300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Building a VG30DE? Suggestions Please?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 08:49 PM

Building a VG30DE? Suggestions Please?

Ok... So I'm new to this site. And this is my first time owning a Z32 Period. Please do me yet another favor tho. I do not wish to be told i shouldn't build a VG30DE. Or that i should do some swap. Or drop a V8 in the thing. That's not my style. I'm really diggin the VG for some reason. I like the vibe if that makes any sense. And another thing to get out of the way. All the work done to this vehicle will be done by me. I have fab exp, swaps, building, custom instals, drivetrain, ext... ext.. I'm looking at a 4 grand budget to put in the engine alone. ( I know.. Don't just build the engine. Build the tranny. Another post for another time. ) Some personally prefrences. I'd love to be able to drift this car. I mean. I've done some upgrades and i can get it loose. Just not the way i wish too. I'd prefer to keep the car N/A. But if i have to then oh well. Everyone i know belives for some reason if it's not boosted it's not worth fooling with. And i just like proving people other wise. Hope this can give you a general idea of what I'm looking for and what i wish to do with it. If you need any other information, please don't hesitate to ask! I look forward to hearing the Zdriver Communitys response on this post. The sooner the better. Means i can start my build. lol.

I know i should just research some one else's build. But I'd Rather take all of the ideas we can bring together and make a one of a kind engine that can still keep me a happy person. And possibly put some people in there place. lol

PS: This build got started by a dude with a 92 Mustang, 4 Banger..Turboed. Haven't put me and the Z against it yet. I need a new heart atm. He just likes to run his mouth. And it's finally gotten really old. So everyone who has actually read ALLLLLL the way down to this point. Your my new bestfriend. Or just a really bored person behind a computer. Either way. I give ya props. During this build i will have continuously update photos of everything that goes on. So please keep a eye up for it and let me know what you guys think. I have some custom ideas for the rear hatch (Lighting, speaker box's, and some other ideas. If anyone likes them. PM me and i can make some more. Thanks. Have a great one!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

lol...

You know it's gonna be a good thread when someone comes in saying "don't tell me what the right things to do is, I don't want to do the right thing, I want to do some backasswards thing that is going to cost a lot more and achieve a lot less."

Sorry... Twin Turbo swap or bust. Your non-turbo will never make more than 300rwhp without nitrous while remaining streetable. (The only 300+rwhp VG30DE is a drag car and has individual throttle bodies and no air filters, along with a multi-thousand dollar build... a TT can hit 340+rwhp with a little over $1000 invested.) Your NA will also never make enough power to damage the transmission, which, if manual, is extremely robust.

And lol @ building any car for the purpose of racing any other car.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 08-09-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:21 PM

I did mention I'll boost if it comes to it. I was asking for an option to build it without the Boost. But thanks for clearing that up. lol. and we all have our reasons for building things. Me personally i love my car the way it is. But it currently can't out run this other vehicle. And i want it to be able to. So there for the build. So if we could go back to the build of this vg, that would be amazing imo..
Old 08-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Ruff Ryder

You want N/A power, throw a vh45, ls1/2 in it.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:33 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Garry Knight
I did mention I'll boost if it comes to it. I was asking for an option to build it without the Boost. But thanks for clearing that up. lol. and we all have our reasons for building things. Me personally i love my car the way it is. But it currently can't out run this other vehicle. And i want it to be able to. So there for the build. So if we could go back to the build of this vg, that would be amazing imo..
Welcome to ZDriver! You took that quite well. Usually after ZLover gives a dose of reality, people say "I hate everybody and I'm never coming back!".

Originally Posted by Garry Knight
I'm really diggin the VG for some reason.
If you dig the VG30DE... then you'd dig the VG30DETT a lot more.

We have a monster "how to make my n/a faster" thread, that gets pretty depressing for those who are looking for a high hp VG30DE.

Click: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-tech-tips-273/how-make-n-faster-swap-mass-merge-thread-658/
Old 08-10-2011, 07:52 PM

Thanks, I'll diff check it out. See if it can be tweeked at all.. lol. <- love to tweek. But yea. It's just good criticism. If you can't handle that. You shouldn't be a car lover. But that's just me. lol. I'm here and i think i'll stay.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

You can get a TT front clip for a few thousand from Z1 Motorsports or Concept Z Performance... comes with everything needed for a conversion. The VG30DETT is VERY mod friendly, so once that motor is in there, you'll have no problem making the power you want. My previous two 300ZX's both dynoed over 430rwhp on stock internals and pump fuel.