280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Auto Climate update, water cock & heater core.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:03 PM

Smile Auto Climate update, water **** & heater core.

Just wanted to update on fixing my auto climate so theres another option that shows up in the search.

My problem was that I could select any vent and any speed (low auto etc) but it was only blowing air from outside, at first there wasn't any coolant leaking in the passenger side, but once i messed with the hoses and stuff a small drip started and I could see the corrosion on the Water ****. The auto climate worked when I bought the car so I thought it was something i could fix. I know everyone says just to switch to manual but this car suddenly became my daily and its winter so I didn't have time to do that.

How I fixed it: I replaced the water **** http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/SHC03/16-7645 I just took the whole dash out to do this since its easy to do. Taking the dash out requires you to take both kick panels and the radio console and the steering wheel, don't forget to undo the bolts where the heater controls are as well as the plastic that surrounds it. You don't take the controls out! Also reach under and unscrew the speedo cable. Also undo all the wires that plug in on the passenger side. You will want to take the seat out as it makes things alot easier.

I also replaced the heater core as well since it was right there and didn't want to do this again if it was bad. (get one at your local parts store) Its easy to figure out when you get there.

The only hoses I replaced were a few of the short vaccum ones at the splitter and the coolant lines that go through the firewall to the water ****. I also put all new clamps on the hoses as well. Also with the dash out I cleaned the apirator fan out with air.

This job seemed overwhelming with all the vaccum hoses, but I took my time. The only bump in the road was a 1-4 vaccum splitter that I broke pulling the hoses apart, I couldn't find a new one anywhere so I simply bought 2 1-2 splitters from Napa and it works fine.

Don't get me wrong its a pain in the a** if you have the time switching to manual would most likely be your best bet, but if you just take your time, taking pictures helps if you need them for the hoses. I have a book, but didn't need to use it I had done my research on sites like this one. Thanks to all the guys on here with the info!!

Last edited by J-cubZ; 03-05-2011 at 09:09 PM.