Go Back  ZDriver.com > Cars > 300ZX (Z31) Forums > 300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical
Difference between a Digital vs. Analog Fuel Sending Unit >

Difference between a Digital vs. Analog Fuel Sending Unit

300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Difference between a Digital vs. Analog Fuel Sending Unit

Old 02-16-2019, 12:09 PM
DGS

Question Difference between a Digital vs. Analog Fuel Sending Unit

I replaced my 1985 Analog 300zx fuel sending unit with the updated new design (see attached pictures).
All working fine.
The question I have is for another 300zx owner who approached me about his fuel sending unit.
So we need help to figure out how to differentiate between a Digital FSU and a Analog FSU without the donor car present.
Any one has experience how to differentiate between Original Digital FSU or Original Analog FSU ?
Is there an actual visible difference between an original Digital and Analog FSU?

We were going to purchase an used original one, the seller had 2 of them, he told us one is from a 300zx with Digital Dash but does not know which one is which.
We compared both of them to my old original FSU and could not see any difference at all between any of them.
The only difference we could see is one had a black harness, the other has a white harness, my original one has a black harness.

The seller could not tell us but supposedly the digital unit has a silver box next to the connector of the fuel sending unit.
It is Digital If there is a silver box 2506517p15 when the rear carpet/mat is removed on the right side (passenger side) approximately 8 inches from the FSU. Supposedly if there is a silver box with the number 2506517p15 it is a digital fuel gauge.
Analog dash cars don't have the silver box.
This silver box is an FSU Adapter for Digital Dash.

I have read that some have used the same sending unit on both Digital and Analog and it worked fine because the silver box with the number 2506517p15 is the one doing the digital conversion. Is this actually true?

I read "This box is what converts the analog signal from the sender to digital for the GLL dash, though strangely not all digital Z's seemed to have it."

New sending unit

My Original Analog Sending Unit.

My New Fuel Sender Unit Installed

Any one has experience how to differentiate between Original Digital or Analog FSU ?
Thank you
Old 03-27-2019, 04:50 PM

The digital unit has a white sheath covering the wires, Analog is black as in the picture.

There is a 2 float unit to replace the foam floater if you can find it, it too has white sheathing covering the wire. I accidently ran up on one on Ebay, immediately grabbed it and ended my fuel level problems. Very hard to find a working OEM unit. Got several.

I am using the same converter box with the 2 float unit that was connected to the original float unit. Works perfect.

Last edited by macanic; 03-27-2019 at 04:52 PM.