300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Deuce's Intro/Build thread. 1986T 300zx

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 08:15 AM

Deuce's Intro/Build thread. 1986T 300zx

First off, my name is Deuce. I am 22 and from Monroe, Louisiana. I am a current owner of two vehicles, recently selling a third in order to finish paying for my latest love, which you will learn about below. I am a bible college student in West Monroe, and I currently work in a law office to support my car habit. Here is a picture of me and my GF Amy.

I got into the car scene at about 20 years old. Bit late, I know, but fell in love with what I have. For the past 2 years my passions has poured into the following two cars. Their names are "Ol' Bessie" and "Babydoll":

1989 Honda Prelude 2.0 Si (Ol' Bessie)
1995 Honda Prelude Vtec (baby doll)

The 95 Prelude was slightly modified, and by ricer math was doing about +10hp (MAYBE +15) to the stock 200. It was also a DD. Babydoll was my pride and joy. I love that car, and it is my second favorite car in the entire world. No, the 300zx is not my favorite... sadly. Ema, as you will meet her, is number 3. My favorite car of all time I have yet to own. A 1969 Black on Black Camaro, z28.

I decided to sell Baby Doll in order to purchase Ema. (1986 300zx Turbo). I am currently in the process of completing this purchase.

Here is a picture of baby doll in my yard:

Now, on to the reason I am here, and why you are reading this long introduction.

Ema: She was purchased my father's cousin in early 1987. She was a later-of-the-year 1986 300zx. She is all stock, with 140kish miles on engine and body. All work, fluid changes, and maintenance was done by the Nissan dealership. She has sat in a shed for about 5 years now. This is how she looked when I pulled her out.

I pulled her out that day and gave her a thorough bath and promised her I would return to purchase her! That day is now soon at hand. With the selling of Baby Doll I will be able to purchase Ema for the family-discounted price of $2,500.00. She does currently run, but will receive a FULL tune up before she does anything road-worthy.

As she sat after her bath:

So, there is Ema. I apologize for the length of this intro, but a proper intro gives sufficient detail! Especially for something that is on a WHOLE NOTHER LEVEL!

-In geometry the Z represents the vertical axis. To reach a higher plane you must traverse along the Z-

If you have any questions, please post them. I also will be needing any help/info/tips/etc you can provide, as this is my first trip into Nissan. My main experience is with Chevrolet and Honda. I hope you have enjoyed.

~Deuce
Old 12-05-2011, 08:47 AM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Nice Z31, and GF.

We have tons of info here, so search around. Make sure you check out www.az-zbum.com / www.redz31.net / www.xenonz31.com for a lot of Z31 info too.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Welcome to ZDriver!

Nice Z31, and GF.

We have tons of info here, so search around. Make sure you check out www.az-zbum.com / www.redz31.net / www.xenonz31.com for a lot of Z31 info too.
Thanks. I'm also on 300zxclub.com and z31performance.com. I just figured I would join to have as many resources as possible at my disposal.

BUILD PART 1:

PLEASE, If I have a question that has already been answered, LINK me to the specific thread. I know that is asking a tad much, but searching forums for small specific things can be difficult, and in many cases I have found the people who answer your questions either 1.) Know it by heart and can give a short response, 2.) CREATED the thread answering what you need and can find it much quicker than you can.

GOAL: 285-300WHP.
EXPECT DURATION LENGTH: 4-6 months. (stating December 1, 2011, putting end of build roughly at April 1, 2012-June 1, 2012, hopefully).

I will constantly be updating the page. Here is Ema as she sits right now.

Part 1:

Complete tune-up. I will list date of purchase of parts, part numbers, and prices. ( I like to be thorough).

Spark Plugs: Purchased 11-28-11. Part (+number): NGK Iridium IX-BCPR5EIX-11. Price: 8.49 per plug. (purchased a total of 8 )
Spark Plug Wires: Purchased 11-28-11. Part: NGK Plug Wires-NE77A. Price: 32.23
Air filter: Purchased 11-28-11. Part: K&N RF-1011. Price: 42.39
Oil: Not yet purchased (recommendations accepted)
Oil Filter: Not yet purchased (recommendations accepted)
Fuel Filter: Not yet purchased
Distributor Cap and Rotor: Not yet purchased
Recharge Freon: Not yet completed
Timing belt: Not yet purchased

Still reading through my new Haynes (came with car, woot woot) to keep learning everything. I've taken her out a few times and she rides very nice.

If there is any crash-course, basic, super-noob info I need to know for the tune up process, please feel free to say it. I will very readily admit I am new to 300zx's and that I have much to learn. Each car and brand is different, even if the fundamentals are similar. I am taking things very slowly, and purchasing items as I go. I already purchased an item for step 3 (IC+Piping) because I found a sweet deal I couldn't pass up .

