300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

My TT Z32 Build Thread =)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Bad Speller

My TT Z32 Build Thread =)

I have small shitty pictures of my car from when i first got it. i got it from the first owner older filipino man, 160K Just had the Turbos replaced, brand new units from Nissan at the stealer ship, and a brand new clutch from nissan as well (what a waste on the clutch lol) picked her up drove home and took shitty cell phone pics

Theeeeen i just kept it stock for a while, like 2 weeks haha. added the apexi intake filter and boost gauge, and a stillen exhaust. then got a hit and run by some Illegal Aliens. *sigh* so car sat at my friends shop for a while till i got her towed home. wich then I got a FMIC to replace the broken side mount and did dual intakes!

After That I ended up adding some Downpipes and Test pipes. Got a killer deal ona Mine's Tuned ECU. Tune number 1 so its for BPU turned up the Boost to 13psi with the Greddy Boost controller i installed along with the ECU. had some fun on 100 octane for a few weeks. then eh one day i pumped 91 and was messing with some Bikes on the freeway,

Kinda of had a loud *** back fire car felt slower i knew somethign was wrong but the following day was Dyno day. SO the next morning i got up drove my *** to Hesperia and straped her down.

YouTube - Red Z32 OSR dyno day

She Put Down 336RWTQ and 368 RWHP, Very very disappointing.

when i got home i did a compression test and yep sure enough
137, 95, 135, 120, 130, 125

compression on good engine should be around 185... however 165 is the minimum with no more than 12% diference in cylinders. so ever since then she has been sitting in the drive way.

and now idk how many months later i pushed her in the garage, took the engine out. then yesterday i tore the engine down to the bone!, this is where i stand machine work will begin soon. look forward to engine build pictures.

Parts parts parts

Cylinder Block and Transmission

and a random *** picture my nephew took lol
Old 01-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Pr0n Addict

oh crap effing FMIC! kill it!

looks like you're having fun though. good stuff. did you just get that one?
Old 01-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Pr0n Addict

i seriously did not do that. i swear. i clicked it once. and it lagged like a ****, and there they were.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:33 PM
Bad Speller

^^^ why hating on the FMIC? HKS FMIC best FMIC in the market.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Pr0n Addict

general cooling problems. smic's are widely accepted as better.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Bad Speller

^^^ my gauges say other wise..
Old 01-19-2009, 08:27 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by bardabe
^^^ why hating on the FMIC? HKS FMIC best FMIC in the market.
doesn't matter if it's the best ever. FMIC+Z32TT= total crap.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:42 PM

Here's a first....I actually agree with KasbeKZ.

Bardabe....what are you doin' dude? FMIC on a Z32? Have you not been paying attention? HKS might be the best FMIC on the market today, but it's not the best on Z32TT....not by a long shot. From what I've read, Fabtech makes the best lift kit on the market, but you don't see me putting their stuff on my Z. Moral of the story....just because it's the best on the market doesn't mean it's the best on the Z.

What do you mean 'My gauges say otherwise'. Do you have some special gauges that tell you how much better that FMIC is performing in your car than if you had Stillen SMICs? If so, then you need to get some gauges because they're wrong.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Über User

he meant with the cooling issues involved with FMIC's his guages read otherwise, and the way that FMIC is setup its basically SMIC's stuck to the front and on an angle, so longer piping is involved overall, seems like not such a good investment, at least it isn't the apollo i guess.....
Old 01-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I think I've already laid into him about this.

The HKS FMIC does retain the cross-flow design, though... unlike the Apollo, the HKS is basically just two SMIC's welded together. So its only downsides are restricted airflow to the oil cooler and radiator.

And as for "being the best FMIC on the market for the Z32"... that's like being the smartest kid with Down's syndrome. I'd rather not make my Z look buck-toothed, but it's his Z so he can do whatever he wants with it.

And get some damn fog lights or air ducts from Powertrix.

And where the HELL did you get your info on the compression numbers? If it was a book, burn it. If it was a person, burn him. If it was a website, you should know better than to go anywhere other than to TT.NET for resources...
TT 128-171psi, Maxdiff 14psi.
http://www.twinturbo.net/nissan/300z...mpression.html

185 is near the upper limit for an NA!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
Here's a first....I actually agree with KasbeKZ.

Bardabe....what are you doin' dude? FMIC on a Z32? Have you not been paying attention? HKS might be the best FMIC on the market today, but it's not the best on Z32TT....not by a long shot. From what I've read, Fabtech makes the best lift kit on the market, but you don't see me putting their stuff on my Z. Moral of the story....just because it's the best on the market doesn't mean it's the best on the Z.

What do you mean 'My gauges say otherwise'. Do you have some special gauges that tell you how much better that FMIC is performing in your car than if you had Stillen SMICs? If so, then you need to get some gauges because they're wrong.
Like Z Lover states, the HKS Keeps the cross flow design. it sticks it in the front of the Bumper so there is no ducting needed, The 99 Bumper has already been ordered, so the entire surface area of the intercooler will be exposed to nice cool air.

What i meant by my gauges read otherwise, is that my coolant temperature didn't go up. they stayed in the 150's (Nismo Thermostat + radiator cap) and I don't think Consult would lie to me about that, What the hell I'll have to get an A'pexi Water Temperature gauge or show data logs of the car after i put it back together.

as far as the FMIC goes, i couldn't loose, I have shorter intake piping, custom Fabricated Dual with MUCH MUCH shorter piping. helps it allot (less restriction) as far as IC pipe length goes, yeah it adds some more pipes but i can deal with it, after all they do help disperse some of the heat before it gets to the Intercooler so it's all good.

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
I think I've already laid into him about this.

