300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

1985 300zx 2+2 build thread +PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 11:56 AM

1985 300zx 2+2 build thread +PICS!

Funny story how I got this car.. I bought a 280z from Delaware, but the title was bad in PA for some reason. Couldn't title it, couldn't drive it. So I found someone with this unmolested, and complete 300zx who wanted to trade, even up. My intentions were to fix a few things on this car, and sell it higher than the $600 I paid for my 280z which I traded this for. So I started fixing a few things, and decided to keep the car for a little longer...at least a while to have some fun and learn some things! I plan to make the car street legal and drivable, but take it to a track every now and again.

276,000 miles later, its pretty rusty, but the tires hold air and it fires right up with no problems. Suspension is nice and tight still, very tight and responsive.

Here's the first picture I took of it, after I got it running. Note the missing headlight cover and bezel

Time to get to work.. first time welding a panel onto a car, so I found a place no one could see, that was easy enough.

finished product, with undercoating

Frame rail rust, SWEET! With an exhaust leak lurking in the background

Couldn't find rails for sale, so I made my own. They were measured to slide over the existing ones. I cut the bad sections out, though.

Here's the finished products, drying. Left one is after 2 layers, right one is after only one layer of primer.

Here's the before and after shots. LOL

The side closest is done, (undercoating drying) the side farthest away hasn't been touched. New brake lines are in my future.

Definitely saved her from more rust. It is getting a little rusty on the rear rails, so I took these shields off and took rust off of them. Didn't get to the rails yet.

After 10 minutes each on the wire brush. These were also hit with undercoating just to help stop rust.

New things, part 1

Part 2

Part 3

More rust! Didn't get to this yet. Kind of stumped as to HOW to fix it. Maybe someone can give me some advice. I was going to unbolt the brackets, weld the floor back together, then re-attach that bracket and bolt it to my new floor section.

Ultimate plans:
Poly bushings
New wheels
New T-top seals
New frame rails...CHECK!
New paint
"posi" Rear
New floor...In progress

I have my eyes on a turbo VG30ET I'm looking to get rebuild for some power! I don't know much about the subject, but I feel that new intake, exhaust, a bigger turbo, bigger injectors, standalone engine management (Megasquirt) and custom intake plenum should make this car more fun. I was also recommended to delete the IACV, fast idle, cold start, PCV, and EGR.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:57 PM

Fab intake

if you can Fab, there are some cool options for intake manifold design and throttle bodies. Port and polish all your runners, squeeze every bit of HP out of you engine.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:14 PM

I think the port / polish of the intake manifold and cylinder heads would really be great, especially with the turbo engine I want to buy. Would be great with that custom intake plenum and larger throttle body! This, in combo with a larger turbo can make for a fun project.

Anyone know where to buy aftermarket turbo headers for a Z31? Plenty of room since I'm removing everything that's not necessary.