300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

fuel injection recall

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 07:33 AM

Few people know the real reason why Nissan had to recall the fuel system on the 300ZX's (and other models) back in the mid-80's. The only explanation given was that there was a possibility of a fuel leak thus burning your car to the ground.

My brother was the Director of Engineering for 3M Corporation that resolved the problem with Nissan America back when all this started about 24 years ago. He phoned me one day back in 1985 and told me about a top-priority project 3M was working on with Nissan America about a safety issue on many of their cars.

Nissan had designed a very efficient (and safe!) fuel injection system for their new V6 engine introduced in their cars in 1984. The only problem was the system leaked fuel after an unpredictable length of time. Why? Well, that answer took alot of money and engineering effort to figure out.

Not all chemical formulations of gasoline are the same all over the world. The gas in Asia is not the same as fuel in other parts of the planet. Also, back in those days America was still developing and changing formulations for producing Lead-Free gasoline. Many additives are mixed in America's fuel to help reduce emissions. Good for America: not so good for the synthetic seals used in the fuel delivery system in Nissan's cars.

3M discovered that the fuel additives America kept developing and changing actually desolved some of the seal material over a difficult-to-predict length of time. It could happen in 10,000 miles or 200,000 miles. But it probably will happen.

So, 3M came up with a material that was uneffected by the fuel additives and Nissan started a massive recall on their fuel delivery system.

Now the true story is known. No one is really to blame for the problem but, the solution has been put in place and Nissan will foot the bill.

If your local dealership tries to give you a hard time, contact the Regional Nissan Representaive for your area. You can find out how on the Nissan Corporate website.

The rep will make sure things are taken care of or know why not.

Good luck,

WiZZard
Old 11-22-2009, 08:38 AM

That's funny since the fuel injector service campaign didn't really start until the mid 90s, not the 80s.

Anyway... There are apparently no "kits" left with which to have the work performed. So you're probably SOL at this point.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:27 PM

Hi there all.. Well my car is now fixed.. However, the mechanic stated that there is problems with my fuel injectors.. 1 and 3.. I wonder if it's part of this recall. I called Universal City Nissan where the car was first purchased and they said that I would have to call the Nissan 800 number because the VIN was older and was now archived. I spoke to them and they are claiming that no recall or safety campaign was ever processed for the 1986 Nissan 300ZX. I said that I did research and lots of websites said there was... even the National Highway Safety... site (government site) said there was.. they are denying anything about it.. So I called Miller Nissan (another Dealership) and they stated that only certain VIN #'s applied to the safety campaign.. However, upon reading the posted logges in this thread it stated: APPLIED VIN # for this safety campaign: ALL
Where do I go from here...?? ANY ONE GOT ANY IDEAS!?! I am sure someone else has gone through this. I just happen to be a bit behind.. I am just getting my car back to proper shape and could really use some advice..
Old 12-03-2009, 09:37 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Maybe you missed these two posts from this thread?

Originally Posted by reddzx
It was not a recall. Never was a recall. If you go to a dealer asking about the recall, you will be denied and told there was never a recall. It was a voluntary service campaign. Before you get all worked up, look at the wiring harness on the passenger side of the intake and look for a half inch wide piece of yellow tape wrapped around the harness. That is what most dealers did to mark it as having been done.

Print this and take it with you to the dealer.

http://www.az-zbum.com/fuel.injector...e.campaign.pdf

Read all of this and quit spreading useless false information.

http://www.az-zbum.com/information.i...r.recall.shtml
Originally Posted by AZ-ZBum
Anyway... There are apparently no "kits" left with which to have the work performed. So you're probably SOL at this point.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:52 PM

I understand that I should be using "Safety Campaign" instead of recall.. However, when I took my car to Miller Nissan, the Service Writer said that it's all the same.. And that I may have document to support a "safety recall," however, it doesn't apply to all VIN #'s as it stated in the 175pg document that attached above. I kept insisting until he got the Nissan North American on the phone and they told me that my car is not part of the recall. I asked then why does the 175pg. document (specifically on page 33) say ALL VIN's.. I was told someone must have forged the document because it only applies to certain VIN #'s.. Can you someone advise?
Old 12-04-2009, 06:00 PM

It applies to all US Z31 VINs.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:25 PM

I guess I will have it towed to another dealership in the San Fernando Valley and hope that they follow what is written on the document. My car is pure stock and I would hate to have it towed from one place to another and get the run around. I would just do the work myself but I have "no where" to work on it. And it doesn't help that I just moved to a new apartment where they won't allow anyone to work on their cars. I really wish that I knew someone out here in the San Fernando Valley who knew of a Dealership to take care of this. It was a lot easier being in San Diego, my friends all have garages.. Here I know no one.. So I will have to cross my fingers.. Wish me luck.. I will post the result..
Old 12-08-2009, 11:20 AM

In 1996, Nissan mailed me a letter concerning the fuel injector service campaign. I had the work done shortly after receiving the letter. Besides the z31, it also affected certain Maxima model years as well.

