300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Deal of a lifetime or.... not???

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 05:59 PM

Deal of a lifetime or.... not???

I am new to the forum and I am looking at buying a Z. Looking for advice.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:59 PM

I have been looking for a red z32 TT for a long time but I just dont have 6000 to spend on a car. I look at craigslist every day just to look for the deal of a life time.

Well I found what could be a good deal but I am not sure what kind of damage I can expect. It has hit in the front right. It will need a new fender, light, and bumber. The owner said the hood is fine.

I am not so worried about the body damage. I am just not sure what components are located under the right passenger headlight.

I am going to look at the car tomorrow and I want to check it out. He said it ran and drove great before the accident but now he cant get it to start.

He is asking 1500.

130,000 miles and a manual tranny

Does this sound like a good deal?
What should I look for?
Is it super hard to find body parts?
Old 09-24-2010, 06:00 PM

Old 09-24-2010, 06:00 PM

Old 09-24-2010, 06:02 PM

Old 09-24-2010, 06:02 PM

Old 09-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

parts still available for the z32 thru the dealer. you'll need to have the frame checked to see if it is bent. control arms may be bent and will affect your suspension. if it won't start any more BEWARE. may be simple may be not. if you aren't an experienced wrench the z32 is not a good car to start learning on. they are complicated compared to earlier z's. I wouldn't trust the po on the non bent hood. 1500 is a pretty good price but the body parts alone probably run you 8-9 hundred. had to buy a fender for mine $250. at 130 K TT seem to start having turbo problems but depends how hard it was driven. if you are a good mechanic and you can afford to blow 1500 if you can't get it right. go for it.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the quick response already. I am pretty mechanical, although I have never worked on a z32 before. I have been mostly into hondas and jeeps which are pretty easy to work on.

I have also done my fair share of body work so I am not worried too much about that. The thing I am most worried about is that I have never had any cars that were boosted...

I am hoping the frame and control arms are not bent. I am pretty sure it will need a new radiator core support.

Does anyone know if z32 non turbo parts are compatible (body parts) because there are a bunch of people parting them out on craigslist (but they are all not turbo)
Old 09-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

2+0 non-turbo parts (and 2+2 front-half parts) swap onto a Twin Turbo.

Regarding working on 300ZXs, read this If your background is cars that are considered simple to work on, you're in for a real gut-check with the Z32. Most involved tasks require an engine pull.

As for what to look for, there are writeups on TwinTurbo.NET detailing exactly that. The list is long, but most of it is the same stuff you'd check on every car. Also, expect to replace fuel injectors annually until you upgrade to the new-style pintle-less injectors (search for more info on that). Do a [url=http://twinturbo.net/nissan/300zx/FAQ/FAQpages/compression.html]compression[/url[ and leakdown test if you have the means, and test the resistance of the injectors if you have a multimeter (should be 10-14 ohms - if not, you'll need to replace those injectors).

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 09-24-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:45 AM
Tough Guy

I read that article and maybe its just becuase ive had a z for almost 12 years now, i dont see it as being that difficult to work on any more. Does it suck compared to my jeep, f yeah, but i think ive gotten the jist of it.

Definitely wouldnt be the first car id want to work after only working on jeeps and hondas though.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:52 AM

Bump for pictures of the car. Let me know how bad you think the accident is and what could be damaged turbo wise in that area.

I dont want people to think that I am an idiot when it comes to cars. I have mostly worked on jeeps and honda because i own them. I have worked on many other things too.

Rebuilt bottom end 1985 chevy truck
Clutch on a 1997 honda prelude
Timing belt 1997 honda prelude
Changed out axles on jeeps
Put lots of lift kits on jeeps/ 4runner

I have done tons of the little stuff like A/C compressor, alternator, p/s pump, gear box, and many other little things on lots of different cars. I even worked at a mechanic shop for a while back in high school.

Rebuilt the whole front end (body wise) on a 2001 4runner (bumper hood both fenders, lights, grill) pretty much the whol front end. Oh and I did all the painting myself. I have all of the paint stuff.

I do not consider myself a mechanic but I know my way around a car. I have always wanted a 300zx but after these last few comments I am a little worried. I dont have the money for a mechanic so i will be doing all of the work myself. It sounds like everyone is telling me to stay away from the one car I want t buy.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

Its gonna need a lot of body parts.

But there is a lot of wires the run under that fender back into the car to start with, the other is it looks like it smashed up the intercooler on that side and probably the piping as well.

I say its fixable but not to cheap. but that depends on what damaged under whats left of the fascia.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:09 PM

what a horrible day...

I talked with the guy before he went to work last night. I wanted to go get it yesterday night but he told me that there was no way to get it. He was going to be working late and he told me to come by early in the morning. Well he was about 2 hours from my house so I started off early because I had an errand to make on the way.

To make a long story short... he sold the car yesterday while he was at work. Someone else convinced him to let them come by and pick it up while he was working...

well i guess i should just go back to checking craigslist.... wish me luck. Hopefully I can find an even better deal
Old 09-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Tough Guy

Its better that way dude.

Ive rebuilt two jeeps. One from the inside out over the winter. Id rather work on a jeep when its cold out then my Z when its warm out, so dont feel too bad about losing out on it.