280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

My plans for the Z

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 03:58 PM

My plans for the Z

well as soon as i can find another daily driver im gonna start tearing apart the Z in hopes of rebuilding her somewhat. i know that a lot of you have already done this and i was hoping to get some advice and hints, already got one about the fan. i was toying with the idea of a turbo swap but, not sure if im gonna do that. . . the body is my biggest concern, a lot have told me to just get rid of the car but, i think i'd rather save her and prove them wrong. . . gonna sand blast the whole thing and prime the **** out of it, as well as beef up the underside with good sheet metal so it doesn't rust out again but, anyway if you got any advice or tips i'd appreciate them-thanks

ben
Old 05-16-2005, 05:51 PM

I don't know how your frame rail-like thingys under the car look, but mine are all bent out of proportion, wavy, and otherwise crushed. I'm going to cut them off the underside of my car, and in their place I'm going to double-up some square tubing in the stock location and tie it into the front frame rails, and also add some mounts for the future cage.

I need to get crackalackin on bodywork, so I can start going to car shows and whatnot. Now that I've got a job, my first check will go to exhaust and struts. Then she's legal to roam the streets .

I can't think of anything else, but I'll let you know if anything pops into my head. I think you and I are in the same boat, bodywork-wise.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:44 PM

im in the proccess of the whole turbo engine swap. I just got it over the weekend! Do it its worth it because its coooool
Old 05-17-2005, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by DarrellBuddy321
im in the proccess of the whole turbo engine swap. I just got it over the weekend! Do it its worth it because its coooool
yeah, i want to but, im so pooooor. . . well not really im just bad at saving money and insurance bites me in the *** every month, and i gotta think about moving out soon.

dorifto: the tube railing sounds like a good idea. . im just gonna get a bunch of sheetmetal and weld the **** out of everything, then prime/seal the bunch of it so it'll never rust again . . . well not for a long long time anyway.

update: just found a welding that im gonna buy next tuesday hopefully, lincoln 110 nascar edition ( ugh i know) wired fed via flux wire ie no gas needed. . . major bodywork will commence in 7 days. . . maybe
Old 05-17-2005, 09:24 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by Fla280zxDrifter
update: just found a welding that im gonna buy next tuesday hopefully, lincoln 110 nascar edition ( ugh i know) wired fed via flux wire ie no gas needed. . . major bodywork will commence in 7 days. . . maybe
Where are you getting it and how much are you paying?