300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

fuel injection recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 05:18 AM

Smile fuel injection recall

i was just getting ready to buy 6 new injectors and install them myself.....thanks to all you great people on this site,i read some chatter about a recall.i took it to the nissan place and damn...it is true. they replaced all the injectors,fuel rail,and nessasary hoses and it didnt cost me a dime.they were not real happy to do warrenty work on a 86 but they did it very nice. thanks for the good info and all you good people that are willing to help someone you dont even know
Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 AM
The Good Twin

w00t!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 10:54 AM

I've always wanted to go to a dealership and do that but for the problem that the previous owner way up on all the warranty work and that I don't trust dealerships to do work I pay them for let alone freebies.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:02 PM

On the bright side, you do get nice brand new injectors and even a regulator. On the bad side, Wayzata Nissan's "mechanic" must've forgotten to disconnect my battery before he started chopping wires and he toasted my ECU! I had to get a little mean when they tried to tell me it just happened.
Let me get this straght...I bring them a car that runs perfectly and then after they're done my ECU is fried and the car will only run for 5 mins at a time?!!

BULLSHIT!!! I made the idiots buy me a new ECU and also pay for car rental until they got it fixed. All turned out ok in the end, but I guess you should make sure you take it to a competent dealer. I had no idea these guys were such fools. Needless to say, they'll never touch my car again.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:57 AM

i was wondering about the recall.... i wonder if my nissan shop here will replace em
Old 10-08-2009, 11:27 AM

Would they still replace them even if the car is old as hell and looks like ****? for free at that?
Old 10-08-2009, 11:40 AM
The Good Twin

Nope. You haven't heard of the "ugly car" rule? Dealers don't honor recalls if the car is beat up or ugly.

Really now.....
Old 10-08-2009, 12:07 PM

are you being sarcasticly stupid or serious?
Old 10-08-2009, 01:30 PM

i hate ugly cars
Old 10-08-2009, 03:30 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by TeamRonin
are you being sarcasticly stupid or serious?
Maybe you missed the FIRST POST of this thread? Especially this part:

Originally Posted by bran3065
i took it to the nissan place and damn...it is true. they replaced all the injectors,fuel rail,and necessary hoses and it didnt cost me a dime.they were not real happy to do warranty work on a 86 but they did it
If it's still not clear, then there's no hope.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:52 PM
West Coast!

how can someone chech if the work was done to the car or not? like if the previous owner took it to nissan to get the recalled parts replaced?
Old 10-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Ruff Ryder

your injectors are fine, i checked them out before i bought the car.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:03 PM

LISTEN HERE BRO. NO WHERE I MEAN NO WHERE does it say that his vehicle was fallen apart, a rust bucket, all the wires jerry rigged to maintain its power, and seats from a another vehicle inside. Now to me that is questionable due to the fact outside work and modifyin' has been done to the vehicle. Im curious and i dont know and that is why i asked.

Next time if ya got something stupid and sarcastic to say keep it to yourself! Im well aware of what i read in the post. Im on this forum cuz i a Z enthusiast and want to learn more about them. As long as you have been on here you should understand that there is going to be noobs and vet. mechanics on here and not everyone knows everything. So you should have a little patience if not then don't throw your 2 cents in at all.

"The only stupid question is a stupid question not asked."
Old 10-08-2009, 06:59 PM
The Good Twin

All I have to say is "lulz".

Recalls are recalls...

If you think Nissan is going to deny you, freaking drive down to your local Nissan dealer w/ some printed material about the recall and ask them.

This isn't brain surgery... is it?
Old 10-08-2009, 08:29 PM

It was not a recall. Never was a recall. If you go to a dealer asking about the recall, you will be denied and told there was never a recall. It was a voluntary service campaign. Before you get all worked up, look at the wiring harness on the passenger side of the intake and look for a half inch wide piece of yellow tape wrapped around the harness. That is what most dealers did to mark it as having been done.

Print this and take it with you to the dealer.

http://www.az-zbum.com/fuel.injector...e.campaign.pdf

Read all of this and quit spreading useless false information.

http://www.az-zbum.com/information.i...r.recall.shtml

Last edited by reddzx; 10-08-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by TeamRonin
LISTEN HERE BRO.
You lost me right there. XD

"LOOK, BROSEPH!"
Old 10-31-2009, 02:10 PM
User Friendly

Originally Posted by tonsoffun300zx
how can someone chech if the work was done to the car or not? like if the previous owner took it to nissan to get the recalled parts replaced?
Nissan maintains that information. You can call 1-800-NISSAN1, give them your VIN, and find out what maintenance, repair, or recall work was done on your car by Nissan. They were even able to pull up the 32-year-old records on my 1973 240Z.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:01 PM
Usedta be Justin260z

Carfax?
Old 10-31-2009, 04:06 PM
User Friendly

Originally Posted by justin260z
Carfax?
Huh?
Old 10-31-2009, 10:37 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Originally Posted by justin260z
Carfax?
Cant pull up a carfax that doesn't have the newer vin (Jn1 blah blah blah) The HLS1/30's wont pull up.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:33 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
Cant pull up a carfax that doesn't have the newer vin (Jn1 blah blah blah) The HLS1/30's wont pull up.
Well, it's a good thing this fuel injection campaign is for the Z31's eh?

And welcome back Barbie!
Old 11-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Well, it's a good thing this fuel injection campaign is for the Z31's eh?

And welcome back Barbie!
*facepalm* Thats what I get for being dead tired at 12 at night after working on my S30 all day long....
Old 11-02-2009, 06:27 AM
User Friendly

Originally Posted by NismoPick
... And welcome back Barbie!
Thank you!
Old 11-05-2009, 05:31 PM

They will sometimes try to feed you some BS about it not being an active campaign from time to time. As mentioned above, print out the recall info and bring it to them. They absolutely have to do it, unless some obvious mods were done to the car...then they might claim it's null and void.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:40 AM

Few people know the real reason why Nissan had to recall the fuel system on the 300ZX's (and other models) back in the mid-80's. The only explanation given was that there was a possibility of a fuel leak thus burning your car to the ground.

My brother was the Director of Engineering for 3M Corporation that resolved the problem with Nissan America back when all this started about 24 years ago. He phoned me one day back in 1985 and told me about a top-priority project 3M was working on with Nissan America about a safety issue on many of their cars.

Nissan had designed a very efficient (and safe!) fuel injection system for their new V6 engine introduced in their cars in 1984. The only problem was the system leaked fuel after an unpredictable length of time. Why? Well, that answer took alot of money and engineering effort to figure out.

Not all chemical formulations of gasoline are the same all over the world. The gas in Asia is not the same as fuel in other parts of the planet. Also, back in those days America was still developing and changing formulations for producing Lead-Free gasoline. Many additives are mixed in America's fuel to help reduce emissions. Good for America: not so good for the synthetic seals used in the fuel delivery system in Nissan's cars.

3M discovered that the fuel additives America kept developing and changing actually desolved some of the seal material over a difficult-to-predict length of time. It could happen in 10,000 miles or 200,000 miles. But it probably will happen.

So, 3M came up with a material that was uneffected by the fuel additives and Nissan started a massive recall on their fuel delivery system.

Now the true story is known. No one is really to blame for the problem but, the solution has been put in place and Nissan will foot the bill.

If your local dealership tries to give you a hard time, contact the Regional Nissan Representaive for your area. You can find out how on the Nissan Corporate website.

The rep will make sure things are taken care of or know why not.

Good luck,

WiZZard

Quick Reply: fuel injection recall