300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

I got called out today

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Opinionated

I got called out today

Today some kids called me out to race them in the 1/4 mile

One has a chevy Nova, dont know the year, and wants to race for $100 ( I dont think its in my best interests to do that race)

Other has a Chevy Impala, Also unsure of the year, but its the kids moms car so im sure its a newer one, and with no money.

Ideas?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:14 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by 86zMan
Ideas?

Race Ya don't HAVE to put $ down.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Opinionated

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Race Ya don't HAVE to put $ down.
true, but honestly what chance against a Nova do you think a z31 with the only upgrade being exhaust would have? haha
Old 11-07-2005, 08:35 PM

u drive an na dont you? my god, get a snail on that thing instead of racing it all the time, other wise ur big ego will be drawn from you resulting in withdrawl.

seriously dude, an na with an exhaust goes slower than a stock turbo, and the nas are crap.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:21 AM
Opinionated

Originally Posted by shawn86t
u drive an na dont you? my god, get a snail on that thing instead of racing it all the time, other wise ur big ego will be drawn from you resulting in withdrawl.

seriously dude, an na with an exhaust goes slower than a stock turbo, and the nas are crap.
i know my car isnt the fastest out there, im very aware of that, i just like racing because it is still faster than the majority of the people who think their cars are fast, im not stupid. Im not expecting to beat a Chevy Nova but depending on the Year and type of Impala i probably have a chance.

and i really dont care that my Car is an N/A i can still have fun with it so damn stfu. I only have to wait a year and a half before i either get a TT 91 300zx or early 90's TT Zx engine to put in my car. And no sh*t! i didnt know that a NA went slower than a Turbo! omg omg omg! really?

Dude, im not retarded.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:20 AM

so what if the NA's are slower than a stock turbo? NA has less turbo lag, and if 86zman likes it, then who the f*ck cares how fast it is? Hell, I raced my '94 Ford Ranger with only 94 hp., and beat civics and other cars left and right. It's not all the car that creates the speed that it can accelerate, it's the driver as well.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:34 AM
confuzed member

I think what shawn is saying is that the NA's weren't meant to race, that's what the turbos' were made for. until then, I guess you got to work with what you got. I'd say both cars would beat you.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:34 PM
Opinionated

Originally Posted by emo236
I think what shawn is saying is that the NA's weren't meant to race, that's what the turbos' were made for. until then, I guess you got to work with what you got. I'd say both cars would beat you.
but i can have fun doing it!
haha
Sorry but im 17 w/no job at the moment so turbo really isnt a concern for now. Im just fixing the things that need to be fixed and doing an engine mod here and there.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Doesn't post much...

I don't know why anyone would say that the NA Z31 is "SLOW". Turbo or not, it will outperform 90% of the stock N/A cars on the road still. Yes, a turbo car is faster, but the N/A is not exactly a slug. Lighten up a little on the bashing. Not everyone wants or can afford a turbo. As far as the two prospective race opponents, I'd be more worried about the newer car than the Nova. Unless that Nova has a lot of goodies under the hood it shouldn't be quicker or faster. Did you guys know that the Spanish phrase NoVa means "No Go"? I think instead of giving him a hard time for not having a turbo, some of you could be a little less critical and more realistic. If he gets smoked... So what? Lesson learned.

Rod.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:31 PM
confuzed member

I'm not being critical, I'm just telling you what Nissan's intentions were. Sure you can have fun with your NA, but I wouldn't expect to race a muscle car for $100 and win. If he wants to put money on it, he's not slow. The fastest car I've ever been in was a 1500hp chevelle (scary!)....muscle cars are no joke for straight line runs. Even if he's running a plain SBC 350 with a 4barrel, he could give you problems.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:37 PM
The Good Twin

moral of the story... race him and then you'll know.

Like good ol' DMX says "Talk is cheap mother f*cker" Maybe the NoVa is ****... maybe it's not. If you're not racing for $$$, who cares? Give it a go! I doubt you'd be mocked more for racing & losing, than if you kept backin out of the invite.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Opinionated

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
I don't know why anyone would say that the NA Z31 is "SLOW". Turbo or not, it will outperform 90% of the stock N/A cars on the road still. Yes, a turbo car is faster, but the N/A is not exactly a slug. Lighten up a little on the bashing. Not everyone wants or can afford a turbo. As far as the two prospective race opponents, I'd be more worried about the newer car than the Nova. Unless that Nova has a lot of goodies under the hood it shouldn't be quicker or faster. Did you guys know that the Spanish phrase NoVa means "No Go"? I think instead of giving him a hard time for not having a turbo, some of you could be a little less critical and more realistic. If he gets smoked... So what? Lesson learned.

