300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

VG30DETT Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 03:25 PM

Well kase maybe the problem is the fact that people on this forum feel it's a waste of time repeating themselves answering a question. Also it seems that most of the people on this forum enjoy the feeling they get from belittling people way more than the feeling a person gets from helping out another person. Is it really so much of a pain in the *** to repeat your self helping someone out that it's more worth your time talking **** and looking like an *******? Really? The fact of the matter is more people than not are going to ask instead of search so don't you think it would be easier to just share what you know and help someone out then be ******* about it? For people finding this sight for the first time the way you people treat other members doesn't make this sight seem to inviting... But maybe that's what you guys are going for... I could be entirely wrong in my assumption on how a forum is supposed to work... Maybe you guys are right... Maybe a forum is a place where people come to get into arguments and be alienated by senior members for a lack of knowledge... Maybe a forum ISNT a place for people to come to share ideas and projects or get help for things. I apologize for my ignorance on this matter. If This place is an "archive" like you say why don't you just take the forum part out of the equasion? That way you wouldn't have to worry about repeat questions. Or maybe you could group FAQs together and make it easier to find specific info about shut because honestly who wants to spend hours sifting through 20 bullshit threads before finding that one answer your looking for?

As far as what Nismo was saying no I haven't been to those forums but if you say they are worse than this one I can't imagine many other people I would enjoy conversing with have visited them either so thanks for the warning
Old 03-05-2009, 03:34 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by akz31
As far as what Nismo was saying no I haven't been to those forums but if you say they are worse than this one I can't imagine many other people I would enjoy conversing with have visited them either so thanks for the warning
You should check them out. ZDriver is about the most lenient / chill Z forum on the intrawebs. We don't make new members read the rules before posting, or banish their ideas to the tool shed. We've also created a Tech Area for MANY MANY common questions / topics. Without fail someone will always come straight in asking a beat to death topic... so we guide them to the info... then it's up to them to partake, or reject.

I do agree that I / we can be harsh sometimes... but us daily users also don't want ZDriver to become playground full of 15 year olds trying to figure out how to install an AutoZone cold air intake (Not referring to the OP at all).
Old 03-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Pr0n Addict

^^ WOOT

well, here's a challenge for you. how about mr. akz31 hangs out for a couple weeks and answers all the questions that have already been answered, and sees how long it takes until he tells someone to search? i thought along the same lines at first, but after a few months i also was just saying "search". it's not that bad.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:01 PM

I think this is a great forum don't get me wrong lol I have found many answers to many questions here. I just find it discouraging that a lot of people on this site feel the need to talk **** to people about how much they know and what they are trying to do. It's a shame that the people that could help the most can't be bothered to help.

Just let me say out of all the posts I read through ( I was actually interested in finding some deffinate info in all those links you posted lol i went through most of them) you were pretty much the most helpfull person in the posts you posted In Nismo.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:23 PM

Lol kase I'm no were near smart enough to answer everyones questions.

I'm not against suggesting or asking someone to search that's not my issue it's the fact that 9 times out of 10 people take the time to be an ******* to someone as apposed to helping. Instead of coming across like a kind person suggesting a search ( like Nismo) most other people seem to have this "**** off and look on your own" adittude, which sucks. Instead of just ignoring the post those people offer smart *** remarks and un-kind critisism
Old 03-05-2009, 04:26 PM

Lol kase I'm no were near smart enough to answer everyones questions.

I'm not against suggesting or asking someone to search that's not my issue it's the fact that 9 times out of 10 people take the time to be an ******* to someone as apposed to helping. Instead of coming across like a kind person suggesting a search ( like Nismo) most other people seem to have this "**** off and look on your own" adittude, which sucks. Instead of just ignoring the post those people offer smart *** remarks and un-kind critisism
Old 03-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Pr0n Addict

i don't know why i'm continuing this. this is my last post here.

nobody was being an a-hole at all in the least bit until the OP basiacally said "im not here to search, i'm here to get first hand advise". so if you're not opposed to people being asked to search, and you agree that the question was even answered in this very thread, what sir, is your problem with how it was handled?

there were some mildly rude/superiorly toned responses AFTER he said that he was not interested in searching. tell me how that is a reasonable response to being advised that searching is a good method to find out answers to questions like this, even AFTER it was answered.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Anally Challenged

I don't have a dog in this fight being an outsider myself but I wonder if the regular posters here would answer followup questions after the OP did some research. Another point is...are you guys really that busy anyway? This board is not really fast moving, is it? Granted, the question has been asked many times but there are obviously some inconsistencies going on here. Last week a poster asked what he should do to his new 280zx and got adequate answers on what the priorities should be. Next thing you know he is posting about buying "rims" and a "turbo kit." That is the type of thing that should be annoying you. Doesn't really matter much to me what the clique (if it exists) does. There is nothing here that is really impressive technically. It seems like more of a chat board than anything.
BTW the Cool Hand Luke sig is pretty cool.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:56 PM

kas I've been a member of this forum for a little while I'm not just talking about this post this forum is filled with threads full of the kind of stuff I'm talking about.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Pr0n Addict

thanks for the sig comp!
Old 03-05-2009, 07:10 PM
The Good Twin

Well now that was a fun detour. Anyone else have info on the VG30DETT Z31 swap?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:57 PM

ok well i took the time to search for any possible step by step information.
this is what i found after 30 seconds of searching on youtube. the swap apparently isn't as hard as it seems and the engine itself will just drop right in from what i understood.
here are the links to the videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfHPbJQK2J8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QmW6ArEx88

hope this helps. but next time just try searching first,then asking questions. it will save you from getting attacked by everyone and it really isn't that bad.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:54 PM

I have changed my 86 z31 na auto to the vg30dett 5 spd. right now I'm at the wiring which I believe will be the hardest part.I had to make a trans cross member and re-drill the engine cross member, also the driveshaft has to be longer. Pretty much every thing has to be fitted which really isn't to bad.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:38 AM

I've put a dett in my z31,Ive still got a lot of work but it's bolted in and running