280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 06:33 PM

I think you did something wrong. They're not coming up as pics or links. Fix it. I want to see this ish. Is your cardomain page updated? I'll go check that out.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:35 PM

Well I checked out cardomain and no cookies I still cant get over how good those door panels look though. Hey WildmaN, what are you doing for your stereo? Ah hell, you gotta PM coming your way.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:51 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Here are some more pics for you guys. Or should I say another one. I need to take some more later.
Attached Thumbnails 1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion-picture-105.jpg  
Old 12-02-2005, 07:09 PM
Doesn't post much...

Great work WildMan. That headliner looks a little iffy though... I'm sure you're planning on fixing that up though so I won't be too critical. You're doing an awesome job. It is truly inspiring. I was hoping my headlight covers would get here today but they didn't. I thought it would be nice to have something new to add to my Z this weekend but it looks like it'll have to wait a couple of days. Maybe I'll find some other little thing to work on. I still have one t-top that needs re-painted on the trim pieces and some little things here and there. All the chrome trim that I blacked out is flaking off in sections. I am starting to think it's just not meant to be painted. I prep'd it well and used etching primer on it but it's still not adhereing like it should. I might just strip it all back down to the chrome finish for a while. I suppose I could take it all off at some point and see if I can get it powder coated... but that's going to cost a butt-ton of cash. Maybe I'll do something worthy of taking some more pictures over the weekend.

Rod.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:16 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Believe it or not, those t-top trims, the handle cups are repainted, and the main trim in gray polyester. And I put the Autobot patches on each one. It really looks sweet, and I am quite happy with it. Thanks for the compliments. As for the headliner, it will look better after I reinstall the t-top plastic moldings. I ran out of Dupli-color medium gray. Going to hit the store after Karoke tonight, and my B-day's tomorrow. Of course I will do more work on my Z before the family celebration. And good luck on your Z Rod, I can't wait to see some pics from you also.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:19 PM

The pics don't really do the car justice. I was there when Wildman did the coin box and some other stuff. I've never seen anyone so intent on getting his car done, or so full of different ideas. He's doing an AWESOME job (that had to be put in for Wildman). It's totally AWESOME!!! He is DRIVEN!!
Old 12-02-2005, 10:19 PM

yeah definitely looking good WildmaN.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:53 AM
Doesn't post much...

Yeah, WildmaN is the bomb! I think when he gets done working on his car, I'm going to drive over to AZ and drop my car off at his house so he can tweak out on it for me and do all the little ish that drives me crazy to work on. I think he inadvertantly found a new line of work.

Time for the WildmaN to open his own 280ZX restoration center. He can call it something like "Sun Devil Z" or have a little catch phrase on his busniess cards that reads something like... "The only thing hotter than the Arizona sun should be your Z car!"

"Inquire about our special 'Transformers' packages"

Rod.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:06 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Thanks all you guys, that brings a tear to my eye. I am overwhelmed, by your compliments and suggestions. It is just crazy, that this is my actual first time, restoring a car fully. Sometimes I think I am dreaming, and can't believe I have done all the work in my interior of my Z. And how it is turning out, and my visions I had a few months ago. Are becoming a reality, and here is another idea I have brewing inside my head. You know in the old school Transformers cartoons. Where they show inside the Autobots occasionaly. When they are talking, and it shows a sort of voice box in the middle of their dash? I want to get something like the car is talking to you, only in Bluestreak's voice. That would be the bomb. Carl said I would need to find a spectrum analyser and hook it up with a switch. That would be an ultimate trip, and it would keep people that look at my Z guessing.

Again you are all the ones that keep me going, and I found out today my Dad fixed my headers. So now all I have to do is clean them up. And mount them back into my Z, then I will determine if it is my cat that is bad. Or if I have a burnt valve, which would suck. But that won't stop me, I have decided. If I have to rebuild my head. I am going to swap motors, the one out of my '81. Which runs great, even though it is old. But I rebuilt the head on it, in '01, and it runs strong. I don't care I want to drive my Z again. I don't want to wait 6 months or more, it will drive me insane. So either way within a couple of months, I will be on the road.

And thanks Rod for the comments on opening a shop. And the fact you would drive all the way down here, just so I can mess with your Z. I am flattered, that you would trust me to touch your baby. That means a lot to me, like you wouldn't believe. As for opening a Z business, I have quite a bit on my plate right now. But thanks for the thought nonetheless. But if you want to come down, let me know. But I really need to clean up this house. Which is my next project after the Z gets done.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Bleach is my Hero

DAMN Wildman I gotta roll though and check that out.. Thats hot ish..
Old 12-04-2005, 01:00 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Thanks man, if you like feel free to stop by. Just let me know, when. Anyway I should be on the road within a couple of weeks. I am going to clean up the headers, and other engine parts. And remount everything. And run him with straight headers, and see if it is my cat that is plugged up. Hopefully it is, but if not. A swapping we will go, with the motors from my Z's. Will keep you all updated as always, and thanks everyone for the encouragement and support.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:54 PM

You're the one giving US the encouragement WildmaN, that's why we give you the support

Keep It Up.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:09 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

That's cool, but it is all your feedback that has kept me going. But I am glad that I am keeping you all going. And you guys have helped me out, for most of my project, and when I needed help you were there. I have learned so much from joining this kick-#ss website! YOU ALL ROCK, AND LONG LIVE THE Z CARS!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:57 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Old 12-05-2005, 10:09 AM

I'm not even going to ask
Old 12-06-2005, 03:39 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I started cleaning up my headers yesterday before work. I hit them with a brillo pad, and steel wool. And then hit them with high temp aluminum paint. It is turning out good, so I should have those mounted this week. And I am still cleaning up the intake manifold. Man I wish I had a air tool, to blow the junk off. Sometime I would like to get a air compressor. But I can't afford it right now. And I have to think about Christmas. So I will be crashing soon, and getting up early to do some more work on my Z before work. Hopefully I will have my headers ready to be remounted. Will let you all know how it goes.