The HKS FMIC does retain the cross-flow design, though... unlike the Apollo, the HKS is basically just two SMIC's welded together. So its only downsides are restricted airflow to the oil cooler and radiator.

And as for "being the best FMIC on the market for the Z32"... that's like being the smartest kid with Down's syndrome. I'd rather not make my Z look buck-toothed, but it's his Z so he can do whatever he wants with it.

And get some damn fog lights or air ducts from Powertrix.

And where the HELL did you get your info on the compression numbers? If it was a book, burn it. If it was a person, burn him. If it was a website, you should know better than to go anywhere other than to TT.NET for resources...
TT 128-171psi, Maxdiff 14psi.
http://www.twinturbo.net/nissan/300z...mpression.html

185 is near the upper limit for an NA!
^^^ now you sir i respect too much.

I will be relocating my oil cooler to where one of the SMIC used to go. I'll be fabricating a braket to keep the stock IC duct to duct air there. I'll be looking at Earl's and Summit racing for a Oil Cooler core that is around the same size as our Stock SMIC's as far as the Radiator goes, yeah it will live. I will be cleaning the hell out of my AC condencer and all other stuff while the engine is out to make sure its clean like when it came from the factory.

Fog Lights ducts yes those are to be ordered as well but I'll be taking care of that when the car goes into paint I'll be getting the Fiberglass ones and painting them black / tinting them the same shade of the JDM turn signals.

and yeah as far as compression numbers go.. eh wooops. either way they where too low, too damn low for my standards. plus my pistons looked filthy with all that carbon build up. (thank you NGK BKR7ES-11 or whatever it is specilaty Z sells) I'll be getting some PFR6B-11B's and calling it a day.

Im still looking for a machine shop that i can trust to do my Engine block and Head work. The machinists i used to use for my RB's and SR's is not in SoCal anymore so i must keep hunting. in the mean time i will be cleaning all other parts replacing my Wiring harness and cleaning the hell out of my engine bay. also going to weld in a new battery tray if i can't repair mine its starting to rust.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:17 AM
Pr0n Addict

put the battery in the trunk. you won't even need a tray.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Bad Speller

^^^ I like my battery where it is, plus if i do put it in a box in the trunk. the track will start giving me crap for putting a kill switch on my dash where it can be reached from both sides of the car. eff all that. battery sits nice in the OEM tray.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:46 PM

I don't care how short you say the piping is...SMIC > FMIC.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:34 AM

I have to agree. your gauges might not read the temp any different but you are blocking some of the things mentioned (rad, oil cooler) and you realize that. As far as moving the oil cooler to the side, i don't think it might be as effective with the oem bumper and you still have to make brackets and hoses to make it fit
Old 01-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Bad Speller

Today wasn't a real productive day. :boring:

Basically i spent all day interrogating, interviewing and looking at tons and tons of local machine shops seeing and looking at their work, what they specialized in and so on.

started the hunt around 10am. when i was done with the yellow pages and looking at all the automotive machine shop withing a 50 mile radius. called some and eliminated a **** ton of them, took a few trips to local shops but they all where into hot rods and all that American old school cars. non made me comfortable to let them handle my baby.

at around 2pm and one of my last stops i came across the machine shop that made me supper comfortable, and confident in his work. the guy had a shop and ran it by himself. he has been in business since 1989 doing custom performance engines. He had several 2J's RB26's some SR20's Honda B20 strokers, and other engines. He has been building engines for a long time explained to me the kind of work he has done and showed me some of the engines he was working on. all his machinery and over all just made me really really comfortable with leaving him my block.

He looked at it and said a Overbore would be Recommended, however not absolutely necessary like all the other BS shops told me. (he backed up seb from SZ) He will be jet cleaning it, bore checking measuring and if it all checks out ok he will be Honing it. if it all goes according to plan my block will be back by Friday. wich then i can start ordering my goodies. I will be taking my cylinder heads to another shop where all they do is cylinder heads and nothing else. to have a valve job done.

I came home pretty happy, decided to go to Home Depot and pick up some cleaning supplies and tubs. My day wasn't completely a waste though! after i got back from home depot around 7pm. i just sat down and started cleaning my gear box. tomorrow i will clean all my engine parts. now for the pictures!

Old 02-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Bad Speller

well, the last couple days have been pretty productive i must say. i picked up my new JDM block, and sent out my clutch + flywheel to have them balanced.

today however was a very good day for me and my Z. morning i degreased, cleaned and cleaned my engine bay some more. then i Installed my new wiring harness. new wiring harnesses are awesome. after that, i started cleaning and preping parts for paint. and set them aside.

I took my new JDM valve covers and redid my PCV bypass mod. here are the pictures. I tig welded some 3/8 aluminum tube to the valve cover much better than the typical drill and tap NPT fitting.
then i painted them

along with everything else

while all my parts where drying, i took all the parts i had been cleaning and bolted them up to my block

then i took the valve covers did the stainless steel scrub mod, but instead of drilling and taping the under trays back on. I riveted them back on.

I bolted the valve covers back on at the end of the day. and over layed the plenum just for ***** and giggles. looks awesome / good IMO.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:00 PM
F5 Hero

now if only you could learn to resize photos....
Old 02-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Über User

haha second ^^^^
Old 03-01-2009, 12:35 AM
Bad Speller

Today wasn't very productive i only worked on it for about an hour. since i had a car to take care of. but I installed my nismo 555cc injectors, cleaned the intake manifold, and installed the throttle bodies, iacv and aac valve. bolted the plenum down. did the new timing belt, new idler pulleys, new water pump, and installed the front covers back on. this is where she stands now

that is all for now need turbo inlet gaskets, silicon water pass hoses, new heater hoses, downpipe gaskets, clutch and flywheel. all that im waiting for in the mail.