280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Started DXing my dim headlight, and here's what I found..ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 12:26 AM

Started DXing my dim headlight, and here's what I found..ideas?

So my left headlight had been intermittently going dim for awhile now. Even attempting to activate the high-beam doesn't do anything. Per another headlight thread, I checked the switch connector in the steering column to see if it's singed, but that checks out OK. So I did some electrical testing at the headlight bulb socket. The top (horizontally-oriented) prong-sockets is the ground, and the two side (vertically-oriented) sockets are positives, presumably one for low beam, and the other for high beam.

When I ran a voltage test on each of the side sockets, *both* were about 10.5V. Shouldn't only one of those sides be getting voltage? Does anyone have any ideas what would cause both connections to be receiving voltage simultaneously and so low (while the other side still works properly)? Where/to what do the wires lead to? I would've assumed the wires would go directly to the headlight relay under the hood, but if that were the cause, then the right side should be experiencing the same problem. So I'm thinking if there's something else the headlight socket wires lead to that could cause this sort of problem.

I know I could rig up a new aftermarket relay for the left headlight, but I'd rather do things properly and find the culprit.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:19 PM

headlight problem

Hello I'm new to this, but I hadthe same problem with my headlights. I also checked for the burnt connection, which turned out fine. Anyway to make a long story short, I removed the two screws which where the switch pins are cleaned the contacts. They were covered with carbon, cleaned them off with my pocket knife alcohol and a q-tip, and a eraser. Hope this helps
Old 11-27-2007, 08:14 PM
The Good Twin

Bam! New guy rockin into ZDriver with some good tips. w00t!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:09 PM

Mike...how dare you come in and give good advise
That is a good idea.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Brewington
Hello I'm new to this, but I hadthe same problem with my headlights. I also checked for the burnt connection, which turned out fine. Anyway to make a long story short, I removed the two screws which where the switch pins are cleaned the contacts. They were covered with carbon, cleaned them off with my pocket knife alcohol and a q-tip, and a eraser. Hope this helps
Was the problem you had with both headlights, or just one. I think if the steering column switch is at fault, both headlights will experience the problem since they're both connected to it. The really puzzling part of my problem is that it's only one side, and I can't figure what the left headlight could be connected to that the other side isn't.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:10 PM

It was only the left side, This was a very easy fix! Doesn't cost anything, except maybe 30 min of your time. I will try to attach a picture by Nismopic. Anyway the picture to the left shows the contacts, once you remove the two screws you can remove and clean the contacts.
Attached Thumbnails Started DXing my dim headlight, and here's what I found..ideas?-280zx-headlights-problem.jpg  
Old 11-30-2007, 08:18 PM
MegaSquirter

Originally Posted by Heat Rave R
Was the problem you had with both headlights, or just one. I think if the steering column switch is at fault, both headlights will experience the problem since they're both connected to it. The really puzzling part of my problem is that it's only one side, and I can't figure what the left headlight could be connected to that the other side isn't.
I was having the same problems, one light would go out then the other, but never at the same time. After some checking I found a few places that the previous owner had cut and made splices. Unknown why this was done. I used the info here to clean my steering column switch, but after that failed I just ordered a heavy duty light harness from Blackdragon and the problem was solved.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Brewington
It was only the left side, This was a very easy fix! Doesn't cost anything, except maybe 30 min of your time. I will try to attach a picture by Nismopic. Anyway the picture to the left shows the contacts, once you remove the two screws you can remove and clean the contacts.
Ok everyone, a little update: no progress made. ^^; I disassembled the steering column covers to clean the headlight switch contacts (as shown in the previously posted pics), but that didn't solve the problem. The left headlight continues to be dim.

Anyone else have any ideas about further diagnosing, or what the problem might be? I'm still wondering what along the the lines the left headlight connects back to that the right headlight doesn't.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:53 PM
eff good grammar

i was reading this while i was waiting for a activation e-mail

what kinda voltage are you getting off the alternator it self?
Old 12-14-2007, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
i was reading this while i was waiting for a activation e-mail

what kinda voltage are you getting off the alternator it self?
This dim headlight issue happens regardless of whether the car (and by extension, the alternator) is started or not.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:26 PM

it is probably the plastic square that pops out when you turn the switch there is 3 of them and the one that controls the headlights some times get dirt in it just take the 2screws off and turn the switch you will see the 3 plastic squares pop out just clean them I was having the same problem and I I cleaned all the connections and the problem came back about a week later then I noticed the plastic squares turn the switch off they pop out and turn the switch on and they pop in .try cleaning them.I cleaned them with a Q-tip they are working fine now .but if I have that problem again I will order the relay harness from Black Dragon I had posted on this harness a couple of weeks ago I guess it does work. Just look at the thumb nail posted on #6 reply look at the connectors you can see the plastic squares.

Last edited by runningjalapeno; 12-14-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by runningjalapeno
it is probably the plastic square that pops out when you turn the switch there is 3 of them and the one that controls the headlights some times get dirt in it just take the 2screws off and turn the switch you will see the 3 plastic squares pop out just clean them I was having the same problem and I I cleaned all the connections and the problem came back about a week later then I noticed the plastic squares turn the switch off they pop out and turn the switch on and they pop in .try cleaning them.I cleaned them with a Q-tip they are working fine now .but if I have that problem again I will order the relay harness from Black Dragon I had posted on this harness a couple of weeks ago I guess it does work. Just look at the thumb nail posted on #6 reply look at the connectors you can see the plastic squares.
As previously stated, I already cleaned those contacts. Yes, I did have one of those square peg things pop out and was alarmed at where it came from, but put it back in ok.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:50 PM

In case you have not done this already, check the fuses. I had the same trouble and each headlight had it's own fuse, in the main fuse block on the passenger side. Cleaned the corrosion off, then both lights worked equally bright.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:29 PM
eff good grammar

relays?

10 c