280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chts/water temp sensor Q

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 05:56 PM

chts/water temp sensor Q

I have a 81 na 5spd 280zx. Long story short, I do not have a chts or a water temp sensor... my car runs like doo doo. I believe the car originally had the water temp sensor but I cannot find the wires. There is only the connector for the ttv in that area(unless that is actually the temp sensor connector and I am missing the ttv connector). I am trying to hunt down the wires to tie a new connector in, would it be possible for someone to post a pic of where the wires trace back to? I have been searching for pics/instructions for a while and cant come up with much.

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by darxranga
I have a 81 na 5spd 280zx. Long story short, I do not have a chts or a water temp sensor... my car runs like doo doo. I believe the car originally had the water temp sensor but I cannot find the wires. There is only the connector for the ttv in that area(unless that is actually the temp sensor connector and I am missing the ttv connector). I am trying to hunt down the wires to tie a new connector in, would it be possible for someone to post a pic of where the wires trace back to? I have been searching for pics/instructions for a while and cant come up with much.

Thanks!
here is the plug for the chts of my 82 turbo might me the same location.

Name:  Uxbridge-20120211-00053.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  112.8 KB
Old 02-27-2012, 06:27 PM

Thank you for the pic! Do you know where that wire runs back to? If I can find its origin I might be able to find the missing connector or put in a new one. Thanks!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:34 PM

Thank you for the pic! Do you know where that wire runs back to? If I can find its origin I might be able to find the missing connector or put in a new one. Thanks!
I believe one wire runs to pin 23 on the ecu harness and the other to the afm.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:39 PM

my bad the connectors on the non turbos are bullet type and the harness is different one wire goes to pin 14 on the ecu harness and the other goes to the afm and pin 22 on the ecu harness you should take a look at service manual for the schematics.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:46 PM

Ok thank you that is a start. I guess perhaps I am misstating my question. Maybe I can phrase it differently. What I am specifically looking for is the location that the wire from your chts merges into the rest of the wiring harness. I have seen the overall wiring diagram but I do not know exactly where the wires run. I appreciate your help.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:56 PM

Ok thank you that is a start. I guess perhaps I am misstating my question. Maybe I can phrase it differently. What I am specifically looking for is the location that the wire from your chts merges into the rest of the wiring harness. I have seen the overall wiring diagram but I do not know exactly where the wires run. I appreciate your help.
sorry about that i cant tell you exactly were it merges exactly because my harness is a mess but im pretty sure its somewhere near the battery tray.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:57 PM

oh ok, lol perhaps someone else can chime in and shine some light on it for me. Thanks anyway!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

it is two wires. the connector is the same as the fuel injectors. The n/a machines had the same connector NOT bullets. download the fsm from xenon. take the pdf file to kinkos or some such and have them blow up the schematic to 11x17. makes it fairly readable. you should be able to dope it out from there.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:22 PM

I was unable to find a decent diagram for the efi harness but did make progress. I concluded that the connector I do have does indeed belong to the the ttv based on the color of the wires(YB and GW). I traced the efi harness as well as I could but could not find any loose ends and nothing heading to the other side of the engine bay where the chts would be. I will try again tomorrow when I have more light.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:31 PM
The Good Twin

I was unable to find a decent diagram for the efi harness but did make progress.
Click: www.xenons130.com/reference <== best diagrams.

I concluded that the connector I do have does indeed belong to the the ttv based on the color of the wires(YB and GW). I traced the efi harness as well as I could but could not find any loose ends and nothing heading to the other side of the engine bay where the chts would be. I will try again tomorrow when I have more light.
How about posting some pics of your engine bay / thermostat housing? That would help us help you.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:33 PM
GTR
Badass Z Chick

Ok, silly question...is there a hole there for where a CHTS would go based on the picture above?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:03 PM

Nismo: I will be looking over that site tonight/tomorrow.

GTR: yes there is a hole on the block

The connection that I did find, YB and GW= TTV
Name:  2012-02-27210356.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  34.1 KB

TTV on housing, yes I know the connector is broken
Name:  2012-01-28144211.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  58.3 KB

The other sensors on the thermostat housing(sorry its upside down, I could not get it to flip over)
Name:  2012-01-281442401.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  61.1 KB

The hole where the chts goes
Name:  2011-09-02083220.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  35.7 KB

Sorry if the cell phone pics are poor quality/bad lighting. I can take more tomorrow with my camera.

The thermostat housing is not the original one. The original upper thermostat housing broke and the whole housing was replaced because it was cheaper than just the upper. The original lower was unfortunately lost. I do know that the thermal vacuum valve/ported vacuum switch is the incorrect one. It should be a white one with only 2 nipples. So yes, my thermostat housing is a mess, but its all I have to deal with...
Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 AM

Sorry, I was really busy yesterday and unable to add more photos. Please let me know if there are any other pictures that would be helpful.

Name:  HPIM0680.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  118.5 KB

Name:  HPIM0683.jpg
Views: 1210
Size:  120.1 KB

My plan is to first find the connectors to install a chts because that is the most obvious fix. I will be able to further diagnose any other issues once that is fixed. Am I at least heading in the right direction?
Old 02-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by ANDREW280
here is the plug for the chts of my 82 turbo might me the same location.

OK so the wire with the EV1 connector (same connector as the injectors use) by your thumb is the CHTS on both the NA and the turbo cars (according the the FSM found at www.xenons130.com if you don't have it already - Section EF page 41 for the 1981 FSM). The sensor on the hose with the two wire pig tails and bullet connectors is for your automatic climate control. The sensor to the right on the cylinder head with the two terminals coming out of it with bullet connectors on the wiring harness is the knock sensor (only on the turbo cars).

You NEED the CHTS for the car to run properly - it's one of the major sensors for the stock ECU.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:30 PM

Update: I found the connector!!! It was hiding twisted back behind something in the area of the battery. Thanks for the help locating it!

Ah, but now the plot thickens... I installed the sensor and hooked it up, now it wont start. I unhooked it and tried again and it sputtered but would not start. It had been starting and would eventually hold idle after a bit of coaxing the throttle. Now it barely coughs. Thinking the battery might be weak, i jumped it from another car with no improvements. Thoughts?
Old 02-29-2012, 06:50 PM

Update: I found the connector!!! It was hiding twisted back behind something in the area of the battery. Thanks for the help locating it!

Ah, but now the plot thickens... I installed the sensor and hooked it up, now it wont start. I unhooked it and tried again and it sputtered but would not start. It had been starting and would eventually hold idle after a bit of coaxing the throttle. Now it barely coughs. Thinking the battery might be weak, i jumped it from another car with no improvements. Thoughts?
I am having the same problem turns out i was sold the wrong sensor (i think) i have another one on order we will see this weekend.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:36 PM
The Good Twin

Reset everything back to stock, or check to make sure everything (AFM, TPS, idle screws, etc) is in the stock setting / location.

Sounds like someone eff'd over the car and tried to make it run without the CHTS.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:10 PM

alright, im on it! I thought the afm wasn't adjustable, I take it I need to revisit my new best friend the fsm
Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 PM
The Good Twin

Click: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-280zxt-s30-s130-tech-tips-275/js-how-rebuild-your-afm-15277/
Old 03-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Lotta dead links there but the http://www.kamikazeracing.org/dl/JsAFMRebuild/ is all good still