280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Engine swap in progress

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 07:59 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by s/cL3.0
him and carl are probably tearing up[ the freeways right now..
Speakin of which, I just past a SLC Sheriff on the freeway cruzin home... I was only goin about 120 in the bimmer... Scared the hell outta me! He just flipped his lights on & off real quick. HA! Bastard musta been headin home for dinner.

Sorry for the post hijacking... just my adrenaline pumpin!
Old 02-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet. Lets get some clips of that exhuast! Congratuf*ckinlations, Wildman. Now just make sure to come out this way around, say, late april . . . . ?
Old 02-22-2006, 10:08 PM

Congratulations Wildman. So glad that you got him up and running.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:56 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by apollo
We all know what you really have . . .Its a very common case of Iricedoutmyhondabutcallitlegit-acyphalis. Easily remidied. Ditch the grocery getter. And here you are putting the blame on the daughter whose college money you used to get your Z where it is today. Tsk tsk tsk . .
Ah Jake, you just gotta kick a guy when he's down... That really hurts man...

"where it is today." is in the shop still gettting re-re-re-painted...

I still gotta get the suspension out to powder coat, get the engine, tranny, diff & CV's re-installed...

How many days left until MSA...? tick tock tick tock...

I may end up drivin' the 240z. I won't have to worry about burning out points once I get the new Crane electronic ignition installed, so it should be able to make it without any trouble. Whether or not I want to drive it down on that hard *** suspension or trailer it is another story...
Old 02-23-2006, 05:48 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Damn post hijackers! LOL.

Anyway all I can say is wow, and damn this is the sh#t guys! And s/c's the man right now. Mad props to him, for getting my Z running. A simple AFM became a major friggin' headache. But I do need to put my NGK plugs back in. He still isn't quite where he should be. And I think the timing is just a little bit retarded. But I was so friggin' happy, and on cloud nine. It was so nice to see him out of the driveway. I drove him to work, got off at 2:30am, went to Carl's work. And then went to another friend of mine's work. And showed them my Z, and spread my joy to them.

Once again, thanks to everybody for being there for me. And doing all you can, and could with my project, and getting him roadworthy. It means a lot to me, and there are not enough words to describe what to say to you. For all that you guys have done.

Now next thing is to get my damn speedo, and odometer working. Also swapping out my rear struts out of my '81. Because the struts are gone in the '82. And then finishing up my interior. I have this Friday off, so I am going to continue on my interior. And post some more pics. But first I need to swap to my NGK plugs, and put my new dizzy in. And keep the current one for a spare. I might as well, since I already got it. And I wouldnt' want to ask my dad to take it back. Because it would be like slapping him in the face. And his boss also. The regular price was $400, and I got it for $215. So I will keep it, and use it.

Okay I think that is all for now, and I will let you know, as I progress, and get this Z looking better cosmetically.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:00 AM
Bleach is my Hero

WOW?!?!? You actually got out of your car j/k
Old 02-23-2006, 06:03 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Ha Ha your'e too funny man. I do have to get out of it here and there. But it was fun to drive him around, and pop the exhaust. Because the BCCD valve is plugged off. Anyway going to bed now, had a long night. And I would like to do a couple of things before I go back to work this afternoon. Mainly my plugs, and getting my speedo, and odo to work. Later for now, and thanks once again. You know who you are.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:59 AM

I have to chime in here....I heard the car last night at my work, and it sounds sweet!! I could hear Wildman driving away for a good half mile or so. A little dialing in, and it's gonna be gold!

This has been a journey for everyone, and I for one, being a small part of it have learned a LOT from the experience. Aaron has done what I never would've attempted, and gets a ton of credit from me for doing so. My hat is way off to him for having the cahonies for pulling it off...