EDIT: Does anyone currently use any CMperformanceexhaust.com 's exhaust set up and intercooler piping? Are they still in business? (Their web page is not up-to-date). Thanks.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:53 AM

I just bought a CM 3 inch turbo back about a month ago, looks and sounds great. It's actually super quiet if you can believe that. As far as IC piping goes, you would be better off getting like an 80$ kit from E-bay and having someone custom cut/weld the pipes for your particular IC.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bates
I just bought a CM 3 inch turbo back about a month ago, looks and sounds great. It's actually super quiet if you can believe that. As far as IC piping goes, you would be better off getting like an 80$ kit from E-bay and having someone custom cut/weld the pipes for your particular IC.
Where did you order it from? Did you use their website or did you call them?

i've been going to www.cmperformanceexhaust.com but my browser said the site isn't safe so I've been wary on giving them my payment information.

I was planning on getting the 3inch turbo back, stainless steel, no cat, dual tip set up.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by DaDeuceIsLoose
Where did you order it from? Did you use their website or did you call them?

i've been going to www.cmperformanceexhaust.com but my browser said the site isn't safe so I've been wary on giving them my payment information.

I was planning on getting the 3inch turbo back, stainless steel, no cat, dual tip set up.
Yes I went through the website. It is safe lol.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:38 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

I used to have an 86' Prelude DX, till I understeer'd like mad in the rain and busted both wheel bearings up front and raped the front suspension

I miss that car

Welcome to Zdriver
Old 12-05-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bates
Yes I went through the website. It is safe lol.
Hey, you can never be too careful on the internet... lol

I used to have an 86' Prelude DX, till I understeer'd like mad in the rain and busted both wheel bearings up front and raped the front suspension

I miss that car

Welcome to Zdriver
I love 3rd and 4th gen preludes. ^_^ They are alot of fun, especially the 4WS versions.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by DaDeuceIsLoose

I bought the 3inch aluminum turbo back system, dual tip and it is great! I would say to get the aluminum imo. Im pretty sure its lighter then stainless. If you wanna reach 285-300hp i recommend in reading
http://z31.com/faq/turbo.faq.shtml

Based off this video https://www.zdriver.com/forums/newre...reply&p=303863 just by doing the first 3 stages at 10psi you can get roughly get 275-285bhp and if you want more power get an intercooler!
Old 12-06-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Flacster
I bought the 3inch aluminum turbo back system, dual tip and it is great! I would say to get the aluminum imo. Im pretty sure its lighter then stainless. If you wanna reach 285-300hp i recommend in reading
http://z31.com/faq/turbo.faq.shtml

Based off this video https://www.zdriver.com/forums/newre...reply&p=303863 just by doing the first 3 stages at 10psi you can get roughly get 275-285bhp and if you want more power get an intercooler!
That link is what I've been using to help with my purchases. that, and reading atleast 30 pages of the Haynes manual before I go to bed, and I'll start over when I'm finished. lol.

I'm planning on purchasing the following parts, any recommends/changes before I purchase? (please note everything I'm replacing ALREADY works, I'm just doing it out of an abundance of caution.)

Thermostat: BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1430682, Temp 170 $15.58
Water Pump: BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1312008 Includes Gasket
Metal Impeller $40.79
Distributor Cap: BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1746936 $9.16
Distributor rotor: STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # JR110 $1.93
Timing Belt + Tensioner: GATES Part # TCK104 2 Components (1 Belt, 1 Tensioner, 0 Idlers) $35.79
Old 12-07-2011, 08:50 AM

Parts Purchased on 12-6-11

Thermostat: BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1430682, Temp 170 $15.58
Water Pump: BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1312008 Includes Gasket Metal Impeller $40.79
Distributor Cap: BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1746936 $9.16
Distributor rotor: STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # JR110 $1.93
Timing Belt + Tensioner: GATES Part # TCK104 2 Components (1 Belt, 1 Tensioner, 0 Idlers) $35.79
Manual Boost Controller: Hallman Pro $50.00
Spare Plenum Cover: $10.00
3 Pillar 300zx (84-89) Gauage Pod. Satin Black Finish: $62.99(www.gaugepods.com / review pending)
Old 12-07-2011, 09:24 AM

Its all fine and dandy if you wish to replace all of that but i wouldnt recommend getting it all replaced. Just give it a full tune up. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Change the oil and if you really want to get something else id suggest to get a new fan clutch. They usually go bad after a while. Save your money and buy an exhaust, intake, and boost controller and thats at least 250bhp for under 1k!
Old 12-07-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Flacster
Its all fine and dandy if you wish to replace all of that but i wouldnt recommend getting it all replaced. Just give it a full tune up. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Change the oil and if you really want to get something else id suggest to get a new fan clutch. They usually go bad after a while. Save your money and buy an exhaust, intake, and boost controller and thats at least 250bhp for under 1k!
This car was sitting for 5 years, getting started maybe 2-3 times a year to keep it "up to snuff". I'm just not taking any chances. better safe than sorry.