300ZX Z32 Tech Tips For 90-96 Z32's.

How to make the N/A Faster?? swap mass merge thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 06:06 PM

Before you go and start calling a Subaru WRX turbo, "A little 4 banger POS", you should do your homework. The stock STI's are just about the quickest cars on the market today.

The number of owners doesn't necessarily cause the value of your car to drop. The value is based primarily on the condition of the vehicle.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:08 PM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
Before you go and start calling a Subaru WRX turbo, "A little 4 banger POS", you should do your homework.....
I think Zwrecker might have a few things to say about that
Old 06-26-2005, 07:16 PM

well as fast as it may be the body style has nothing on my Z and i would have to say the handling is probably not as good but hey i could be wrong.....i just wish mine was faster though i am just gonna do the udp the ecu and headers, driveshaft and flywheel ...in that order any other sensors i could change or any tuner type things i could do to improve performance?....also i removed spare tire and jack what else can i remove for more weight reduction....also maybe a polished intake plenum and i sell cars and at my service dept we have the complete synpower fuel injector cleaner throttle body and intake cleaner how much of a difference would i do if i did this to my 110k Z?
Old 06-26-2005, 07:50 PM
Old Polish Lady Lover

Location: Cheektowaga, NY...land of nothing but a mall and 10,000 old Polish ladies
i would do a TT rather than the big single turbo...just cause thats how the car is made to be, and just so ya know how much i think you got ripped off, my ZX had 85K miles on it, a PERFECT body, average stereo, bone stock, and i paid 4800 for it...and there are plenty out there for similar prices...shoulda looked around more man...

i suggest driving this one for a while, figure out if this really is a car you want to hang on for a while, maybe do a few simple bolt on's just to get 'em out of the way...then decide if you wannt build up a tt motor out of the NA, or do a swap...dont jump into it yet, wait until you have plenty of driving the car under your belt and you learn more and most importantly, have it paid off...
Old 06-26-2005, 08:57 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by iminsideurZ
i would have to say the handling is probably not as good but hey i could be wrong.
everything i have heard is that they handle like they are on rails. remember, the wrx has a good 15 years technology on the z32, and subaru is one of the best with AWD technology. i fully agree that the z is a much better looking car though, and still a badass car , even by todays standards. the na isnt bad at all, i'm buying one this winter when prices go down. it will be my daily driver, so i dont need all the hassles of tt maintinence, or any more reason for cops to give me tickets. that, and i'm still at a place in my life where i want to pay cash for stuff, and tt's are overpriced in washington.

Last edited by entropy31; 06-26-2005 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:14 AM
El Viejo

Like everyone says a N/A isn't a TT and like racing you have to stick with cars in your class or lower which is about 80% of the cars out there. You have and drive one of the best N/A cars ever built. As soon as you learn to handle all the N/A Z32 has to offer the sooner you'll learn to love your Z.
Also in the corners it stick like the stink on poop. Listen to the N/A guys and do the upgrades they suggest and you won't go wrong.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Bad Speller

yeah I agres my N/A was faitfull. it only broke down once when the waterpipes went out, it was fast, good looking, well i can;t say it was a gas saver but it was well worth it. never got a chance to upgradethe damn thing, but i'm sure it would have bin hella faster if I did.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:44 PM

One more thing - if you think the NA is a bitch to work on, don't go TT. ;-)
Old 06-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by TT XTZ
....agreed
Old 06-27-2005, 07:17 PM

maybe in NY these cars are a litle more plentiful i had to travel hours to get one in good shape
Old 06-27-2005, 07:55 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by TT XTZ
LOL............... I keep hearing from everybody how hard these cars are to work on. After having recently done the T-belt and a few other things...... I'd say this car in general is about a 6 on a scale of 1 - 10 in difficulty. I've worked on a number of more basic cars that were just as, or more, difficult. Another thing I can say tho is that this car caused me much more pain in the back and knees. Even with it jacked up off the ground.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:08 PM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
LOL............... I keep hearing from everybody how hard these cars are to work on. After having recently done the T-belt and a few other things...... I'd say this car in general is about a 6 on a scale of 1 - 10 in difficulty. I've worked on a number of more basic cars that were just as, or more, difficult. Another thing I can say tho is that this car caused me much more pain in the back and knees. Even with it jacked up off the ground.
io believe disel engines are pretty hard to work on? are they or in a scale from 1 - 10 what takes teh 10?
Old 06-27-2005, 08:15 PM
Bad Speller