Good Job, buddy!!
Old 02-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Hey Wildman, lets get a clip of that exhuast up here!!! CCCMmmmmoooonnnn!
And Wade . . . .cmon man. Whats up now? From the most recent pics it looked fine! Yes, maybe it wont be to the golden warren standards which is fine, but at least showcase a year+ worth of work at MSA. Mine wont be finished for sure. * sigh * I feel your pain. So just show up. I think you're better off making it down with the 280 anyways. I dont think someone with your . . .shall we say, syndrome, is in any condtion to work on your cars.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Big Poppa

Go To See You Drivin Around Aaron, Enjoy It As Much S Possible.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Big Poppa

Hey Aaron, Checked Your Pms Lately, Theres Pics Of That Grille.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:34 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I guess I had to take a little more pain. I was so happy showing my Z. And then I got home, backed him into the driveway. And lo and behold, the driver's side tire was flat as a pancake! So I decided to deal with it when I got up. Okay I get out there, and start airing it up. Okay looks fine so far, so I let it sit there, and inflate. Well I start noticing the PSI is hardly moving. So I turn off the compressor, and I hear a hissing sound. Oh great I said, there is definately something in my tire. So I start investigating, and I find a item, that sort of looks like a hairpin, but 3-4 times bigger, and 3 to 4 inches long! And it was straight into my tire! AHHH!! Anyway I start to jack him up, and take the tire off. And it had a pretty good size hole in it. Unfortunately I didn't have time, to take it to the tire place to have it fixed. So I popped the hatch on my Celica, and found a great spare tire in there. And it had the same 4 bolt pattern. I am like okay, even though it is a Toyota wheel. So I take off the flat, and put the other wheel on. Looks good so far, and then I install it. And it fits, and I am thinking, man I am golden. So I start to air it up, and put the lugnuts on. DOh, there is a space, and it wobbles a little. Okay, so I take him down the street a bit, and turn him around. And park him on the street. And while I was driving him, I heard little noises in the back. And I am like, well, that is not safe. So I had to drive my Celica to work, and I was a little bummed out. So I am getting up early this morning. And take the flat to get fixed, and bring another wheel, and put a used tire on it for a spare. In case this happens again.

Okay Apollo, I am sorry but I don't have a video camera, to record my exhaust. or I would, and the other thing is. I don't have a clue how to download it on my computer. That and I am using my dinosaur old '98 computer. Because my built one took a crap. But believe me, I would love to make a video of my Z, and his exhaust sound.

Carl thanks buddy, for the props. And you get credit also, for being there, and helping out when and what you can or could. We both have learned a lot from this motor swap. And I am still shocked that I actually did this, with the little experience I have. But now, I have a whole lot more under my belt. And it is great, and friggin' sweet!

s/c you are the man also, for helping out. In getting my motor hooked in, and getting stuff hooked back up. And a big thanks for getting my Z running. And anything you want or need help with. I will be there for you if I can.

As for everybody else, once again. Thanks for being there every step of the way. You all know who you are, and anything you want or need help. My offer remains the same.

And yes after a little more dialing in, and working the bugs out. My Z will be top notch. Will keep you all updated as I go, and that's a promise.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:39 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by SHADY280
Hey Aaron, Checked Your Pms Lately, Theres Pics Of That Grille.
Yes I did Shady and thanks. So what you are saying is, you only have one '82 front grille? If so, I will let Carl have it. But I still need to know shipping so I can tell him. Go ahead and PM me the cost. Also I am sure I need more parts, but I need to figure out what I need. I will get back to you on that.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Ah, ok. Well if you run into a friend with a point and shoot digital camera sometimes they have video capabilities. Just good to have your Z up and alive. Lotta blood sweat and tears. Congrats.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by apollo
Ah, ok. Well if you run into a friend with a point and shoot digital camera sometimes they have video capabilities. Just good to have your Z up and alive. Lotta blood sweat and tears. Congrats.
I shoulda filmed some with my phone.. ooops.. When we meet at the pavillions I will shoot it.. (Thats after mine is done)