300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Auto Trans What is this called?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 01:50 PM

Auto Trans What is this called?

Hello, I am new to this forum. I am working on my Son-in-law's 84 300ZX 2+2 with automatic transmission. I am doing all the work and this is a gift for him. The car was originally given to me by a good friend. We found that the engine had over heated numerous times, causing the left side exhaust manifold to crack, head gaskets to leak and ultimately warp both cylinder heads. I purchased a remanufactured long block and I am in the process of cleaning everything up and seeing what needs to be repaired or replaced. After taking out the transmission and the old long block, I found the following item attached to the transmission mount. The rubber flex bushings are damaged and need replacement. I have a FSM and it does not call out this item, See pictures. Has anyone replaced these bushings before and where they can be purchased from? I have a new trans mount already. Thanks, Bob
Attached Thumbnails Auto Trans What is this called?-dscn4230-2-.jpg   Auto Trans What is this called?-dscn0542.jpg   Auto Trans What is this called?-dscn6173.jpg   Auto Trans What is this called?-dscn6287.jpg   Auto Trans What is this called?-dscn6292.jpg  

Auto Trans What is this called?-dscn6288-2-.jpg   Auto Trans What is this called?-dscn6284.jpg  
Old 07-15-2016, 07:22 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

black thing looks like what is bolted to the manual tranny on my 86. maybe the same on the auto tranny. I think it is there to keep the tranny from torquing around. or just a handle to drag it around the garage when out of the car??? LOL

Take the schematic from the FSM down to kinkos and have them blow it up to 11x17. Much easier to read unless you are a keen eyed twenty something. get fsm at xenonzcar.com
free advice
Get your battery load tested. Be sure you have clean, tight corrosion free terminals on both ends of your battery cables. Be sure the ground (negative) cable goes to a bolt into the frame before going to the starter. grounding through the starter is not a reliable connection. Z's don't like low voltage. causes the electronics to act funny. it is possible to have enough amps to crank but not enough voltage to run the electronics. If you have one size fit all cheapo clamp on terminals they are a problem waiting to happen. Usually on a rainy night around Oh Dark Thirty.

Clean the connectors for the maf or afm, ecu and tps. Deoxit by CAIG is probably the best connector cleaner on the market. spray with CorrosionX after cleaning and before putting together this will help prevent any further corrosion. DON'T USE DIELECTRIC GREASE.

Replace outer tie rod ends, and ball joints. replace the bushings with poly (don't forget to lube them as directed unless you like squeaky things). New shocks. Get new boots for power steering. all those things will make you think you are driving a different car. doing them piece meal is a waste you won't see a great improvement until you do the complete job. You need to get the car realigned after messing with the front. Have your tires in good shape and rebalance. Rear bushings nice too but more work and you won't notice as great an improvement. Rear shocks also because if the fronts are gone so are the rears. if car squats when you jump on the gas the rears are gone. If you have the electro adjustable shocks they are DEFINITELY GONE.

Last edited by rogerz; 07-15-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:02 AM

Thank you for your wisdom rogerz, as I am sure it is based on your experience with these cars. I have been working on cars and motorcycles since I was 19 and had used dielectric grease, but had never heard of Deoxit or CorrosionX. I will heed your advice from this point on. Thanks again, Bob
Old 07-26-2016, 08:01 AM

That piece was a vibration dampner installed after cars in hot climates , like Texas , the SW, Fla , were getting noise and vibration mostly after long rides in 95 + heat... I was told @ the dealer I was at I experienced it once ,thought the trans was coming apart
Old 07-26-2016, 09:07 AM

Thank up 86 tcoupe. The car I am working on, had to have been from the south or southwest, as there is virtually NO rust on the underside of the car or on the body as well. The interior and dash has taken a beating due to sun damage though. It is a really solid body car. One of the reasons I decided to fix it up for my Son-in-law.
I thought that was what it was for. I have been looking for replacement bushings for awhile on the internet, but have had no luck. I am leaning towards going to the Nissan dealer, close by me, to see if they are still available. Bob
Old 09-08-2016, 09:59 AM

XenonZcar.com Z31 Parts Fiche ENGINE & TRANSMISSION MOUNTING Section 2L-1-112

Looking in the above web site, i found the vibration damper and replacement bushing parts. The Nissan part numbers are listed and I show them circled in YELLOW in the attachment. Calling my local Nissan dealer and confirming availability then cost, is on my list to do today.
Thanks, Bob
Attached Thumbnails Auto Trans What is this called?-vibration-damper-replacement-bushing.jpg