Rod.
Thank you for that

Originally Posted by NismoPick
moral of the story... race him and then you'll know.

Like good ol' DMX says "Talk is cheap mother f*cker" Maybe the NoVa is ****... maybe it's not. If you're not racing for $$$, who cares? Give it a go! I doubt you'd be mocked more for racing & losing, than if you kept backin out of the invite.
Yeah it wont be for money, im trying to find out the specs on the cars that they have and then ill let you guys know. Worst comes to worst i lose and have a better idea of what my car can and can't do. And i wasn't planning on racing for money. Although i think the Nova might be a good race since its alot heavier, it may have more power but its only a 1/4 mile, if i can get him good off the line and make all my shifts correctly i could maybe stand a chance if he slips up somewhere. Like someone else said, its the Driver in the car just as much as the power in the car.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:35 PM

okay sorry should have typed it when i was sober. Your NA although modified is no weapon by far. and sorry if it seemed to offend you, but NA's look fast, but arn't. Race them, loose the hundred dollars and rethink your plans. however since your in america, wouldn't it be a better idea to use that hundred to save for the turbo conversion then show them what a real zed can do?
Old 11-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Opinionated

okay sorry should have typed it when i was sober. Your NA although modified is no weapon by far. and sorry if it seemed to offend you, but NA's look fast, but arn't. Race them, loose the hundred dollars and rethink your plans. however since your in america, wouldn't it be a better idea to use that hundred to save for the turbo conversion then show them what a real zed can do?
Like i already stated my racing them wouldnt be for money, id do it to see the limits of what my car can do and just see how well i can hold up against some of the newer faster cars and all american Muscle.

Im in no rush to be the fastest car out there, im graduating next year and iv been talking to my dad about 2 things that would allow me to have alot of speed

Either dropping in a 90's TT engine into my z31 or buying a 90's TT z32 for me.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:27 PM

"Either dropping in a 90's TT engine into my z31.........."

if only it were a matter of switching we can only dream
Old 11-08-2005, 08:47 PM
Opinionated

"Either dropping in a 90's TT engine into my z31.........."

if only it were a matter of switching we can only dream
Im talking to a few car shops about sponsoring my car, so i could get it done free/cheap
Old 11-08-2005, 09:29 PM
confuzed member

It's cool to race cars to see where you'd be. That's why you can go to the track. One, thing...an impala isn't a "newer faster" car...comparatively. It should be a pretty good match though. A guy at my summer job got one of the new impala SS's (the SC'd one) I wasn't that impressed personally with what it should be, neither was he, especially since all the little accessories have been breaking on it. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:50 AM
Opinionated

Originally Posted by emo236
It's cool to race cars to see where you'd be. That's why you can go to the track. One, thing...an impala isn't a "newer faster" car...comparatively. It should be a pretty good match though. A guy at my summer job got one of the new impala SS's (the SC'd one) I wasn't that impressed personally with what it should be, neither was he, especially since all the little accessories have been breaking on it. Good luck.
Ah true, well i guess i will just have to find out for myself then. =P
Old 11-09-2005, 06:45 AM

My winning list mainly consists of riced out Honda's . I've also beaten camaro's, firebirds, mustangs, Grand Prix GTs, and a crap load of other vehicles.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:55 AM

autocross, its legal & fun look into it SCCA whould have a chapter near you
Old 11-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Opinionated

The nova is a 77 and he says he thinks the Impala is an '03
Still working on seeing if they are Automatic/Manual
Old 11-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Opinionated

Originally Posted by 86zMan
The nova is a 77 and he says he thinks the Impala is an '03
Still working on seeing if they are Automatic/Manual
you guys stole my thread....

back on topic!!!
Old 11-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Doesn't post much...

I'm tellin ya, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you wiped out the NOVA and got broke-off by the Impala

Rod.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Opinionated

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
I'm tellin ya, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you wiped out the NOVA and got broke-off by the Impala

Rod.
by broke off you mean, lose? lol
Old 11-09-2005, 07:51 PM

What's the power to weight ratio of the Z as opposed to the chevy nova with a stock 350? (might be a 307?). My Z's a turbo and when it's cold outside; it really goes, but if the air and motor are hot... it's not much to brag about. So, the non-turbo might have it's hands full with even an old 350/at with smog control and all.

Brent
Attached Thumbnails I got called out today-1.jpg   I got called out today-3.jpg   I got called out today-10.jpg   I got called out today-7.jpg   I got called out today-13.jpg  

Quick Reply: I got called out today