300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Help me please new owner stuck !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 02:27 PM

Unhappy Help me please new owner stuck !!!!!

GUYS IM READY TO THROW A BATTERY THREW MY WINDSHIELD,
I PICKED UP A 1986 MINT CONDITION 300ZX , I ALWAYS BEEN A AMERICAN MUSCLE GUY ,BUT I ALWAYS HAD AN ITCH FOR Zs.. CAR IS A NEW ENGLAND CAR WITH LIL TO NO ROT WHICH IS RARE. IM A FOXBODY MUSTANG GUY BUT THE PRICE ON THIS WAS INCREDIBLE .. SO I TRAILER IT 2 HOURS HOME HAPPIER THAN A PIG IN **** . IT HAS A FEW PROBS HEADLIGHTS STUCK OPEN AND WHEN I WENT TO CRANK IT IT STARTED THEN DIED , I JUMPED IT CAR STARTED AND DIED ,, IM LIKE NICE ,, NEW ALT NEW BATTERY I GOT MY SELF A MINTIE MINTIE Z , INTERIOR IS AWESOME IT EVEN HAS ORGINAL SPARE AND TOOL KIT.. A FEW DENTS ON FENDER AND MISSING DRIVER SIDE SIDE MARKER. WELL I GET HOME I BUY A NEW BAT ,NEW ALT ALL THE BELTS.. I CHANGE EVERYTHING OUT WITH MY HUGE HANDS IN THEM TIGHT SPACES , I CRANK IT ,IT STARTS FOR A SECOND THEN DIES.. IM LIKE HMM OK FUEL PUMP FUSE IS GOOD.. I TRYED TO HOT WIRE THE PUMP BUT COULDNT FIGURE OUT THE RIGHT PRONG OMN FUEL PUMP PLUG . DONT WANNA SPLICE WIRES I WANNA RESTORE THE CAR. WELL I FINNALY LOCATE THE FUEL PUMP RELAY , GO THRO THE HAZZLE OF SWAPING IT OUT , IM SURE U GUYS KNOW WHERE IT IS .. AND AGAIN IT STARTED ONCE AND DIED AND IT NEVER CRANKS AGAIN , I NEVER HEAR THE PUMP PRIMING AFTER MY INITIAL START...BEFORE I GO GET A 250 $ FUEL PUMP ON THIS , CAN ANYONE HELP ME ,MAYBE TELL ME WHERE THE GROUNDS FOR THIS CAR ARE OR IF U EXPIERIENCED SAME ISSUE.. IS DEF NOT THE REGULATOR CAUSE I GET AN INITIAL CRANK.. ... ... PLEASE HELP YOU CAN EVEN TEXT ME IF YOU WANT EMAIL ME CALLL ME .. IM LOOSING MY MIND HERE....... SORRY FOR SUCH LONG RANT I JUST SPENT HOURS AND GOT NO PROGRESS...
THANK YOU
ANY INPUT IS APPRECIATED,, SEB 401 935 2172 PHONE
EMAIL SEBRUSSO973@YAHOO.COM..:08 8:
Old 02-19-2013, 03:31 PM
The Good Twin

Did you read my welcome PM? Download the FSM for free from XenonZ31 Reference and all your wildest dreams will come true (not really... but it IS really easy to solve problems when you have the FSM in front of you).
Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 PM

THANKS . no i didnt read anything yet, i just returned from garage , i get on crank fuel pump primes,, then after that i get no more cranks with pump priming, cranking system work so is not the anit thef relay,i put a new fuel filter on ..still same thin one crank pryme ...shoot me.. i im gonna trace the grounds if is not that, then im buying a new pump.
thanks im not savvy on navigate your site , how do i read pms?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

you should read up on the pump before you buy a new one. put a pressure gage on the system. if you are getting initial pressure then pump is okay. Have you only had carbureted autos before this????
Old 02-20-2013, 02:59 AM

