300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Heater Water Cock Electrical Sensor

Old 08-29-2015, 04:45 PM

Heater Water **** Electrical Sensor

Hi,

I bought a replacement watercock/vacuum solenoid for my 85 Turbo w/ auto climate control. The original one had the plastic fitting that goes from the bottom of the valve to the hose through the firewall break when the car overheated, and does not appear to be repairable. The original one has a sesnor on the top that appears to be some sort of temperature sensor. The original part, #27738-01P00 does not appear to be available online anymore, and I was told that it was superseded by part # 92230-22P00.

I bought one of these, but it does not have this sensor, and it doesn't look like I can install one in it.

My question is what is the purpose of this sensor? Is it just for the auto climate control? Does anyone know of a part # that is still available that has this sensor?

Thank you for any help
Old 08-30-2015, 09:47 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

if you are talking about the black thing on top of the valve it senses fluid temp and tells the vacuum reservoir at the front to send vacuum to the valve. when no vac you get full flow of hot coolant and can make the car uncomfortable in summer. Why do you think the coolant flow valve has anything to do with the car overheating. If you overheat the coolant gets blown out and into the expansion tank and winds up on the ground. fairly obvious. are talking about the hose that takes the coolant to the heater coil in the car? when you ordered it did you specify you had the auto climate control. get fsm from xenon. READ IT.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:22 AM

I don't think that the water valve caused the overheating, but the overheating lead to a pressure rise which broke the plastic piece off the valve. See attached image. The FSM doesnt seem to talk about this sensor. It talks about the water **** vacuum solenoid, but I never see a mention of the sensor in the Heating/AC section.

I am aware that no vacuum leads to the heat on all the time, I have been battling vacuum leaks as long as Ive owned the car.

My question is if anyone knows a part # that still includes the heat sensor? I did not specify that I had auto climate control when I ordered my part, I just found what I believed to be the correct part number.

How will the computer behave without this sensor attached? Will it always keep the valve open or closed?
Attached Thumbnails Heater Water Cock Electrical Sensor-img_20150830_125725_659.jpg   Heater Water Cock Electrical Sensor-img_20150830_125807_661.jpg  
Old 08-30-2015, 01:50 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

it isn't a sensor just a temperature switch. you might check with a dealer and get a part number that way. the coolant control valve itself is identical on turbo and non turbo. the temp switch just screws onto the top. I gave up on mine and just put a switch in the cabin to control the solenoid valve on the vacuum reservoir that opens it and sends vacuum to the control valve. Did you run all new tubing to the vacuum system. you need one from the right end of the plenum to the vacuum tank (I think nissan calls it that). original tube had a white stripe. The tube to the valve had a blue stripe and should go to the thing on top the vacuum tank with two wires going to it. The tube going into the cabin had a red stripe and goes thru the firewall. the larger tube is for the cruise control. The one going to the Manifold is marked with an M. It is in the fsm. Does your vacuum pump work? if the one you ordered has a threaded cap on top just unscrew that and screw on the temp switch. you need to check under the dash (need to remove) for where the vac hose goes. it tees off right and left just after coming thru the firewall. the side to the left goes to the air solenoids just above the steering column. those run your dampers and stuff. then not working you hear clicking and so on.

Last edited by rogerz; 08-30-2015 at 01:52 PM.