280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quit Running

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 08:25 PM

Quit Running

280ZX 2+2 (1983). The engine ran fine & I would start it up daily while working on the body. After a couple of weeks the engine just quit. When it ran the compression on all 6 cylinders was 190 in each. You could turn it over & it tried to start missing but wouldn't run. I have since removed the gas tank & cleaned it, new injectors, spark plugs & wires, ignition coil (it was leaking), and fuel filter . Still doesn't start unless I spray starter fluid & it will run for a few seconds. Any further suggestions? I tried the previous suggestions by checked fuel pump (after filter) high pressure even with thumb covering hose, fuel sprays out. I pulled fuel pressure regulator (can't blow thru) & replaced with one from ould 280ZX car would start up & run for maybe 2 to 3 secs & quit. Poss fuel regulator is bad. Don't think timining is off since when it ran it sounded good. Not sure what next. I also replaced the fuel pump & it pumps fuel past the the fuel filter.

Last edited by BigEkak1941; 02-18-2005 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Update info
Old 01-25-2005, 09:16 PM
The Evil Twin

If it fires and runs for a sec with starting fluid then you probably know you are lacking fuel.

Maybe do an easy test to see if you get any fuel at all up to the injectors. Disconnect the rubber fuel hose. Have one person with a large bottle or bucket to contain the fuel. (wear goggles, it might splash) Turn the car on but not to the START position yet. Fuel should spit out for a couple seconds at least. If not, try to start it. If still no fuel then your fuel pump either isn't getting power or is bad.

...its a start...
Old 01-26-2005, 09:15 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Smells like a bad fuel pump.

The good news is it's on the outside of the tank on the passenger side.

It's an easy replacement. But before you spend the money on a new pump, use a multi-meter to make sure you're getting power to the pump.

At this age, those wires generally have corroded connectors.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:58 AM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

i had the same problem when i first bought my z, but i was lucky enough to have gotten a spare used pump with it. i replaced it not even being sure it was the problem, but sure enough she was up and running again. and then it went out about 2000 miles later. on that note, DONT USE AUTOZONE OR KRAGEN PUMPS, damn things are universal and dont have the right amount of pressure for the z. makes it run, but it runs like crap. it was running so bad at idle, my neighbor thought i had put a v8 in it.:doh:
Old 01-26-2005, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by BleachZee
If it fires and runs for a sec with starting fluid then you probably know you are lacking fuel.

Maybe do an easy test to see if you get any fuel at all up to the injectors. Disconnect the rubber fuel hose. Have one person with a large bottle or bucket to contain the fuel. (wear goggles, it might splash) Turn the car on but not to the START position yet. Fuel should spit out for a couple seconds at least. If not, try to start it. If still no fuel then your fuel pump either isn't getting power or is bad.

...its a start...
Thanks for your suggestions. Checked fuel pump hose after filter & tons of fuel even w/thumb over hose it then sprays out. I pulled the fuel pressure regulator don't know if you should be able to blow thru it, but I can't so I put an one on from an old z I have worked car started but only for 2 to 3 secs then quit. Poss need new regulator, when it ran sounded good, but only the short time. What do you think?
Old 01-26-2005, 06:20 PM

Bad electricals perhaps. Maybe your alternator or battery has gone bad. Possibly you need new spark plugs, wires, distributer cap, and coil (maybe not all of those). My friend had a similar problem when there was a short somewhere in his Mustangs electrical wiring.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:15 PM

Quit Running

I have a 1981 280zx 2+2, it ran fine and then all of the sudden one day it won't start. I replaced wires, coil, pressure relay, cap rotor etc. First I marked V notch and teeth part with whiteout then I got the timming light set up and had my wife start the car and for those few seconds it did run I checked timming. ( L28 engine 0 degrees Teeth on Fixed part of motor and V notch on pulley. If timming is ok. Unplug the rubber boot and look at the ignition modual. On the 1981 it is mounted right in front of the distr. cap just behind the fan. Small black unit about 2"by 3" Scrape and clean all corrosion (Green) on the plug and connector. Try to start. It worked, car started right up.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:35 PM

You might also want to make sure your AFM isnt causing you issues. They sometimes can open up all the way and stick, thus giving you to much air. Or not open at all thus giving you not enough air.
This is just a thought. The 3 things you need to run is Air, Fuel and Spark.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:45 AM

you might want to check the big air hose around the afm. if it has rotted and has holes in it it can also give you these symptoms
Old 02-20-2005, 05:16 PM

First I want to thank all those who gave me suggestions on how to resolve the problem. Since I have a second Z for parts I switched out the AFM (Air Flow Meter) and wouldn't you know the car started right up with no problems. Now I just need to paint the car & put it on the road (the Kid will replace carpets later). Once again thanks.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:45 PM

car quit

be sure to check the vacuem mod on top of the motor,you have two it looks like a fuel filter on the fuel system,tank,to pump to moduel by the pump to the one on the top of the moter to fuel injecters,it fixed mine. might work,can't remeber what they are called?big round thing on the fuel injecter rack.