Read the PDF document carefully on AZ-Zbum’s site and see what can be gleaned from it. I didn’t see anything in it concerning a deadline date for the campaign or a “while supply lasts” warning. I could have missed it though. After 14 years, Nissan might have run out of replacement kits. They could always make more kits if they want to, unless of course, they don’t want to be bothered with it any more.

Call Nissan’s 800 number. Mention the voluntary fuel injector service campaign. Watch every word you say and call it by it’s exact name. Say one wrong word to them like “recall” and they might try to throw you for a loop and act like you don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. Meanwhile, keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case.

Good luck.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:05 PM

Well, after speaking to Miller Nissan of Van Nuys, CA.... and Nissan North America... and Speaking to the NHSTA... THE SAFETY CAMPAIGN does not apply to all VIN #'s of the 300ZX.. Man, this has been such a hassel. I ended up contacting the Nissan Consumer Affairs and they are saying the same thing. So I don't understand how all the above threads that say that Nissan pays for these repairs.. Kind of perplexing because Nissan is insisting that it is not true at all.. They told me that NISSAN never puts out "Recalls" and/or Safety Campaign" that are all inclusive of all VIN's. only specific VIN #'s. I really wish that I could prove them wrong... because I am having to pay $450.00 to get my replaced..
Old 12-08-2009, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chuwie
Well, after speaking to Miller Nissan of Van Nuys, CA.... and Nissan North America... and Speaking to the NHSTA... THE SAFETY CAMPAIGN does not apply to all VIN #'s of the 300ZX.. Man, this has been such a hassel. I ended up contacting the Nissan Consumer Affairs and they are saying the same thing. So I don't understand how all the above threads that say that Nissan pays for these repairs.. Kind of perplexing because Nissan is insisting that it is not true at all.. They told me that NISSAN never puts out "Recalls" and/or Safety Campaign" that are all inclusive of all VIN's. only specific VIN #'s. I really wish that I could prove them wrong... because I am having to pay $450.00 to get my replaced..
I had to print out the original campaign bulletin and show it to them. They tried to give me the same BS. You may have to strong arm them a bit. Can't remember where I found it, but I did, and when they saw it, they couldn't deny it. Of course, the stupid fnckers then toasted my ECU when the idiot who did the job forgot to disconnect the battery before he started chopping wires. They tried to tell me that it was a mere coincidence that a perfectly running car with low mileage just happened to have the ECU go out while sitting in their shop. They ended up renting me a car for a week, while they got me a new ECU and installed it, free of charge. I talked to the owner and made it pretty clear that I was going to sue them if they didn't fix it...without actually saying it, of course. That would be a threat. In the end, after a lot of hassle, I got my car back, which still runs perfectly.

Last edited by SloppyGoat; 12-08-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:00 AM

When they told the same thing about not all VIN's are eligible I asked them if while the cars in my production year were moving down the assembly line, did one car get this kind of injector and the next four cars get that kind. So that years later only some cars in the same production run are eligible?

Ask them why yours isn't eligible. Ask whats the criteria for the service besides being on the list. Why are some on the list and not others? That's what I asked and I brow beat then into doing it. I called all the way to Nissan North America head quarters and went told no, asked for a supervisor or the next in the chain of command. My car only had 57K on it in 2005 and had been a one owner car. I expressed outrage at being refused. They finally said yes probably to get rid of me.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Chuwie
Yes. It does apply to all VINs. But seeing as how this notice is now 14 years old, it's also very likely that your car has had the work done already. Take a picture of the engine showing the injectors and wiring harness on the passenger side.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:34 PM

They do keep a list of cars that have already had it done. They should be able to look up your VIN and tell you if it's already been done.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:13 PM

that sucks they denied me i even called nissan and they told me that it was vin spisific even though the paper work says other wise
Old 09-15-2011, 10:58 PM

i found out about the campaign after my 84 burned to the ground...
gotta take the 85 in before its too late!
Old 02-05-2014, 08:07 PM

I see this is an old post but an important one too
I got my 86 turbo 300zx from a guy that had the injector fire It did not have a salvage title.
I was denied the parts per the Safety campain too, the dealer stating the car had to be in running condition . I was seeking new injectors and the wiring .

i was a Datsun /nissan tech for 11yrs
back then
i would check to see if your car is included , before it burns
the replacement harness fires odd and even banks alternately , not 1 thru 6 injector on a 86

BTW the service writers make nothing on this and thus are not happy to get you in . the techs make a lesser commission and the dealer charges the factory for labor and parts , it,s only a freebe to you the customer .

I got a hold of the Distric Service Manager and he could not understand why I was being denied the parts , problem solved - report the service writer -

some auto manufacters even pay to get you to bring the car in so they can close the book on the campain Renault alliance did with there exploding heater cores $100 then $300 finally $500