And by the way L-dub you crack me up with your smilies post. Too funny man, off the wall. LOL!
Old 12-06-2005, 12:53 PM

WildmaN, check out www.harborfreight.com for really cheap aircompressors. You don't need anything fancy for blowing air and inflating tires. And shipping there is next to nothing.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:21 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah a co-worker of mine, got a nice 21 gallon compressor for like $160. There is a Harbor freight here in Mesa. Probably after the first of the year, I will look into getting one. But can't right now, have to focus on Christmas, and such. Anyway thanks for the thought though, appreciate it bro'.

Well today, I have the exhaust pipe cut halfway. I need to jack the car up a little more, so I can get the pipe cutter to go all the way around. But I have my head surface cleaned up, and set the gasket on, to see how it looks. And started piecing the bolts on the head surface. Should have the pipe cut tomorrow. And if all works out I hope to at least run him this weekend. Hopefully Friday, and Carl wants to be there when I fire him up with straight headers. Should be pretty loud, but it will determine, if my cat is plugged or not. If there is no change, after I clean up the contacts, and check everything thoroughly. I will get prepared for an engine swap from my '81. Which that motor is pretty strong. Temporary so I can drive my Z sooner. And to give me time to get a Turbo with the trimmings. You know the stuff I need, stockwise.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:29 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay I should have the pipe cut tomorrow, and then start putting him back together. I had to take care of some business this afternoon. I switched car insurance companies. I am paying $76 a month for my Z, and my Celica. My older one, I was paying $72 for just the Celica. Big difference huh? Anyway my goal is if I don't work this Friday. I will try and have my Z running, I will bust my butt, and try my hardest to get him going. Wish me luck, and keep your fingers crossed. This is a 50/50 chance, to see if I need a valve job. And like I said if that is the case, I am swapping the motor out of my '81. I will let you know how it goes. And once again, thank you all for the support, and encouragement. Rock on!
Old 12-16-2005, 03:06 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Allright, I got the pipe cut enough to put the headers on. I also cut off the bad end of the header pipe to be more even and round. Then I got the motor on one side of the motor mounts. Now I have to do the fun side. The passenger side with all the crap in the way. Man it will be more fun NOT! Anyway I roughly put the headers on the head where they are supposed to go. And man do they look sweet! I painted them with a high temp aluminum silver. (Dupli-color of course) Now when I get up this morning, I am going to get the passenger motor mount bolted in. And then start assembling the motor. I think in about another week, I will be able to run him. Should be no problem, when I have a cheater Z behind. (my '81) As it is both my Celica, and 280zx are insured. So as soon as I get him running, I will take him down the street. And see if there is any difference. Both Carl and I are crossing our fingers. Wish me luck guys, and I will keep you informed here as always.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Now when I get up this morning, I am going to get the passenger motor mount bolted in.
And you're sleeping while you type this or is you computer in your bed
Old 12-16-2005, 02:25 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Here is a recent pic of my headers installed on the head. Man do they look sweet!
Attached Thumbnails 1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion-picture-107.jpg  

Last edited by WildmaN; 12-16-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:40 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Here is a recent pic of my headers installed on the head. Man do they look sweet!
That they do.. **** is HOT wildman
Old 12-18-2005, 01:22 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Thanks man, yeah they are sweet. Anyway I am holding off on installing the JSK fuel rail. It is going to be a pain to get the fittings, attachments, and such. And also the regulator, and fuel pressure gauge. So I am going to for now, paint the trombone hightemp aluminum, and any other parts that same color. Like the EGR valve, air regulator, and any other stuff on the intake, that needs a hit of color. And also I am painting the fuel injector cooling fan hightemp aluminum, the stock air cleaner, aluminum, and cobalt blue. Also the fan is either going to be blue, or aluminum. (not sure yet) I am repainting the valve cover cobalt blue again. Also the oil cap, master cylinder cap, power steering cap, and any other caps, aluminum hightemp. Just more ideas, and such I am coming up with as I go. Like I said before, blue and silver inside and out roughly 95% of the car. With a little black splashed here and there.

Well going to finish cleaning up the intake manifold. And get it remounted back onto the car. When I get up later this morning. And paint, mount things back onto it. And get my Z ready for his run next Friday. That is what my goal is, to drive my Z to my parents house Christmas eve.(next Saturday) So I am determined to meet that goal, and then show my Z to my other friends. That I have talked their ears off for months. LOL That's it for now, will let you know, if anything new comes up.

Last edited by WildmaN; 12-18-2005 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Doesn't post much...

Hey WildmaN, Just make sure that you aren't in too much of a hurry. Take your time and do it right and you won't have to do it twice. I've learned this the hard way many many times. IMO you might want to reconsider remounting the old fuel rail just because you don't yet have all the stuff for your JSK. I know the temptation to hurry through getting everything done is huge, but no sense in doing something twice. If you don't mind tearing all that stuff apart two times, then more power to ya, but if all you need is an extra week or two to get the right stuff for the JSK... Not sure what all you need or how hard it will be to track it all down, but with enough patience and persistance I know you can "Git 'er done". Either way, you're doing a Hell of a job and I love watching your progress! It keeps my eye on the ball as far as staying involved with my own project. Thanks for the constant inspiration.

Rod.

Quick Reply: 1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion