240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 01:58 AM

engine swap

well okay, i dont know anything much about Zs...and before you flame me i TRIED searching for this topic but i couldnt get ketwords like "454" or "v8" or "big block"(only block) because of the search settings.

but anyway,

my father has a Z (240...i think its a 72) that he's letting me work on, and i have the option of keeping it after i'm through if i want it (he's giving me 3,000 to spend, whatever else id have to get out of my pocket)

while id like to keep the original engine, id like a hell of a lot more to swap in a chevy v8.

BUT, ok most of the posts i've found were talking about small block chevy engines, up to a 350...is it possible to put in a long block 454?

any idea how much it would cost? minus installation because that's on me...but for example the engine itself, the clip, any other modifications required/recommended

thats basically it....thanks a lot!

-sean
Old 05-27-2005, 07:13 AM

Welcome to Zdriver! Don't worry about being "flamed", most everyone here is more than kind, and will answer even the most simple questions.

From what I've seen, only small block v8's fit in a Z. The reason being is space. There are little bits of fabrication here and there, and some obstacles to overcome (such as the distributor being right next to/under the hood latch, but if you go to www.jagsthatrun.com, they have kits and information on how to do a v8 swap, such as how to fabricate/where to buy new motor mounts, which radiator to swap to, what differential to put in, and so on and so forth.

Good Luck, and welcome to Zdriver!
Old 05-27-2005, 09:23 AM

Also if you're interested in this kind of swap you may want to visit hybridz.org as those guys are hard core swap happy.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:57 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by krescent
BUT, ok most of the posts i've found were talking about small block chevy engines, up to a 350...is it possible to put in a long block 454?

any idea how much it would cost? minus installation because that's on me...but for example the engine itself, the clip, any other modifications required/recommended
Even if you could get it in, a 454 would crush the front suspension on that Z. I put a Ford 460 .060 over bored w/ C6 tranny into an '82 Mustang and the car was scary fast, until you wanted to turn...

You can make crazy horsepower with a 350 and it'll be cheaper and easier than any other engine combination on the planet.

Call a local junk yard and ask them how much they want for a 5.7L engine/tranny and electronics out of a full size Chevy pickup or even a Camaro. You'll be amazed how cheap they are.

http://www.hybridz.org
Old 05-27-2005, 11:47 AM
Z Extreme Guy

i saw one with a 454 in it and it fit but not too much extra room but enght. waight wise he said it was a 200lbs hevier so thats not yo bad.he did have to stifen up the supention on it but when you put moor power in your z you should always do supention and brake upgrades
Old 05-27-2005, 12:48 PM

cool thanks guys

quick question though.....how much more money would it be for an LT1 in it? are vette engines in like a whole different league?

oh and ok, if you buy a chevy 350 engine/tranny..does that mean the car will now be a 5 speed or retain its original 4?

Last edited by krescent; 05-27-2005 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:22 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

quick question though.....how much more money would it be for an LT1 in it? are vette engines in like a whole different league?
An LT1 is probably the ideal balance of performance potential and cost. It all depends on where you get your motor. If you can get it comlete and cheap from a junk yard, you'll save a lot of money. If you have to part it together, it'll cost an arm and a leg. But this goes for any swap. There's no way to put a dollar amount on it without knowing what your starting with.

When you say 'vette engine' are you talking about LS1 or the new LS2? I know a guy in Walnut Creek, CA that is putting a new LS2 into his 240z. He bought the motor new from a Chevy dealer in Texas. It cost him $10k just for the motor. A new LS1 is cheaper by about $4k.

If you can get one out of a junk yard complete, you'll save a bundle on the motor.

oh and ok, if you buy a chevy 350 engine/tranny..does that mean the car will now be a 5 speed or retain its original 4?
Depends on what tranny you get with the motor. Those motors came with everything from a 3 speed automatic to a 6-speed manual.

It will definitely NOT retain the original 4 speed. That 30 year old Datsun tranny won't bolt up to a 350 without serious modification and if it did, it would explode from the torque. Seriously explode. I have visions of tranny components slicing through the trans tunnel and removing important limbs from any passengers...

Seriously, you should do some searching on http://www.hybridz.org
Old 05-29-2005, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by lww
I have visions of tranny components slicing through the trans tunnel and removing important limbs from any passengers...

LOLOLOLOLOL thanks everyone, yeah i have an idea of everything now..went to hybridz, thanks!
Old 05-30-2005, 01:00 AM

someone told me it is possible to drop a larger engine in if you cut the wheel wells