definately get up early in the morning, and start dismantling my '82 first. Then my '81 after, and getting them ready for the engine hoist. Then after the motor is out of the '82. I will start cleaning up the engine bay, parts and such. And probably do an aluminum finish to the firewall. While everything else in the bay will be blue, and some parts silver. Will figure it out as I go. First thing when I get up, is to take off the hood on my '82. Take out the radiator, fan a/c compressor, pulleys and such. And whatever else I need to remove so I can take the engine out, cleanly and smoothly.

And then I will pull the good motor out of my '81 put it on a engine stand. And start cleaning it up, and degreasing it. Repainting it, blue and silver of course. But the rest like what the engine will look like. Is going to be a surprise, so don't go crazy folks. You will agree, it was worth the wait. Anyway that is all for now. I say within a couple of weeks, depending on when I get the engine hoist from my dad. The motor should be back into my '82, and ready to fire up. We will see, but like I said my goal is the first part of February. To have him running again. As for downtime, when I am waiting for the hoist. I will do some more interior work, and also some body work. Finish my front bumper, and fix my rear bumper also. Anything else I can do, while waiting, so that I will be closer to having an almost show quality 280zx.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:03 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay I got the '82 pretty much ready to pull the motor out of. And I also started on my '81, and should have it ready in a couple of days. I jacked the bottom of the transmission, and they already started coming apart. So that is a good thing, it moving right along. I had to quit today, because of my allergies acting up. My nose constantly running, and sneezing. I couldn't get much more done today, and I am fighting a cold. Usually my allergies start in the spring-time. That is why I hate it when Spring rolls around. I am miserable, unless I keep popping allergy pills. Anyway will keep you updated, I should have the motors pulled next week. If my dad is done with the hoist by then.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:19 PM

Perservearance: It's golden Keep it up WildmaN. After a disaster like that and you jumped right back in the game.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:49 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah you can't keep the WildmaN down. LOL. Anyway I am still determined to drive a Z again. So I will do what it takes to make it happen. I have also decided, since I will be swapping the parts off of the '82 motor. To go ahead, and put the JSK fuel rail on, when I get the '81's motor done, and mouted into my '82. Also thinking about replacing my pilot bearing, or throwout bearing. Whichever one it is, that is making that whining noise. When the clutch is not pressed. And put fresh gear oil in my transmission also. Might as well, and it shouldn't be too hard to make it happen. Will keep you all informed as always.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:38 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay a little update for you guys. I pretty much have everything ready to start pulling my motors out. I talked to my dad last night, and him and my brother are bringing over the engine stand and hoist this Saturday. I am going to predict within a couple of weeks. I will be back on the road with my Z. And looking nice and cleaned up. Will keep you informed guys.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Big Poppa

BY THE WAY IT IS THE THROWOUT BEARING. HOPE THEY STAY LONG ENOUGH TO HELP
Old 01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I updated my project list some more. Eventually I will categorize it better. I just don't feel like messing with it. But sometime in the near future. And also check out my engine swap thread for updates.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:52 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Oh man I did quite a bit today. I turned my whitewalls inside, and they look a lot better. I mean the tires don't look so big because there are no whitewalls. Also I spent close to 2 hours cleaning up my wheels. They aren't perfect, but they do have a nice shine to them. I also did my T-top moldings in blue dupli-color, and mounted those. I also won a whole carpet set in blue for my Z too. So now I need I believe one more interior part. The driver's side a-pillar molding? It is the one that is inside beside the windshield, and curves by the end vents. And connects to the ECU cover. Let me know if anybody has one for sale.

So I would say within the next couple of weeks my interior will be close to finished. Minus the dashcap, floormats.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:42 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Sorry to bring this thread from the dead. But I have been thinking lately on what I want to do with the cosmetic of my Z. I am really thinking on getting rid of the big black trim, on the bottom of the doors. And cleaning that up, it will look sleeker, I think. And either taking my front and rear bumpers off. Paint them silver on top and bottom, and blue in the middle. Or putting '79-'81 280zx front and rear chrome bumpers, and painting the black part cobalt blue. Haven't decided on that one yet. I really have not been motivated lately to do much more on my Z. Because of emissions problems. But hopefully I will pass, and get my plate and tags. And then I will proceed on the cosmetic parts of my Z. I mean right now, he is pretty dirty, but I want to get him through. And then he will start looking a lot better. And also buffing out the rest of my original blue paint. And finish my silver scheme on the hood, fenders, and cow panel. I have even been contemplating on doing metallic silver between the taillights. Mainly because the blue paint is chipping, and flaking off. And if looks like crap, so it is just something to cover it up. And give me a more customized look.

So there you have it, just some more ideas, after I get him through the smog *****. Feel free to post your thought, and or comments on this thread.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:03 AM

Heh, that will keep you busy for at least a year!
Old 04-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Big Poppa

id do it exactly like the transformer there aarron, but thats just me.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:57 PM
I'm a Registered User!

Originally Posted by SHADY280
id do it exactly like the transformer there aarron, but thats just me.
Hahahaha I never noticed the colors on it where the same as your plan for the Z.

That's great, and I like the idea of the silver between the headlights, ooohh you know what you could do, try that whole change the paint in photoshop deal, I don't know how to do it, but maybe someone would help you out here!

(easier (I'd hope) than painting to get a feel)
Old 07-14-2006, 01:42 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Allright, I know it has been a while, but I am coming up with more things I want to do soon. For starters, I am taking off both of my bumpers. Tired of looking at my Z crooked. Especially the rear bumper is really getting to me, because of the right rear quarter being fubarred up, from the previous owner.

I am going to try and borrow my dad's come along hand winch, and try to pull the quarter out straighter. Maybe by using a tree or something like that. What harm could it do anyway? If I successfully got it to straighten out. My Z would practically be straight, except for the crookedness in the front. Still working on that one though. I might do the same thing to the front, as I am for the rear. Just tired of not seeing my Z look straight. I want him to look better. Also I am thinking about sanding my hood smooth again. And trying to repaint it silver, after I put flat black on again. I am tired of looking at the crappy spray job I did. It worked out great on my fenders, just not the hood for some reason.

Okay that is all for now, feel free to post comments, and such like always.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:59 PM
Big Poppa

go wildman!!!! its good to hear its coming along so smoothly now, compared to before, its great to have a z you can jump into and drive all day. and one like yours that looks good too
Old 07-14-2006, 02:02 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Thanks Shady, yeah and your Z looks **** too. Hopefully someday mine will look as good as yours. I am determined to get him there. And in time for MSA '07.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:13 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I can't hold this back any longer. I am getting another Z here soon. And before any of you say. "Why do want to get another project?" I will say: "It is so I can finish restoring my '82, and still have a Z as a daily driver" Okay what all that means. Is that this Z is in real d#mn good shape. Much better body, will run on starting fluid, and such. And I think with what I have learned on my '82. I am sure I can get this other one running and on the road. In a good timeframe. The price is right, and I have already said, I am buying it. Not going to disclose much more about it. Until I aquire it, here in a month or 2. As for year and such. Okay I will tell you that much at least. It is an '83 280zx Charcoal gray, coupe 2 seater of course. That is all for now, will tell you more about it later.

Quick Reply: 1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion