300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

'86 300ZX turbo frustrating missing, pulling andlost of power below 2000RPM

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 08:53 PM

Angry '86 300ZX turbo frustrating missing, pulling andlost of power below 2000RPM

Well I bought it from the original owner that keep it in very good running condition, now is mechanical thing that our mechanic can't find. the car starts well in the morning, and it does not shut down however it starts to miss like is running out of gas and it has no power. I tried to accelerate but it miss like is going to shut down but it doesn't. Another important point is that I applied pressure to the fuel line located by the fuel filter and found it full but with a pumping effect much like a hydraulic hose under pressure. I also replaced the EGR vacuum valve solenoid because there was no vacuum pressure, other than that I haven't done anything else. I downloaded the manual from Xenon and I found a Hines manual in order to educate myself but expert advice from some of you will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

so this:
Get your battery load tested. Be sure you have clean, tight corrosion free terminals on both ends of your battery cables. Be sure the ground (negative) cable goes to a bolt into the frame before going to the starter. grounding through the starter is not a reliable connection. Z's don't like low voltage. causes the electronics to act funny. it is possible to have enough amps to crank but not enough voltage to run the electronics. If you have one size fit all cheapo clamp on terminals they are a problem waiting to happen.

Clean the connectors for the maf or afm, ecu and tps. Deoxit by CAIG is probably the best connector cleaner on the market. spray with CorrosionX after cleaning and before putting together this will help prevent any further corrosion.

and check your fuel pressure with a gage! Also check for vacuum leaks again with a gage.

The other two likely causes are a bad chts or bad 02 sensor. cheap enough to just replace both if you can't test them according to the manual.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:12 PM

thank you Rogerz, I will work on all this remedies this weekend. Just one more thing, when I conducted a test of the fuel pressure hose I felt that the hose as well as the fuel filter felt like a pumping hydraulic hose under pressure when the car was running. It felt weird so I replaced the fuel filter today but the pressure continued so is the main problem. Does this pumping feel makes any sense to you?
Old 09-25-2013, 10:32 PM

I have pulsing on my 84 turbo, I also changed the fuel filter because I bought the car and was just doing maintenance and it still pulses, I believe this is normal, if not let me know lol. my car will run fine other than a high idle issue
Old 09-26-2013, 05:07 PM
ndj

-Is it ok once its warmed up? = yes, replace chts and subharness. This is the result of a failed enrichment process that should take place during the cold start. Its a lean condition the engine is experiencing that you feel like is a miss. This can sometimes be solved after several restarts on a cold morning or using very very little starting fluid.

Last edited by ndj; 09-26-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:44 AM

Thank you Rogerz,Cords z31 and NDJ for your advice. If there is anything else that you may want to share with me please do. Thanks to your input I was able to troubleshoot part of the problem and the car is running better, in fact I was able to drive it today to work and climbed a big hill, but still have some missing along the way. So far I got the battery tested in three different locations and it checks out ok, I was able to clean up the maf, ecu and tps. All vacuum hoses are fine and there is no sign of vacuum loss.
Becuase I cant test some of the sensors I ordered the chts and O2sensors like Rogerz suggested. I feel that the fuel pump is not working properly and I can hear the sound of the fuel pump therefore I ordered one from 300zxpartsforyou.com/. Now has anyone experienced a clogged fuel line before? Will that be a recommended step before replacing the fuel pump?