300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

VG30DETT Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 05:37 PM

VG30DETT Swap

i came upon a VG30DETT with 40xxx miles for a grand, also with tranny and ecu. Will this motor fit in the Z31?
Old 02-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Pr0n Addict

i've seen an mg midget with a V-8 in it. it will fit.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:52 PM

haha, ok gotcha..
Old 02-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Pr0n Addict

i didn't say it would be easy though. i just know it will fit.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:14 PM
The Good Twin

Is that darn search button not working again?

Oh... here we go.

https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showth...light=vg30dett

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/showt...light=VG30DETT

Old 02-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Is that darn search button not working again?
you do realize that thing has never worked, its just an urban legend
Old 02-24-2009, 07:35 PM

i've seen that swap once or twice. you will surprisingly have a lot more room than expected. not from side to side as much, but overall. as far as easy. not sure
Old 02-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

why? or do you just wanna say i have some little TT
Old 02-25-2009, 05:37 AM

id rather have personal feedback than to search the hole net for someone else thread..anyways, i hate searching. So..as far as rear end, it will be like anything else, plenty of modification correct?
Old 02-25-2009, 05:54 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by jrealmuto1
i hate searching.
We can only help you, if you can help yourself (Remember that famous Jerry Mcguire quote: HELP ME HELP YOU! HELP ME HELP YOU!). I did your "searching" for you. Did you click on any of the links I posted? I hope my time wasn't spent in vain for you.

Anyway, have you ever done a motor swap before? If yes, do you know how to fab custom parts, such as motor mounts, adapters, various electrical connections, drivelines, etc? Do you have experience with wiring?
Old 02-25-2009, 08:58 AM
Pr0n Addict

asking every one on a forum to lay all the info out again for you, after they've obviously gone through it before, instead of just reading the old threads that they point you to, is really a lot to ask. if that's what everyone expected, nobody would have any interest in frequenting forums to help people.

to give a bit of info that may be able to help..... as far as the rear, i'd say that you should be fine for test runs and the like on the stock rear. after the engine swap is done, then you could worry about maybe going to a z32 or other rear, and some stiffer suspension.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:06 AM
The Evil Twin

id rather have personal feedback than to search the hole net for someone else thread..anyways, i hate searching
With that attitude you're on your way to getting banned from this and every other automotive forum. Search or get off the net!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old 02-25-2009, 09:42 AM
The Good Twin

i hate searching.
Technically, just asking your question is searching (for an answer)... quite an oxi-moron wouldn't you say?

You managed to use the web, locate this site, sign up, and post questions... but that damn last step of "searching" is just too much!

Last edited by NismoPick; 02-25-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Stupid Hurricanes...

how about you do the swap and tell us about it. we obviously aren't up to your standards
Old 02-25-2009, 04:15 PM

so i take it everyone else can be smart towards me because you have money growing from a tree..could care less if you banned me, all i was doing was asking a simple question and all i get is a smart remark. its whatever.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:17 PM

and yes thank you nismo for your time for helping me find links to what i needed to know, and if im not banned , i will let you know if i do the swap.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:23 PM
The Good Twin

You're not going to be banned. And by all means we can and will help you any way possible... we just want you to be able to help yourself too.

Nuff bout all that. VG30DETT FTW!
Old 02-25-2009, 06:22 PM
The Evil Twin

so i take it everyone else can be smart towards me because you have money growing from a tree..
Instructing you to search is not being smart with you. Money has nothing to do with your attitude about not wanting to search. The search function is free.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:03 PM

Location: I'm located in the more southern local... Jackson, MS.
OP- You really should listen to Nizmopick. He's right about back-reading the obvious data that's posted. A VG30DETT swap is a LOT harder than you think it is. requires firewall mods, motor mount fabrication, "k member" engine cross member modification and fabrication and not to mention modification to the fender wells as well. Little known is a VG30DET that's much better suited to the Z31 chassis. Try looking into that!

BTW....What part of Mississippi are you from?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:53 PM

LOL this is the only forum I've ever been to that people will waste more time chastising someone for asking a question than they actually would helping them out like Nismo did. A lot of people on this forum seem kind kind of stuck up and it's just kind of sad that instead of just willingly helping a fellow enthusiast out u **** them off.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:43 PM

I just looked through most of the posts you offered up Nismo and all I found was people asking questions and no one willng to directly answer them. I did see a lot of you folks cutting people down and being complete jackasses to people you don't even know. This forum just seems to be some kind of clique where only familiar people are treated like people. If someone comes on here asking questions trying to learn things they don't know you just talk **** about that persons lack of knowledge. It's also very sad that the person that seems to know the most about these cars is generally the biggest ******* to people. A-Z you are a very knowledgable person when it comes to these cars but when it comes to emparting that knowledge on people that could benefit you just come off like an *******. I am a member of many automotive forums and in everyone anytime I have ever seen a question asked multiple times I see other members eagerly and willingly repeating an answer. It really sucks that this forum is filled with people that seem to look down on those that know less and ask questions.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Pr0n Addict

Originally Posted by KasbeKZ
i've seen an mg midget with a V-8 in it. it will fit.

how is this not helpful? stop saying nismo was the only helpful one. i gave a great answer. the question was a "yes or no" question and i said yes.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Pr0n Addict

Originally Posted by akz31
This forum just seems to be some kind of clique where only familiar people are treated like people. If someone comes on here asking questions trying to learn things they don't know you just talk **** about that persons lack of knowledge.

no, i'm very familiar and people still talk harshly to me if i give a bad answer. i usually don't use this line but that's really just part of life.

and a list of 6 links that thoroughly answer the question means that the question is answered. so from there on out, nobody had an obligation to answer the question. and it's completely reasonable to ask users to search when there is a database of answered questions available such as zdriver's. we are not the only forum that does that. try asking a question like that on tt.net. and you think this was bad. so stop the whining. and, on top of that, search for where this convo has already been had with 30 people that didn't want to search.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:54 PM
The Good Twin

Apparently akz31 has never been to Hybridz, or ZCar..... "You didn't search?!?!? BANNED!!!"

Last edited by NismoPick; 03-05-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Pr0n Addict

lol true. zcar is another one that's worse about it. they are right up there with tt.net

Quick Reply: VG30DETT Swap