280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Ignition Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 06:16 PM

Ignition Problems

Still going through diagnosing my ignition issues, pulled a coil from an '85 300zx Turbo to see if it made a difference.. I went to pull mine out today and all the wires that connect to the bottom side fell apart.

Anyone have any idea how these go back together? The blue and black (With yellow wires that look like the go to the ECU) connect to what looks like the ICM and the other blue comes out of the harness where there is a clip into the ICM..

I think the blue and black pair both connect to one of the pins in the bottom of the coil, while the seperate blue attaches to the other pin, but I am not certain.

(Sorry I didnt notice how badly focused these were until I got them onto my computer)

Old 07-11-2012, 04:14 PM

What I seem to be getting from these is that both wires coming from the ICM should be connected to the "negative" or horizontal pin (I guess depending on how you look at it), while the separate blue wire connects to the other. Any thoughts?

Forgot to mention, first picture is of the 300zx FSM, second is the 280zx FSM.

Last edited by ThaPimpShrimp; 07-11-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:00 PM

Oh and on a side note, I live in a canyon and a fire has started and evacuations may be coming soon.. fire is pretty small now but who knows.

Fire near Foresthill forces evacuations | Foothills/Tahoe News - KCRA Home

Picture from my house..

Oh boy!!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:20 AM

So I was evacuated from my house last night but my car is still there. I fumbled around in the dark last night trying to get it wired up and I kinda got it to run when I connected both blue wires to one pin and the black to the other, however it was terrible and I couldnt get it out of my driveway.

My insurance doesnt cover my car burning so I need to get it out of there. I dont have any way to tow it right now.. I would appreciate it so much if someone could help out and figure out how to wire up this damn thing...

I can't afford to lose my car, my job isn't that great..
Old 07-13-2012, 09:22 AM
The Good Twin

Push it down the street? No one has a truck and tow rope ($10 at Walmart)?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Push it down the street? No one has a truck and tow rope ($10 at Walmart)?
Yeah that'll be my last effort I suppose. I have some in my truck now. I still do need some help though and I would like to get it connected right. I have no idea how to do it.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:48 AM
Externally Wastegated

From what it looks like to me, the blue wires with the condenser attach to each other, and the clip to the ignition module needs to be hooked up. The black with white wire is a power wire, so connect it back to whatever wire it is clipped from. I don't know what the yellow wires are for, but if you're not using a z31 ecu setup, you shouldn't need any extra wiring since a coil is basically power and ground wires only.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by lifegrddude
From what it looks like to me, the blue wires with the condenser attach to each other, and the clip to the ignition module needs to be hooked up. The black with white wire is a power wire, so connect it back to whatever wire it is clipped from. I don't know what the yellow wires are for, but if you're not using a z31 ecu setup, you shouldn't need any extra wiring since a coil is basically power and ground wires only.
It is currently set up with the two blue wires connecting to one pin, and the black wire connecting to the other pin. It barely runs but its the only way I've gotten it to run at all. I am running the z31 ecu, but this thing used to be set up correctly, problem is that when I was pulling out the coil, it all fell apart. I'll play around with it some more today I hope.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:46 AM

im new at this forum, and this is the only way ui could find to post my problem. i have a 83' 280zx non turbo. ive almost completely restored it but my only problem is that as soonas i giveit gas the engine stops and it idles at .5 rpm, i have taken my car to a dozen shop and no one can find the problem . pelease help me
Old 03-31-2013, 11:45 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Get the FSM from XenonS130 and go through the electrical section. In particular the AFM and CHTS. Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks - replacing the old vacuum lines is cheap and easy. I always recomend replacing all the connectors on your 30+ year old EFI harness.

Did you adjust the idle?