Unhappy

My automotive Knowledge is extensive in HIGH performance ,i Build Mustangs , i have 1990 notch 306 small stroker single turbo originally a 4 cyl car , v 8 converted . i made my own wire harness i ripped that whole car apart and started from scratch, yes built chevy 350 with carburators ,396,454 .. 351ws, you name it, im new to the z it took me 2 days to figure where the fuel pump relay was located .. see what im saying, i joined the forum to nip this in the bud...i figured someone here went throw what i going throw. i know my pump gotta be ok if im getting at least a prime out of initially.. it has nothing to do with pressure . is either a ground or the car has another relay thats bad ,or a chewd up or wet wire somewhere????.but i dont know the car and is so pretty i hate to start ripping up carpets inner quarter plastic panels brake the clips the interiror is so pretty electric seats and all ..maybe one relay to kick in the pump to prime feed pressure to the rails and injectors another to keep that pump running after start?? .. idk im pulling pump out today they are easy acess im gonna hoook it to 12 v see how is running ,, if not then im in for chasing bad grounds ..consider i work ALONE dont know one person in the area .
if anyone has any diagrams ,schematics for this car please email me, i ordered a chiltons from amazon is coming in 4 days.. if this is gonna be trouble ,i have a acess to a LT1 WITH A TURBO 350 sitting around, i really dont wanna go that route is such a pretty car i wanna restore back to original ,, is so close to it needs very lil work..
sorry for the long rant, just fraustrated if my chiltons can arrive sooner.
please feel free to call me or if u have any diagrams schematics or any info u can either take a picture on phone and send to me do please..
Old 02-20-2013, 03:03 AM

i download that 1986 fms , is not showing me jack ****. a few diagrams is hard to read cause is on adobe i might have to print it all out ..
Old 02-20-2013, 03:21 AM
Stupid Hurricanes...

fuel, spark, and air verfiy that you have these 3 then it might be easier to troubleshoot. Fuel pump is inside the tank and is not the easiet thing to get around. Would make sure that it is dead before replacing. Little more info on the z would be apperciated. How long has it been sitting?

Last edited by 260zturbo; 02-20-2013 at 03:26 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:05 AM

previuous owner had it sitting for a few months since it died on him, he jumped the day before i bought it ,went around the block car died on him, no crank ..alt.. then he jumped the car started for a few seconds then died, i towed the car to my house , new bat new alt car started for a few seconds fuel pump primes intermitent when it wants it .. i seen access to fuel pump by the rear hatch,, which means no dropping tanks,, thats gravy to me , im used to mustangs u gotta drop the tanks .there is cap with 2 big phillip screws where the pump goes, also there is a light by radio that says gas,, that light lights up , im not worried about pressure, my deal is that the pump primes went it wants too.. pumps either work or not, i dont ever recall them just startting to crap out ,maybe jap cars are different but from lookin at these pumps same thing as any fuel injected pump ..how manny fuel pump releays do these cars have ? also the anti theif relay ..if it was bad car wouldnt crank at all..?
Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 PM

anyone? ok .. bad ground chasing it is..
Old 02-20-2013, 03:38 PM

pull relay out and plug it back in , and i get it to prime.. hmmm
Old 02-20-2013, 03:39 PM

anyone anyone.. ok no help what happend to the wizards z experts here ???
Old 02-21-2013, 03:28 AM

Unhappy 86 fuel pump intermitent Nissan experts Thanks forum !!!

