300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

My Z won't start, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 06:47 PM

My Z won't start, HELP!!!

Ok now I know this not starting thing has been around for a while but everywhere I looked nothing answered my question and I've been fighting with this thing for about 3 days. I own a 1990 300zx N/A auto and I replaced the starter and now I just get a loud clunk. It will click if I hold it out but the starter is new and is engaging, and the batter is on a charger but the second it hits the flexplate it just gets wedged on something and won't retract. The flexplate doesn't even have any damage until now. I was thinking I may need to shim the starter but I'm not sure how far or if that will even fix it., I used to own a 300zx TT but I've never had this issue before, HELP!!!
Old 05-25-2014, 07:19 PM

Welcome to ZDriver!

If you replaced your own starter, you have to warranty your own work. Sorry about that. Replacing equivalent parts usually gives a good fit. You have fit problems. Also, how is your alt/charging/battery system? Any chance your battery is not cranking out the amps you need for a cold start?

To begin, you have a copy of your Factory Service Manual (FSM) - or you can download it from XenonZ32.com Reference There are other good docs there, too. Get 'em.

Take some time to get familiar with the FSM and check out the inspection & troubleshooting sections for the stuff you want to work right. They are step-by-step, easy to follow.

Locate the diagrams for your starter setup and see if your own configuration looks right. Our Z32 guys will probably have some suggestions for you. The more clear info you can provide the better...

Be sure to post some pics of your new Z when you get the chance!

Welcome!

Last edited by zxguy1986; 05-25-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:37 PM

Agree

What brand of starter did you install ? Some non-Nissan parts can be slightly out of spec and cause all kinds of problems. Sometimes its so much easier to get a no name part at the local parts store, and ya I am guilty of that too, but sometimes it comes back to bite you in the ***. If shimming is required, I'd follow the FSM's advice and do it properly. Hopefully it hasn't caused enough addition damage to require other parts to be replaced.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:27 AM

Sorry for bothering you guys

I got a re-manufactured Ultima-Import starter from O'reilly's, I've never had a problem with their starters but I just don't know what I did wrong. I'll take another look at my installation and check for mistakes and the battery was tested and is sitting on my trickle charger. Thank you for your replies.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:26 AM

Back to square one

Ok...I put the shims in nothing, took them out and now the starter doesn't bind but still won't turn the engine over, took the starter out, the starter engages and spins fine but can't turn my flexplate...I'm lost and really need help.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:55 AM

If the starter is the right one and engaging correctly but the engine isn't turning over, you either have a 'seized' engine or you aren't getting enough cranking amps from your battery. My guess is the latter. If you have fully charged the battery but still can't crank your engine, you need a new battery. Buy or borrow one with a CCA rating higher than your Z requires and hook it up.

If your engine is 'seized,' you need to find a way to hand crank it past the seizure point. Neither problem is critical so no panic is required on your part. Relax!

Last edited by zxguy1986; 05-26-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:50 AM

Ok well I got thinking what was sketchy in the engine bay and the battery popped up so I got it tested and it failed instantly, I replaced it and the starter was unable to turn the flexplate still. I rocked the car in gear and the flexplate turned on it's own fine but the starter couldn't turn it. Gonna go get me a 1/2 inch drive and see if I can't turn it over manually and see if it's just seized up or not.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:48 PM

Progress

Ok so I started budging around and I just thought about something that I can't remember. If I turn this crankshaft pulley, will it throw me out of time or will everything be good?
Old 05-26-2014, 09:59 PM

as long as your timing belt didnt snap, you can rotate the crank as much as you want. And did the car turn over freely prior to changing the starter?
Old 05-27-2014, 10:03 AM

Welp...after fighting for two days the thing won't budge. I think I just need a bigger breaker bar because leverage is king but I don't know now.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Pasha
Welp...after fighting for two days the thing won't budge. I think I just need a bigger breaker bar because leverage is king but I don't know now.
Did the engine turn freely before the starter install?
Old 05-27-2014, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Skully
Did the engine turn freely before the starter install?
No unfortunately I'd have to say it didn't but the starter was bad anywho so I'm not really losing anything for replacing it already.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:51 AM

No unfortunately I'd have to say it didn't but the starter was bad anywho so I'm not really losing anything for replacing it already.
I would pull the spark plugs out as well, so you are not fighting the compression of the engine. Make sure the car is out of gear, maybe few drops of oil down spark plug holes wouldn't hurt. Maybe take the timing belt cover off, make sure the belt is on there. This is an interference engine, if the timing is off you could do major damage.

To edit:
I own a 1990 300zx N/A auto and I replaced the starter and now I just get a loud clunk.
You have to ask specific advice. As soon as you wrote that statement, people would generally figure that engine ran ok until you replaced the starter. Be specific and you will get better help

Cheers.

Last edited by Skully; 05-27-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:16 PM

brief History

So can you go over a brief history of the car.
1) Did it run when you got it ?
2) When was the last time it ran
3) has it been sitting a long time ?
4) was the engine ever left half assembled, like leaving the plugs out for an extended period ?

If the engine is frozen, the pistons could be rusted to the cylinder walls, You can try and pour some oil or lubricant in each plug hole and let it set a few days, note to self, don't stand next to the car with the plugs out and have someone crank it over. Unfortunately that happened to me one time, got covered in oil, was pretty funny though.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:22 AM

Dear god why...

Welp...hydrostatic lock...the motor is no longer seized but I have never in my life seen so much water come out of an engine before, the intakes, the intake plenum, the heads, water just everywhere, it was a disaster but after a quick tear down a few blasts of compressed air and a soak in pb blaster, the motor was finally freed.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:22 PM

Pasha, bad luck bro

Kinda good news kinda bad

This story gets more interesting as we go. Is there any chance the car was a featured attraction at a scuba diving course or possibly a glass bottom boat tour ? Was the water salty ? maybe it was in a flood or hurricane.

Seriously, you need to at the very least hone and re-ring it. It can't be pretty ATM. Post some pictures of the tear down if you can.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by PredatorZ
maybe it was in a flood or hurricane...
Bingo!

Hey, did you ever run a CARFAX on the VIN?

Last edited by zxguy1986; 05-29-2014 at 06:39 PM.