Upstate Z Club The Upstate Z Club is located in the Upstate of South Carolina and has members in Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson, SC.

Electric Issues HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 06:39 AM

Electric Issues HELP!

Ok I got a Problem, I think I got a power draw some place heres the symtoms.

Car Starts, runs, Idels, performs fine. If I have the door open and start the car my volt gage will not read until the door is shut. If I turn on my Lights the Tach needel with Drop along with the volt gage. If I have the lights off and run my heater blower motor, and apply the breaks the fan will die down and the Tach with drop ad the volt meter reads about 10, I then turn the Fan off and rev up and the volt gage with climb back up and shortly there after the Tach will turn back on.

I think its my altornator acting up, but I runs the car and powers the battery fine. It seems to be only with the interior power stuff.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-25-2009, 07:08 PM

sounds ugly..... check all the connections at the battery...make sure none of the wires on back of alternator have come loose,,,check and tighten all power cables and ground connections...let me know if anything changes
Old 01-25-2009, 10:56 PM

checks

I have checked everything on the engine bay side, I replaced my battery with the Red top and put new terminals on the wires when it got here. The altornators all tight and the so is everything else I can see. I took the dash down a weekend or so ago to fix my heater blower, I didnt see anything out of place then. Could it be my alternator its self? not strong enough to hold the load?
Old 01-26-2009, 05:37 AM
The Good Twin

Sounds like the alternator. Any auto parts shops like Autozone in Germany? Just need to do a load test... or check the voltage yourself.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:32 AM

yep and nope

No auto shops like auto zone. I tested the voltage and I get a good 14.change I havent been able to test it while putting a lod on it Ill give that a try tomorrow, I just noticed today that when I get a load on it and it starts to die down If i rev it up still under load the Alt. belt will squeek, I checked the belt and Its good and tight. I thought that was kinda odd. I dont have a multi meter strong enough to test the Amps.

Bill you know were I can get a Alt for this thing Germans are no help the skyline is not illeage to own, but they are not able to sell it... Nissan here cant even access the Part log on there system. The Part number on Mine is 23100-70t14. Or better yet if I mailed it home could someone rebuild it?

is a 255-40-17 Big enough for a 17x9.5?

Last edited by rb250zx; 01-26-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:41 PM
East Coast Style

I run 275/40-17 on 17X9 rims Brian, I think a 255 would be alittle too narrow on a 9.5 rim.

It almost sounds to me like you have a Short somewhere on a big wire. If the Alternator belt is tight and it gets put under a large load it will/can make the belt slip because of the load. I would turn the car off and undo the positive wire to see if it makes a big arc when reconnecting. If it does disconnect the AMP wire if you have one, and then try to leave the 10guage wire that feeds all of the electronics of the car off to see if it still arcs.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:25 PM

hmm?

Im pretty sure Bill wired the RB into the z wiring harness most of it still looks the same, I can see were he made his conections. So you saying the Interior power wire take that off and run the car and see if it still does it? Only thing with that is it only does it uner a load. Just running Its fine. I have to turn the Lights on and Do one other thing Like hit the breaks or turn on the Fan. If i misunderstood something let me know. Im gonna get a load on it today and see whats going on. Its kinda odd. Ive just not been driving it at night really its become more of a Day optimal weather car =\ But having a blacked out Z with an rb in it on the autoban at night time is alot of fun. The flames Ooooh the Flames. I got footage of me and a budy crusing at night time, I got a blue Flame in my Pipe at all times and when I shift it Turns orange and shoots back like a meter+. This cars a beast with a dumb electric problem. Oh and you think I should go with a 275? Im gonna have to cut some fender on the rear Ill be good up front with the 16x8 but on the rear with a 17x9.5 and a 275, Im gonna end up cutting
Old 01-27-2009, 05:53 PM

did this problem start after taking the dash out and fixing the heater???? If so I would back track and check all the connections or possible grounds
Old 01-28-2009, 10:11 AM

nope

It was there before I did that. Im thinking its got to be This altornator, Because It doesnt matter what I do to put a load on it. Its not just one thing. I can put the window down, turn the lights on, the fan, Open the door. It doesnt matter thought If im driving down the road I can have the lights on the fan blowing and play with my windows all I want and it wont do it. When I first start the car it takes like 3 mins for the Volt gage to get up to about 14, unless I rev it up.

I ordered tires today Dunlop (2) 205/40/16 (2) 265/40/17 Hopfully they get ere about the same times as my rims.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:08 AM

Fixed it!!

Today I started all over again, I cleaned all Grounds. I dont have any draws, and my volage is back were it needs to be. Im not exactly what I cleaned off but one of the conections helped. Oh and Bill Did you know you never hooked up Reverse lights HAHAHHA!. I found the Switch on the Trany dangelin so I said to my self, Hmm that looks like a reverse light indicator! So then I put the car in reverse and sure enough no Lights... Heh so now I got something else to wire up. Im suprised no one ever told me my lights didnt come on.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:02 AM

congratz.... feels good when its fixed and you fixed it.....would be nice to know what connection...but atleast it is fixed
Old 02-01-2009, 01:19 PM

Yep

Im pretty sure it was the ground for the tach sensor. It was pretty well painted so I took a file to it and Got it shiney then put it back together. I drove it to Ettenheim today about 148ks away from heidelberg were I live I had no problems at all. It was No speed limit the whole way I had a hard time stayin under 140 mph hehehe, Honestly This car is built great you can truly only get a full feel for it on the autobahn im so glad I brought it over here. Taking the turns of the autobahn and just knowing "Im doing 100 mph in 5th gear crusing at -15 vaccume with 2 inches of throtal to go!" Well any who I get happy every time I drive my Z theres nothing like it Money well spent and done by the right people.