yeh. i got mine for i'm not 100% sure but it was liek 3500 or 4000 and it currently has 65,xxx miles. took a while to find btu here it is.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:51 AM
Old Polish Lady Lover

Location: Cheektowaga, NY...land of nothing but a mall and 10,000 old Polish ladies
they're out there, all over...i didnt stay in NY to find mine...i was willing to waste a few hundo in gas money driving to get the car in order to save a few grand on the car itself...i dont know why you wouldnt be willing to, i left the house at 8AM one day, 6 hour drive, looked at the car for a while, then 6 hours home...few weeks later, did it all over again, only this time came home in it...

found mine in New Jersey, just across the PA line...and i live on the total opposite side of NY...and i had also found numerous very clean zx's all over the country, i used autotrader.com and just set my search as 5 spd, NA, under 100k miles, 1990 to 1995, under $7k, and still got a LOT of matches all in real good shape...

spending the time to shop around and do your homework properly beats the hell out of having to do it all over again later, or worse, having such regret that you totally trash the idea of owning a ZX...
Old 06-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Bad Speller

I agree *nods head*
Old 06-28-2005, 07:39 PM

you are saying i trashed my car i touch my car more than my wife i never trashed it....i just said i want it faster ! your saying i got ripped of well i did search a long time carfaxed the vehicle its already a stage 2 and has a kick *** system ....plus ai got all the maintenance records from original purchase and a car cover so i say i got a great deal......i love my car i want to plenty to it....i just want to make it a fast car ....and right now i think it accelerates slow due to its weight....i have asked for weight reduction ideas and some simple ideas....does anyone know what to expect with the additions of ecu pulley set, headers and flywheel and driveshaft?
Old 06-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Bad Speller

u want fdaster acceleration, gut the car.just leave dash and door trim. seats ofcourse, btu carpet and insulation gotta go out. everithing on the back. all interior pieces and trim has to coem off, spare tire and everithing. do headers, intake, full exhaust, UD pulley kit. polish thorttle bodyes, add TT injectors, a dry 50shot nitrous kit, and you shoudl be pretty darn quick. but that's just me.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:09 PM
Old Polish Lady Lover

wait wait wait, you're bragging it sounds...about it being a "stage 2" already...but it's na right? you do realize that a stage 2 na is still slower than a stock TT...and i'm not saying you got ripped, thats still a good cost for a car as beautiful as the 300zx, i'm just saying you coulda done better...

and as far as the maintenance records and what not, how do you know if they are good if you dont even know what good maintenence is for this car? i mean you earlier admitted to not knowing much about the 300zx, but now are acting like your a maintenance pro on the car and because you can read a record, it's a good car...thats like me saying "oh i change the oil every 3k miles, and when the belts squeek, i change them too, and only use 93 octane gas, so it has to be the best maintained zx in the world..."

again, i'm coming across as an *******, and thats just natural for me, but i'm trying to make a point, and not hate...you have to learn from what i'm saying, not hate me for it...

check those records you have, and tell me, anywhere in there does it mention a new timing belt? water pump? front and rear main seals? hell maybe even a PTU which i recently found out has somewhat poor design on the car and can go whenever? the main EFI harness...which on average is good for 100k miles before it starts to wear and crack in certain spots? before me mentioning all this, would you have even known to look for these things?

and just so you know, everything that went into making this car the stage 2 NA that it is will pretty much be useless modding once you do the TT swap, because then its back to square one...you probably paid a lot more for the car than you should have just because it's a "stage 2 NA"...once you do a tt swap, all the NA parts come out...or at least most...and you'll have pretty much a stock TT...you shoulda just bought a clean stock NA for 2 or 3 grand less, not worrying about it being upgraded...if you had really planned ahead to do a swap...