Seriously most of you guys been playing with these things ripping them apart .
i have a issue and i get no support on it , which leads me to believe there is no experts here cause. if there was any i woulda got an answer asap with some support. come one guys this is what you do , nobody can land an experienced opinion..if u ask me any tech questions about the foxbody mustang i can detail that car in and out i brake down the ecu in pins to your wire harness by colors , and numbers , spec out the car better than the haynes manual, put it back together blind folded .cause thats what i do!
Well my issue stills continues , fuel pump primes on initial start if i pull relay in and put it back i get the fuel pump to prime every time.
so ill do what i do best alone find the problem.. i dont have a ****in scanner i guess i can by a probe.
im good with a test light and voltmeters..
gonna voltage drop the fuel pump system ,ill find the problem cause none of you clowns would even know to even lead towardss the right directions,this tech forum stinks sorry to say it..and just like what i didnt wanna do tear up that nice interiroo i already lost a few clips busted some more...
Old 02-21-2013, 03:30 AM

129 views and 3 people tried helping me. lol thanks a lot fellows
Old 02-21-2013, 07:49 AM
The Good Twin

#1: Your posts are quite messy and hard to understand (a lot of rambling). It takes reading your posts several times to get what you are saying.

#2: 129 thread views means nothing. Mostly Google Bots collecting data for Google searches.

#3: The Z31 has 1 fuel pump relay, which is ground controlled by the ecu. So if the fuel pump relay isn't getting power, it's either a burnt fusible link, or toasted ecu. You can just disconnect the fuel pump harness from the hatch area and run a test power wire to it from the battery, and a ground. That way you can start the car with the fuel pump continually running.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 AM

fuel pump complete dead now.. can u remove pump from hatch, im trying to remove unit ..my relays click they are getting power . i guess i was seeing first signs of a dying pump. trying to jump the pump which hardness is it i get a blue taped on and a red.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:59 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by 1990Boosted5.0
which hardness is it i get a blue taped on and a red.
I have no idea what you are saying here... please proof read your posts.

As has already been stated:

Originally Posted by 260zturbo
Fuel pump is inside the tank and is not the easiet thing to get around.
First Google search result for Z31 fuel pump removal:

So you want more fuel? :: Z31 300ZX Performance fuel options

Old 02-21-2013, 05:35 PM

NOPE... thank you .. LT1 is coming out of the t.a on sat.. going in the in the z, tried your japanese classic im guessing ill stick to what i know ,thanx..
ill chevy power it thanx have a good nite..
Old 02-21-2013, 05:53 PM

FWIW... you're punting on a fun car to drive. You went from elation to giving up in only 2 days (at least by the dates on your posts). The fuel pump does require dropping the gas tank - the access you see is for the fuel gauge sending unit. I'm about to tackle both, so hoping it doesn't get too bad. If you do decide to work on it, the Chilton manual is junk. FSM isn't great, but its diagrams and part info are good.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

this guy is just a blowhard going on about all his chevy mustang nonsense. real car guys don't brag on how much they know about other cars than the one on the forum. which since he couldn't figure it out means he didn't know much to begin with.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:18 AM

@Rodgerz .. Yes i was fraustrated because i asked for help and it took me being an ******* to get a respond, by the time nismoz replied with the walbro pump install , which i thank him for it @ nizmo thats the same pump i have in my notch along with a inline holley 255... I already had the tank down stock fuel pump bench tested, voltage drop on the on the hot side and the cold side . i found a corroded wire that goes from the relay to fuel pump i also found broken glass all over the underneath the hatch pad. which led me to believe the car being under a bit of weather in the past . a lil bit of wiring had the car running , but due to looking at rear main seal leaks, steering rack leaks . i dont know how good that timing belt is .how long before this belt snaps bend my valves.
. i have to drop exhaust to fix frame rails due to bad lifting .por 15 undercarriage . so if im dropping tranny to do rear main, im pulling complete motor out , also doing the timing belt replacing the steering rack . is cheaper for me to order a 5.7 vortec to carb conversion intake from summit , put a 4 barrel on it have more reliablity, i can fab me the mounts. I HAVE 2 MOTORS AVAILABLE IN MY YARD.
@wbnethery3 pump is a piece of cake just watch the sending unit wires, they are solder , i ripped one and i had to solder it back on.
SORRY I HAD TO BE A DICK TO GET A RESPOND BUT IT WORKED. THANKS MY PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED. THANKS FOR THE ONES WHO GAVE ME POSITIVE IMPUT.