have fun, and like i already said...dont hate me, i'm just trying to help you realize what you're in for...besides a fun, sweet lookin ride...
Old 06-29-2005, 08:51 AM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by 90NA300ZX
...if you had really planned ahead to do a swap...have fun ...
It's hella fun
Old 06-29-2005, 12:05 PM
Dan's the Man

Geez...the Z is a commodity. Price like everything else is based on supply and demand in a geographical area. Yes, there may be lower prices ones but perhaps no where near where the guy lives.
My car as an example. I paid $10K Canadian ($7500 US). By most standards that would be overpaying (car was in great shape w/ 96K on the odometer but no maintenance records). Up here that is a good price in my opinion. I still see z's with over over 150K miles selling for $10k and I can't remember when I last saw a decent TT for less than $18k.
Not saying he paid too much, too little or the perfect price. If he is happy with what he paid so be it. You have expressed your opinion on his purchase price, lets move on.

Anywho...back on topic.
iminsideurZ, you asked about pullies, headers, flywheel and driveshaft. These add nothing to the crank but will free up some horses to the wheels. Add an upgraded ECU to that list and you will be in the area of 200 rwhp or just shy of it (condition of the engine and drivetrain will dictate if +/-).
The headers are not an easy DIY project...so if you are paying someone to do it. It may not be worth it. Headers will benefit more if you decide NOS is in your future.
You can improve your launch and handling through suspension upgrades. This won't add any horses but will better allow you to utilize what you already have.
If you are going after a TT swap in time. Be aware of what mods you can carry over with you to the TT otherwise you are spending money that won't benefit you down the road. Headers again is a big example here.

Not too far from you in Georgia is a place called Z1 motorsports (www.z1motorsports.com) they do swaps. Give them a call, they might be able to assist you with making up your mind on what route is best for you.

Of course before any of this. Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:45 PM
Old Polish Lady Lover

word to that...if you live close to z1motorsports...take advantage of it...i may have already mentioned it, but they will do a full tt conversion for ya for $6K if you have a manual...and they do it all the time so there would be no worries as to the quality of the work...and like i was once told, if you plan on doing forced induction eventually, you're better off doing it as soon as possible, so you dont spend tons and tons of money on little things everywhere that give you hardly any gain...
Old 06-29-2005, 04:34 PM

is that 6k including motor and labor and also how long will it take them to do it?.....a stillen exaust isnt able to be transferred to a TT huh???......and as far as my knowledge go s i think i know what a well serviced vehicles documents should look like i am a car salesman.....also all those sensors you named i know nothing about but you dont have to have a grandiosity complex in order to explain things to me....im not stupid i just did not know the complexity of this car when i bought it ....oh well live and learn.....also someone mentioned a dry shot of nos... someone told me dry shot will hurt engine faster than a wet shot is that true?
Old 07-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Old Polish Lady Lover

the $6K from Z1 includes ALL parts and labor, and i think for an extra 500 or so they'll toss in EVERYTHING from the 60k maintenance package they recommend...all of which i already earlier posted...

i told you, i dont mean to come across as a dick...dont hate, but i made the mistake of buying a zx and getting involved in a swap before i did all my homework, and now seeing other people do it reminds me of how dumb i was and makes me pissed lol...

wish i had bought a tt...but know i wont regret it when mine's done...

dont do nitrous, i've always been against it...it's the best way to fry a motor...sure some people live by it...but thats just cause they wanna take the cheapest way out to getting fast...do things the right way, and the right way for this car is with two turbos...
Old 07-06-2005, 07:16 PM

you gotta remove so much just to the job your trying to do!....i m3ean headers are supposed to be a bitch...
Old 07-20-2005, 10:53 AM

NYX Motorsports - JDM engine

Has anyone purchase a JDM engine from NYX Motorsports? Good responses on the other items such as their 1 piece driveshaft, but nothing on the engines.

Quick Reply: How to make the N/A Faster?? swap mass merge thread